The A to Z User's Guide to the AZBox

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stargaze

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Out there somewhere
Since the az-box manual is lacking in many areas for the North American market Radar & Myself have worked on a user guide to help people out as they have many of the same questions over and over again.
In-between satellite surfing and answering questions and working at figuring out this receiver this guide was put together using the experience of real users of this receiver. This should give every new user and even those who have been using the Az-box for some time, a quick reference point for those times when they run into an area they have forgotten or have not yet tried out. All this information is out there but just not in one place. So here it is. It should be very beneficial!

(If the moderators want to put a copy of this under the manual section feel free to do so)

Attachments

• The A to Z User's Guide to the AZBox_v1.2.pdf
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,843
Since the az-box manual is lacking in many areas for the North American market Radar & Myself have worked on a user guide to help people out as they have many of the same questions over and over again.
In-between satellite surfing and answering questions and working at figuring out this receiver this guide was put together using the experience of real users of this receiver. This should give every new user and even those who have been using the Az-box for some time, a quick reference point for those times when they run into an area they have forgotten or have not yet tried out. All this information is out there but just not in one place. So here it is. It should be very beneficial!

(If the moderators want to put a copy of this under the manual section feel free to do so)

You might want to add that when you click on "send to azbox" in the ACC that you'll need to know where your edited files are located since you'll be prompted for them. Your instructions implies that they are automatically uploaded to the Azbox.

Also, does anyone know how to change the Ultra power LED to green? During a reboot I noticed that one of the LED's (I assume that it's the power LED) cycles between red, yellow, and green. A red colored power indicator is annoying to me. Also, what does the other red LED indicate?

It is on page 17:
what you need to do to the channel list is to save it to your computer where you know it is. There will be 3 files saved.

But I have looked at what you have seen and will make that minor detail known for any future versions of the guide.
If you have some suggestions pm me your email and I will get back with you. I am only looking to make sure the guide is useful for everyone to help them with things that were not told to us in the original manual. There were three people who looked it over before my posting of it at no-one caught that part you mentioned. It is one of those implied things that people would automatically see when they get to actually doing that part.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know how to change the Ultra power LED to green? During a reboot I noticed that one of the LED's (I assume that it's the power LED) cycles between red, yellow, and green. A red colored power indicator is annoying to me. Also, what does the other red LED indicate?

On the Ultra the light is always red. I just presumed it was one of those items they cut back on to keep the cost down on the receiver.
The Premium plus has the front panel display which makes it a much more desired unit IMO.

You might want to add that when you click on "send to azbox" in the ACC that you'll need to know where your edited files are located since you'll be prompted for them. Your instructions implies that they are automatically uploaded to the Azbox.

If you utilize the "TOOLBOX", all the programs appear to work together and therefore save the files to the same locality, then they seem to extract them from the same location. I may have to prove this a bit more accurately, but it seems to be operating this way to an extent. This way, you don't have to go searching for the file folder on your PC where you stuffed them in or where one of the programs put them. However, your point is very important. If you extracted all the support programs separately (and/or) you are experimenting with the different programs and trying to keep a control group (like doing a science project) then you want to know where these files are being saved to and where they are being extracted from.

You cannot change the order of these, but the support programs will allow you to go to TelNet and command the LED to be "turned off" if you wish. I don't believe that this would be a permanent command, but it would certainly get you through a movie night in a dark room. Personally, I would just place some sort of blinder over the LEDs. They bother me in the same way and to be honest, I don't really pay attention to anyone of them except the RED LED on my Premium Plus (as that means recording in progress). I like to be able to detect that one on my model to verify that a recording is underway.

As for what each LED represents, I am not sure on your specific model. On my Premium Plus, the red is record, the blue is power is "ON", the green is "HD" format received/being viewed.

It is on page 17:
what you need to do to the channel list is to save it to your computer where you know it is. There will be 3 files saved.

