The 22 KHZ Tone Inserter Test

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

alebowgm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Hey,

Recently I went and purchased a 22 KHZ Tone Inserter from Dave's Web Shop (and USPS took 12 days to ship it... urgh). Now what is a 22 KHZ Tone Inserter and how does this work with Dish Network. Basically, it is a tiny device with an on - off switch, when on it generates a 22 KHZ tone, which is used my many integrated LNB's (that are not Dish Pro), such as the new DirecTV Phase III Integrated Switch, for the 20x18 Dish. Being a customer of both DirecTV and Dish Network, I am in the position where I want as few dish's on the roof as possible with as many signals as possible. Here is what I have on the roof,

1 18' Round Dual LNB Dish pointed at 61.5
1 20' Dish500 Twin LNB pointed at both 110/119
1 20x18 Phase III Integrated LNB pointed at 101/109.8/119

The 61.5 and 110/119 is combined via an SW21 into my Dish Network 2800 Reciever.

The 4 Outputs on the Phase III dish are sent to a Terk BMS-58 22 KHZ Integrated Multiswitch (5 Input --> 8 Output). In actuallity, there is only 5 outputs that are in constant use, with 2 Outputs that are ran to the basement for any future development that is done down their (may go and build a new bedroom or game room) with the final output not in use running to the office, where there is already an output for a Directv RCA 420.

Now back to the 22 KHZ Tone Inserter. DirecTV uses standered 13V/18V for its 101 Satellite and recievers that are considered 'DTV+' have the ability to send a 13V/22KHZ or 18V/22KHZ Tone down the line to tell the Phase III Dish to switch from the 101 to 109.8/119 location. Most multiswitches block the 22KHZ tones, however the BMS-58 has it integrated in to the reciever to allow it to pass. Since Dish Network recievers are unable to send the proper 13V/22KHZ or 18V/22KHZ tone to the Phase III dish, we typically can't use the Phase III DirecTV dish's for Dish Network. Hence, if you want one dish you are forced to use the Torriedal Superdish with its Reversed Poliarities LNB, but the sizes start at just over 1/2 a Meter Wide. Alternativly, you can get an older DirecTV Phase I or Directv Phase II Dish, which uses a 'W' Bracket and older Legacy LNB's with switches to combine the signal. These work flawlessly with both DirecTV and Dish Network. However, if you can find these, they retail for about $150 USD (at least the ones I have found). In turn, the newer Phase III dishes are as low as $40 USD (which is what I paid for mine at a local flea market that was going out of business). Thus, we use the 22 KHZ Tone Inserter to send 13V/22 KHZ or 18V/22KHZ Tone down the line to the Phase III Dish to tell it to go to the 119 location for Dish Network. This doesn't work for the 109.8 or 110 location, as DirecTV uses a non-standard LNB for this location (Called Sat-C).

So I took the extra feed for the Phase III 101/109.8/119, added the 22 KHZ Tone Inserter and set it to the On Position. I connected it to the SW-21 with the 61.5 still connected. In an interesting result, the 2800 detected a signal on the line with the Tone Inserter however it said it was 110 Echostar, not 119 Echostar. This caught me off guard. I went and did a Check Switch, which detected the SW-21 with 61.5 on port 1 and 119 on port 2. However the satellite signal meter still said there was a signal on the 110 and not the 119. (Note: Signal Strength Difference between the Phase III and the Dish500 was mid 70's on Phase III vs. low 100's on Dish500, which is still useable).

Went and acquired a new program guide and it only downloaded the 119 channels, which worked fine.

What does this mean? I plan to go back up on the roof later this week and take down the Dish500 Twin LNB and replace it with either a Dual LNB or an 18' Round Dish and Dual LNB pointed at 110 only. I will then use a SW-21 and SW-21x to bring the 3 Signals together. I may also go and try a SW-64 I recently found, however that will require running several additional wires.

My main concern is why the 2800 detected it as the 110 location and now 119. I am not sure, but my hypothesis is that the 2800 uses a 22 KHZ Tone as well to detect if it is a 110 or 119, although when it goes to download from the program guide it gets the proper data. I am not sure what the reciever will do if it has two different signals from the 110 coming it, but as long as the Check Switch works, I think it will be fine. I will post results when I do it.

If anyone is asking what is the purpose. Well it was a fun and easy test with a minimal cost. Furthermore, I may be able to keep some heat off of me for having 3 dish's on the roof by getting a (albeit) smaller dish out there. Finally, there are some rooms where I don't want to add additional wiring for a Dish Network reciever and want to maintain the DirecTV reciever as well. I would be willing to go and only obtain programming off of the 119 in those rooms from Echostar and use a A/B Switch to choose what reciever will get the feed from the Phase III.

There are other possibilities I am sure as well.

This may work rather well for some who have their locals on the 119 satellite and don't order PPV's.

It was a fun test, I will post pictures and results of the upcoming tests when they happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts