THe 522 DVR is indeed healed!

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I was in the same boat as most other 522 users, that is that the thing had become nearly worthless as a DVR due to instability when trying to play a recording.

Most of the problems seem to have come from software version L412. Now L413 is getting dripped out to all 522 owners and it seems to be THE fix.

In case you haven't been following this, L413 adds video on demand that Dish calls Dish on Demand. With it you can buy and watch any of 5 or 6 movies they have downloaded to your receiver while you slept. Also they offer some free programs but I haven't got first hand experience with these as they have yet to download to my machine.

My 522 was upgraded yesterday afternoon. Besides fixing the flaky performance and adding Dish on Demand L413 adds a new feature to Themes & Search.

Some observations:
The Themes & Search modifications are the fantastic. Because you can modify and narrow the search I was able to find out, for instance, that there will be 3 Humphrey Bogart movies on in the next 8 days and that among the 473 horror movies scheduled the original Dracula and the original Frankenstein movies will be shown along with Son of Frankenstein staring both Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff not to mention Basil Rathbone thrown in for good measure.

One other poster mentioned that he dis-liked the fact that Themes & Search showed both subscribed and unsubscribed channels in the results. I most definitely didn't like this feature of the guide listing of my first model 4000 receiver eight years ago, but in this one case it doesn't get in the way and could even help me find a channel that I had thought not useful but where searches show an unsubscribed channel broadcasts content I'm looking for.

One more example; searching sports-football-keyword NFL lets me see and set timers to catch all the pro games in the next eight days. Something that before this update was a pretty tedious exercise.

On the DOD:
I can take it but I'd just as soon leave it. The free things seem to be things from channels I already subscribe to and would watch or record when they first air. As to the movies, well... I'm just not a "got to see the latest Hollywood blockbuster" kind of guy. In fact, I pay for less than one movie a YEAR. If it's a good flick, it'll still be a good flick when it lands on the free movie channels like the TMCs and the 7 E channels.

On the flaky performance caused by 412:
It does seem to be completely cured.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars, so long as I don't find out the space to record isn't reduced by DOD.

Oh and one other note about DOD, since I don't turn my receiver off, except in special circumstances , I don't think the DOD stuff will get downloaded to my receiver very often.

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts