The Banished Words....do YOU agree?

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Every year on the turn of the calendar, Lake Superior State University's "Unicorn Hunters" take words or phrases nominated through the whole 365 days, and "banishes" them from our language....for overuse, for them being non-words, for any number of reasons as nominated by the public. While I'm not alumni of LSSU and never attended there (my sister did, one of our station engineers did,) I enjoy their list each year as part of my new years' routine! I think what they do brings awareness to the degrading of the English language!

I got so sick of "occupy" in our network news each hour, (used as in "the demonstrations) we, at WION decided to add our voice to that nomination quite a few months ago! Our station is not highlighted as one of the reasons it made it to this year's list, but..... I'm GLAD it made the list. View the list here:

Lake Superior State University :: Banished Words List :: Banished Words List

Then, would you....... if you had the power banish OTHER words or phrases....what would they be?

Let's see YOUR list for fun, right here on this site.......or comments on theirs! And, nominate some for NEXT year! Maybe Satellite Guys can contribute to the Unicorn Hunters' list next year!

There are a few phrases or words I have never heard used all year by anyone:

BABY BUMP

WIN THE FUTURE

TRICKERATION

These words must be an East Coast thing, because here in CA I don't recall hearing anyone use them. In fact I've never even heard of Trickeration (yes, I do watch football) or Win The Future

I've used the word 'trickeration' in regards to football more than once. I am 10 air miles from the Pacific Ocean so I'm definitely not East Coast. In fact, I was watching a Bowl game this past week and used it when one team did a hocus pocus play. On the replay, the talking head used it as well..... Of course I learned the word on football telecasts many years back, so, maybe it is regional after all, but moving west... ;)

BABY BUMP

WIN THE FUTURE

TRICKERATION

These words must be an East Coast thing, because here in CA I don't recall hearing anyone use them. In fact I've never even heard of Trickeration (yes, I do watch football) or Win The Future

I have heard both Baby Bump and Trickeration nation-wide. And both have been used widely on national TV for about 7 - 10 years.

I agree with "THANK YOU IN ADVANCE" and "OCCUPY" and would love to see "JUST SAYIN(G)" , "LET'S TOUCH BASE" , "IT IS WHAT IT IS" , "OH NO YOU DIDNT" , "PEEPS" , "EPIC" , "I HEART YOU" or "I <3 U"

and ANY of the God-awful popular shorthand like DAT, LUV, WUT, UR, etc; YUCK! Stop being lazy people and type out the English language.

I agree with "THANK YOU IN ADVANCE" and "OCCUPY" and would love to see "JUST SAYIN(G)" , "LET'S TOUCH BASE" , "IT IS WHAT IT IS" , "OH NO YOU DIDNT" , "PEEPS" , "EPIC" , "I HEART YOU" or "I <3 U"

and ANY of the God-awful popular shorthand like DAT, LUV, WUT, UR, etc; YUCK! Stop being lazy people and type out the English language.
don't forget "just FYI"

lets add
Baby Daddy
Baby Mama
especially when the child is like 7 or 8

and how about "Know what I'm sayin?"

Occupy.....what are you occupying besides a small area like a herd of cattle

The shorthand things....cripes you have a touch screen phone and you cant f**king spell out words? I had a phone with no keypad yet I type out words because your shorthand "cuteness" I have no clue what you're saying

I've never heard Trickeration or Win The Future. I agree with whoever here said that Baby Bump isn't as overused as some of the others, but I also agree with the person who nominated it saying that they're tired of commentators who think that anybody who isn't underweight has a baby bump.

The whole Occupy thing, on the other hand, annoys the hell out of me, but not because it's overused. It's because it's MIS-used. If they were really successfully occupying anything, they'd actually be getting changes made -- see Cairo last summer, or better yet Kiev in the winter of 2005 for a completely nonviolent example.

That drives me insane.

I understand it's a verbal tick or placeholder. But constantly asking me IF I know what you are "sayin", you give the impression that I'm stupid, and can't follow your line of conversation. Yes, dammit...I KNOW what you're saying. If I have a question or need clarification, I'll ask.

However, I'm keeping "man-cave." I like that one.

That drives me insane.

I understand it's a verbal tick or placeholder. But constantly asking me IF I know what you are "sayin", you give the impression that I'm stupid, and can't follow your line of conversation. Yes, dammit...I KNOW what you're saying. If I have a question or need clarification, I'll ask.

However, I'm keeping "man-cave." I like that one.

I tend to think its a tick like "alright" , "you know"

I realised this bad boy needs to be outed too "can I be honest with you for a minute" REALLY? so everything else you have been saying was BS? LOL

BABY BUMP

WIN THE FUTURE

TRICKERATION

I've only heard "baby bump". Even then, I've only heard it used in celebrity news, never by actual human beings.

But, I've never heard "trickeration" or "win the future", and have no idea what they mean, and I'm on the West Coast. (Actually, "trickeration" sounds like something a moron would use when trying to sound intelligent, or some imbecilic corporate mutation of the English language, which are also created by those corporate idiots to make themselves sound more intelligent, as well.).

"trickeration" is a very popular yet humorous made up sports caster / announcer / coach-speak word that was introduced in the early 2000's (or there-about), if you are a coach/player of US football, a avid watcher of the NFL, NCAA football or ESPN you have heard this (or just simply missed it); otherwise I can see how you haven't. It is also the title of a Cab Calloway song from the 30's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)