The 22K/DISEqC compatibility mystery

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Wisconsin
Okay, I did some checking into why the 22K switch won't talk to a DISEqC digital switch. Well, it sorta does, but it mumbles. I didn't use a 4x4 22K unit in this test, only two varieties of two-way switches for a comparison. The 22K quality switch made by Hughes, and a cheaper design made by Gecen.

The problem with 22K Hughes switches is that they won't pass clean DISEqC commands. DISEqC switches will pass enough of the 22K tone to switch a sensitive 22K switch. To select 8 feeds with four 22K switches, one on each of the four ports of a DISEqC switch, might not be a good idea.. The problem with that plan is the surface mount voltage switching transistors in the DISEqC switch can get very hot. This is because the voltage flowing through an active port is twice what it should be, due to the design of the Hughes 22K switches, that do not switch the DC voltage. They select the RF of either port on command, but the voltage is not switched. The good thing about that design is there are no sensitive voltage switching transistors to be damaged by shorts or surges, as in the more vulnerable and unforgiving DISEqC variety of switch.

Using one 22K switch by itself is not a problem, but connecting it after a DISEqC is a problem. I've burned out a port on at least one DISEqC switch because the transistors couldn't take the extra load of two lnbf's being powered at once. Installing the 22K switch ahead of the DISEqC switch won't work, because the digital command riding on the voltage is filtered inside the 22K switch. Thus, the DISEqC switch receives a suppressed digital command with severe wave shape distortion. This problem has been bothering me because I want to use one 22K switch ahead of two DISEqC 4-way switches to select 8 feeds. I don't want to use one DISEqC switch with four 22K switches, too many components and cabling connections, and the heavier load on the DISEqC caused by the 22K switch always passing voltage. I solved the problem with the HUGHES switches by removing the 22K electrolytic cap, the only one on the circuit board The DC is passed from the input through a choke and filtered by that capacitor before exiting both output ports. The switch works fine without the filter capacitor, and the DISEqC switches work great on the two output ports.

This works for the HUGHES 22K switch, but it won't for other models of 22K switches that do switch DC at the output ports, such as the Gecen SW-03. As a side note, the SW-34 Dishnet switches do not pass commands, but do pass DC simultaneously on all three ports. I've never noticed a 'chattering' problem due to command interference in a 22K switch / DISEqC switch combo. The loss of control, in my tests, is due to a capacitance time constant effect that distorts the digital command waveform prior to being received by the DISEqC switch. It's getting to the point where I'm about to build my own switches. A custom 22K switch and two DISEqC, compatible and within one case.

I hope this helps to clear some of the confusion, and can make a more preferable situation possible, including 4X4 multi-switches, if someone has that goal in mind.

-sidha

Last edited:
anyone listening? anyone care?

Very interesting technical info
I wish the switch mfgrs would take notice of these problems and solve them properly.

How about an external power connection to take the load off the switches?
Wouldn't that be better than the existing problem?

There's another thread in this section where some members are discovering how to chain similar switches, and found that things aren't so rosey.

On a side note, Twinhan cards can't seem to put out a decent 22khz to reliably command diseqc switches.
There is a mod published to fix the switches (not the card :rolleyes: ).
It would be nice if one of our forum sponsors would order up some custom diseqc switches with the simple mod installed.
We're just talking about the addition of a couple of strategically located capacitors...
It'd sure make a lot of customers very happy.

Last edited:
I use a spaun uncommited 4x1 it looks like a big diseqc 4x1, but I can connect upto four 4x1's to the uncommited siwtch's 4 ports.

so 16 inputs.

if I put 22khz switching on all those 16 ports I could input 32 sats.

not all ird's support uncommited switch's

if your using good quality switch's then you shouldnt have a problem with the load being an issue. and as long as your ird has good current output.

my twinhand vp-1020 is terrible, when I had it on the motor it was pathetic how slow the motor moved on the outer arcs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)