The ANSWER to last night's HD Poll

HD-DVD is 1080i
Blue-Ray is 1080p
That's why Sony advertises themselves as the only true HD Dvd.

And it's wrong. They are in fact 1080p stored; but only the newer HD-DVD units can send 1080p out. Once again though; that's relatively irrelevant assuming a competently built deinterlacer.

I haven't researched sales statistics, but most HD plasmas and HD LCD tv's to the average consumers are 720P at the popular price points. They all seem to jump on the advertising bandwagon though by saying they will display a 1080i or 1080p. Of course, they just downrez to 720p.

Any microdisplay has to either scale to the panel or show it in passthrough (pixel for pixel). That's not exactly new information. Even 1080p displays have to scale to fit their resolution.

Okay, to get picky, most of those "720p" LCD panels really come with 768 vertical pixels and instead of 1280 horizontal, most have 1366 pixels. And does TI really make a true 1920x1080 DLP chip? It's probably "wobbling" to give the appearance of being 1920 pixels wide...

They have a new DMD (Digital Microdisplay Device) that is full 1080p. It's a .95" DMD.

This is used on the new generation FPTVs and some of the RPTVs. All 1080p DLP front projectors have used the 1080p DMD from day 1.

I seriously doubt that 50% of the ViP622's HDMI connectors have failed. Maybe 5%. At 50%, they'd stop shipping due to the great cost of repairs that would sooner or later be required.

I do not know so I am not arguing the point, but what is the difference between a 7" gun and 9" gun?

2" of diameter; and the ability to move the raster (which paints the screen) faster and resolve more lines of picture information.

I have spent EXTENSIVE time calibrating my Mitsu RPTV and it puts plasma, DLP and LCD to shame other than brightness, not to mention I can do black (shadow detail) that no other display technology is even capable of presenting. I cannot count pixels but I know I always host the SB party because I have the best looking set.

It loses in both resolution and ANSI contrast. You have picked on arbiter of quality (black level). Every display technology has weaknesses; but the microdisplays are improving yearly while CRT is a nearly completely abandoned technology. It won't get any better than it is.

Put up a 1080 microburst and you'll see just how much resolution you're losing.

Cheers,

... rant removed ...

I have read that most people, if you are receiving the full outputted signal can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. What, maybe you can see one additional pock mark on the new guy's face on CSI?

It depends on your viewing distance relative to screen size. I can see the difference; but I have an FPTV and sit at 1.33x screen width. That is well within the eyes ability to discriminate between 1080p and 720p.

For folks with flat panels or RPTVs then they may not sit close enough to fully resolve the difference.

I just bought a new satellite I live in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada I need to know the settings for my system:76 cm dish,Ivacom LNB,76 Wineguard dish,SG2100 motor.I want to know which satellite is closest to my location

Welcome to our little community. I suggest you post your question in the FTA forum.

great discussion, whether or not it fits exactly under the thread title. it works like regular conversations, they drift and return, over and over again. lots of good information Kotches and Landis.

great discussion, whether or not it fits exactly under the thread title. it works like regular conversations, they drift and return, over and over again. lots of good information Kotches and Landis.
That's the difference between SatelliteGuys and other forums, we allow topics to drift, realizing that they will return to topic usually on their own with out "divine" intervention... :)

And it's wrong. They are in fact 1080p stored; but only the newer HD-DVD units can send 1080p out.

My bad, I meant to say that HD-DVD players only output 1080i but correct, 1080p is on the disc. :cool: I guess I haven't been keeping up well enough.. I see Toshiba released the HD-XA2 HD-DVD player that will OUTPUT in 1080p also.:eek: So I guess we won't be hearing that SONY Blue-Ray is the only tru HD ads anymore....Wow, 3 different HD-DVD player models released just from Toshiba in such a short period of time. :confused: Gives planned obselence a whole new meaning.:)

That's the difference between SatelliteGuys and other forums, we allow topics to drift, realizing that they will return to topic usually on their own with out "divine" intervention... :)

That's part of the reason I like it here. Sure it can get frustrating when a thread on a subject you care about is "hijacked" for a little while. But the free flow of information makes up for it most of the time. I've never had anything censured here. The other place (we all know where it is) jack boots totally innocuous posts at even the slightest hint of violating their excessive rules.

That's part of the reason I like it here. Sure it can get frustrating when a thread on a subject you care about is "hijacked" for a little while. But the free flow of information makes up for it most of the time. I've never had anything censured here. The other place (we all know where it is) jack boots totally innocuous posts at even the slightest hint of violating their excessive rules.

Aint it the truth.

I didn't read through every post here in this thread, and maybe it was mentioned elsewhere, but now with the MPEG-4 up and running the DVR fast forward and rewind is almost useless. On 4X speed the program flies by much faster than on the other channels using the 4X, and the other speeds skip minutes at a time. That's fine for the 300X, but the 4X is nice to use at times when looking for specific points in the broadcast or coming out of a commercial.

Don't get me wrong, this is something that is minor compared to what this means in the overall scope of broadcasting more channels with the same amount of space, but it may need to be addressed at some point. Just an observation from the peanut gallery!

Yes I do but usually just use the FFW and RW so I can still see what I'm skipping through....if that makes any sense. Now it goes by so fast on those channels that you can barely RW and FFW without missing the point in time completely. It's not only for commercials, as with sports it's nice to be able to back up and rewatch a play or hear what someone said that you may have missed so the 30 Sec skip doesn't work as well in those instances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)