The Advent of HD - from 1998

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
http://www.businessweek.com/1998/43/b3601009.htm

This is a great article from 1998. D* is supposedly about to implement HD. They may be making money from HD in "three or four years." E* is saying that they will be driven to 720p as the standard format.

I like how D* projected that two HD channels would be sufficient for a couple of years. This seems in line with their present offerings, where adding just a few more HD channels was good enough for 7-8 years.

I'm disappointed in what hasn't happened. I thought there would be more HD channels by 2006. Back in 2001 HD seemed to be gaining a lot of momentum.

My perception of what derailed it, to some degree, is again the lack of emphasis on quality from the public. Most HDTV sets were purchased to watch 480i DVDs. Surveys showed that a large number of consumers thought line-doubled DVDs were HD. Less than one-fourth of the HD sets purchased in the first five years even bothered to connect to a HD channel provider. Therefore with no strong demand for HD channels, there was slower than anticipated growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts