The analog shutdown party thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
it's after midnight and WKYC is still broadcasting an analog signal.. it's a repeating program about the switch but.. yeah it's still on the air.

they are in "nightlight mode"

in the upper midwest there are some too including 2 stations in Minneapolis

The FCC says six Upper Midwest TV stations plan to temporarily continue analog broadcasting for "nightlight" service, consisting of emergency messages and information on how to convert to digital TV:
# Milwaukee: WITI/6 plans nightlight service through June 26.
# Minneapolis-St. Paul: WCCO-TV/4 and KSTP-TV/5 both plan nightlight service through July 12.
# Omaha: KETV/7 plans nightlight service through July 12.
# Quad Cities: KWQC-TV/6 plans nightlight service through June 26.
# Escanaba-Marquette, MI: WJMN-TV/3 plans nightlight service through June 30.

good by channel 58 CBS Milwaukee!
Almost just like when tv first came out, only 2 stations to view :)
Picking up Fox 32 Chicago in nightlight mode (they didn't do anything cool for a sign off)

In Mobile, AL...

WEAR-3 was already gone when I checked this afternoon.

WKRG-5 showed a DTV infomercial loop all day, then signed off at midnight with a retrospective and the national anthem.

WALA-10 had a slate. Didn't see what happened at the end.

WPMI-15 just pulled the plug at midnight in the middle of a commercial. They are supposed to move the digital from 47 to 15 anytime now. Their existing digital HD went to 4x3 mode about 11:30, probably in preparation of reconfiguring it, or perhaps this is backup equipment and the primary is about to come online.

Last edited:
Minneapolis went off I think without a hitch

at 11:59 4 & 5 switched to the "nightlight mode"
9, 11, 29 all went off

the digital version of 5,9,11,29 all went black as 9 & 11 & 29 went to the analog spots and 5 went form DT50 to DT35 (where 11 was until a few minutes ago)

now the fun...I have a UHF Only antenna so lets see how the signals look

well scanned DTV Pal and other than 5 taking until 12:08 to move form 50 to 35 all channels logged in right spots

9 I lost aboujt 8 points (88 down to 80) but using a UHF only antenna would do that

big screen having issues with the channel changes. Wont log them right

edit: had to reset the big screen. Any channel that moved it logged twice. SO it shows
5-1 (mapped correctly to 35)
5-1 (mapped to old channel 50)

if I remove the bad one neither work...so just reset the TV and starting over :(

Last edited:
As of 12:55am, WPMI is now on both DT15 and DT47. It remains to be seen what will happen to the dish local (and how long it will take them to rescan) when DT47 goes away. I'll check on it in the morning...

All of the full power stations here in Portland have shutdown/switched with the exception of KOIN which will be in nightlight mode for 2 weeks.

I watched the all but the last 2. KRCW did it while I was in messing with the Olevia HDTV. And I just barely missed KATU switching off by 5 mins.
Most here just pulled the plug. Nothing classy. :(

3 move from UHF to VHF. One moved within the UHF band. 2 just switched off their analog simulcast.

rescanned this morning and all is fine

2 moved from UHF to VHF
3 moved within UHF (2 back to the analog spot and one from 50 to 35)

Now once ION moves their tower I'll get that back

Channel 6 (WPVI) in the Philadelphia area is having some MAJOR issues. Apparently they switched from UHF 64 to VHF 6 and they are now dark in a lot of their primary viewing areas.

Is it true that stations were advised to avoid the VHF 5-6 frequencies? I used to get their signal free and clear, and now I've got 0% since the switch.

On a side note all other Philly stations made the switch beautifully...and, now, I can finally see WHYY-PBS!!

I guess the question now is what can ABC-6 do about getting their viewers back?

There were only a handful that did got back to VHF LO

Here is the list

Attachments

• US CH 2-6 FULL POWER DIGITAL TV.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 397
Found a youtube lnk to KTCA (PBS) shutdown here in Minneapolis

what's cool is Bill Schrankler, the first person on the air in what was KTCA in September 1957, is the last person on the analog channel

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm0vhW8lT-g&feature=related]YouTube - Twin Cities public TV bids the analog era adieu[/ame]

BYE BYE Analog!

Got PBS in HD in Puerto Rico

2.1 Telemundo
4.1 Wapa
4.2 Wapa Weather Channel
6.1 WIPR PBS
6.2 WIPR Create
6.3 Kids PBS 24h
6.4 VME
6.5 PBS HD
7.1 WSTE
9.11 UNIVISION
11.1 Univision
13.1 WORO
14.1 WMEI
16.1 WMTJ PBS
16.5 WMTJ PBS HD
21.1 WJPX Caribevision
21.2 Carib.
31.1 WSJU Mega
32.1 WTCV
33.1 WDWL
34.1 WECN
42.1 Caribivision
42.1 Caribivision
46.1 WIDP
48.1 WRUA
64.1 WECN

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)