The 942 is HERE!

I noticed that the same antenna system that was giving me flawless local digital & HD with my Voom receiver was sucking big time with this 942.
I took a look with my spectrum analyzer and all looked well to me on the offending KCAL & PBS. Signal waveforms looked well within reason. I decided to test a theory and connected a Winegard UT 2700 and made adjustments to the high edge of 43 (KCAL) and the lower edge of 59 (PBS). I actually had to put slope into waveforms that are typically measured "best" if straight across with less than 5 dB slope. ( I imagine that the center of my filter was blocking interference from the adjacent analog channels and the edge of the filter was slightly laid over the digital carriers). Now they seem to be working without tiling whereas they were unwatchable with signal qualities in the high 80's and low 90s.

It seems to me that the bandwidth is too wide on the 942 tuner OR that their tuner is not stable or is off center.

Any other converts that all of the sudden are having OTA problems?

klen said:
I just signed up, and got the 942 on the lease. They said that they would upgrade me for free when they go MPEG4, but why would they come out with this thing now and not have it capable?

-k

Hope you got that upgrade promise in writing. ;) J/K, not much risk in a leased receiver.

The 942 was already in testing when Charlie dropped the MPEG-4 bomb. They had already spent the R&D money on it and needed a replacement HD-DVR for the bug infested 921, so out came the 942.

NightRyder

What about us ordinary mortals (ie, current subscriber)? When will the 942 be available for lease to us? Will it ever be? Does anybody know? Rumors/speculation welcome. Thanks!

(If this was answered earlier, please clue me in.)

Probaby never. I don't think they want that many out there, so don't expect them to lease to all their existing subs. The lease to new subs is just an ordinary incentive deal. If you want a 942, you'll have to pay the $699 for one

BFG said:
Probaby never. I don't think they want that many out there, so don't expect them to lease to all their existing subs. The lease to new subs is just an ordinary incentive deal. If you want a 942, you'll have to pay the $699 for one

Bryan,

Thanks. I was afraid the above might be the case. I wouldn't have minded paying the $699, but with the upcoming MPEG4 switch-over, it is too much for a short/medium-term solution.

E* finally comes up with a HD DVR worth having, but they've to frustrate their long term customers somehow! Bummer!

I wont mind paying the $699 either, if I can get them to tell me that it will be replaced by the MPEG4 DVR version and that I'd still own that one. I'm probably 70% confident that they will be replacing the box if I buy it but the uncertainty does scare me.

Also I'm still trying to figure out what's more logical: Pay for a bunch of programming and keep my lease equipnent OR Drop a bunch of programming and buy the HD-DVR, both scenarios would cost roughly the same so I just gotta determine what I'd rather have a HD-DVR without the standard definition packs, or the standard packs and my leased 811

All my local sat guys want $1,000 to $1,200 for a 942 including installation. It's unavailable from Dish directly at any price for existing customers.

They gotta be kidding. It's not like I don't have the money, but I'm not entirely stupid (contrary to what my wife may say).

Why does Dish screw over their existing customers like this?

David Dietzel said:
All my local sat guys want $1,000 to $1,200 for a 942 including installation. It's unavailable from Dish directly at any price for existing customers.

They gotta be kidding. It's not like I don't have the money, but I'm not entirely stupid (contrary to what my wife may say).

Why does Dish screw over their existing customers like this?

Vann's has it for $699 with free shipping. The site says they are in stock. Maybe you could self install?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/467749422?v_c=Yahoo

-k

BFG said:

I hope this is not the case!

I need help. When i first got my 942 installed all my OTA's (only two where I live) worked. The other day i noticed that channel 20 is not working. The signal strength reads between 80 and 93 but the screen is black. I have one coax coming into the house then a diplexer is used to spit the signal into OTA and the two sat signals. Then into the 942. I took the OTAcoax and plugged it directly into the tv and channel 20 works fine. What do you think. SHould i bring the OTA into the house on its own coax and try it that way?

I'm having similar issues with relatively strong Chicago locals on my 942. I've had technicians out to check the lines on my recent install and they even did a swap-out with 811s into the room where the 942 is (811 got everything fine) and rewired straight from the antenna, bybassing the diplexer, and the 942 still had reception issues with most locals besides the big three networks and PBS (many of those not coming in well had signal strengths reading from 70s to mid-90s). The technician shrugged, said the box was new and they weren't sure what the issue was.

Something is definitely awry in the 942s OTA tuner. Don't know if its resolvable via software update or what but I hope it can be fixed and soon.

942 Installation question - Heat

Hello there,

I'm posting here rather than starting a new thread, but if someone thinks this would do better on its own then feel free to move it.

I am curious about how people have been faring with the 942 in a stack of A/V components. Have people been having difficulty with heat?

My 942 has arrived and is ready for installation. I'd really like to integrate it into the stack under my TV along with my receiver, VCR (!) and DVD player just as I did with my TiVo when I had Voom. I'd like to put it on the bottom of the stack under the DVD player with the Receiver at the top of the stack (the amplifier in the latter obviously generates a fair amount of heat when on). Would I need to boost the height of the DVD player above the 942 to allow for ventilation? If so, would an extra inch or two suffice?

If this won't work I'll have to have the 942 arranged vertically beside the stereo unit. Though not very aesthetically pleasing This would allow the top of the 942 to be completely open for cooling and I could boost the side of box to allow for circulation between the unit and the carpet.

CDH.

Update on my 942 tuner issues, as I've posted elsewhere...

A $10 Radio Shack variable attenuator seems to eliminate the multipath issues and allow solid channel reception on a broad range of Chicago Locals here. Others have reported similar success when having the same OTA probs.

shanewalker said:
Update on my 942 tuner issues, as I've posted elsewhere...

A $10 Radio Shack variable attenuator seems to eliminate the multipath issues and allow solid channel reception on a broad range of Chicago Locals here. Others have reported similar success when having the same OTA probs.

I am using the cheaper in line attenuator for $3.99 from Radio Shack and it has fixed my problems with ota reception . My local CBS was the most powerful station but would break up . I combined my Terk ota atenna to a in line amplifier, plus it's plug in power source to my perfect vision 5 splitter switch , which feeds all my antenna source items. From the switch I use the 3.99 in line attenuator to the back of my 942 and it fixed the problem. I get great signal strength on my 942, which doesn't break up any more. My tv with a built in hd tuner now works fine with all three channels getting solid signal strength. My upconverting dvd player also works with strong signal strength. In all I now have three ota sources with strong signals.

I think the cheap inline attenuator is the key. It worked fine without the amplifier but with it the signal is increased enough to power all my ota tuners . I am getting all of my ota channels with strengths between 75 - 90 now. The CBS is now doing at least 89-90 , where before it would fluctuate wildly from 72 - 83 and back down to 62. Now CBS is good between 83-89 . I am very pleased now. :D

Is there any way to enter a digital OTA channel on the remote. I am looking for a '-' button but can not find it. For example, if I want to go to my ABC HD channel(10-1), I go to channel 10-00 and then I have to press page up to go to 10-1. Is there any way where I can just enter '10-1' to go straight to the digital OTA channel?

Enter the channel number in the format of XXX-XX, that is for you top get 10-01, enter 01001. That's all. :)

Channel 7-02 would be "00702"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)