But I have looked at what you have seen and will make that minor detail known for any future versions of the guide.
If you have some suggestions pm me your email and I will get back with you. I am only looking to make sure the guide is useful for everyone to help them with things that were not told to us in the original manual. There were three people who looked it over before my posting of it at no-one caught that part you mentioned. It is one of those implied things that people would automatically see when they get to actually doing that part.

Correct. Most of us have been doing this for quite a long time with other receivers and it has become sort of old hat, second nature ad something that we take for granted that everyone else is familiar with or used to.

On the Ultra the light is always red. I just presumed it was one of those items they cut back on to keep the cost down on the receiver. The Premium plus has the front panel display which makes it a much more desired unit IMO.

Yes, the Premium Plus is very advantageous as you can follow all the menus from what you see on the FPD (front panel display). I don't know if the others do not incorporate this as I only have the Premium and the Premium Plus models.

RADAR

Last edited:
And a thank you from me. Used it today after installing a hard drive into my Ultra, makes things easier when you know what to do, what to expect, and the proper way to navigate and use the menus, etc.

Used it today after installing a hard drive into my Ultra, makes things easier when you know what to do, what to expect, and the proper way to navigate and use the menus, etc.

It does make it much easier to have much of the user info in one place. :)
Now you don't have to spend hours searching out that 1 piece of info your looking for.

The real added benefit is:
We now can sit back and actually watch some TV with the azbox and not answer the same question over and over..:D
Now when a question is asked if it is in the guide we can just give them the link to it.:up

Here is the new revised edition of the AZ Users Guide:

After much editing and revisiting the original file there has been several additions to this pdf file. While trying out the file myself I noticed it would be easier with some page links for those wanting this file on their pc. Getting them to work properly was a challenge and took many different attempts to get it all to work properly. After trying it out on 2 separate computer systems I believe you will find this now to be a much better copy than the first one which I rushed out a bit earlier then I wanted to.

What’s included in this file:

AZ Box Quick Start Instructions:
Setting up the az-box as a slaved receiver:
Directions to bring box from PAL to NTSC format:
Setting up the Network / Loading new Firmware:
Clock / Time & Internet Settings:
FTP’ing to the Azbox using az-box editor programs:
Deleting unwanted satellites instructions:
How to North Americanize your Az-Box:
Hard Drives for the Azbox Recordings:
Timed Recording with Azbox using MazEdit:
How to change the Boot Logo on the azbox:
Changing the order in how channels are stored:
Questions & Answers from different users:
Useful tips on the Az-Box:
How to- completely clean your Azbox HD & Configuration settings:
Western Satellite Chart from 5.0 °W to 85.0 °W ( C & KU ):
Western Satellite Chart from 87.0 °W to 139.0 °W ( C & KU ):
ToolBox AzBox HD 2.0 Program info.:
What program are you using for your FTP Client?:
To move your screen capture pictures from the Azbox to your pc:
Transferring files from the Azbox to your pc:
Secondary Tuners for the Azbox:

This guide should be a big help for all Azbox users and answer most of the questions that have been asked. The original manual was lacking in day to day use options so this is why this file was made.
I hope every az user will find it beneficial.

Attachments

• AZ Guide Version 2.4.pdf
    471.3 KB · Views: 620
I am new to this hobby, and have been lurking long enough to get the picture that AZBOX is the way to go. I will probably go for the premium plus as it appears to offer the most. Any thoughts about that, is it the best bang, or am i missing something? TIA. Ron

My first azbox was the Ultra, it works fine.
My next azbox I bought was the Premium Plus, I happen to like it better,
1) it has a front panel display (comes in handy for many things)
2) it can be connected to my wireless setup, a huge plus in my case.
3) the receiver is larger and seems more robust than the ultra
4) the remote for the Premium Plus is much nicer than the Ultra remote, IMO.
5) if you install an internal hard drive you can tell if it is recording on the plus; the Ultra was not so friendly in this area.
It is all in what you want. both receivers are fine, I just prefer the Premium Plus for the added benefits that make it more user friendly for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)