The basics of 4DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
I've seen the term 4DTV thrown around a lot, but I don't think I've ever seen it explained in one place before. What I've gathered is that it's a C-band subscription service offered by Motorola requiring special 4DTV receivers and that it's encrypted with Digicipher II. I've also heard that you can't get any other FTA stuff in DCII - only what Motorola sends down in some master data stream. Have I got it right?

I believe you are correct...I think Motorola owns Digicipher...NOT Videocipher, so that your assumptions are correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Owned a 4dtv 920 for 10+ years and just upgraded to a 922....did a battery swap on the 920 so it is good for another 10yrs...I hope!
Regards
jeff

voomvoom said:
There is also some 4dtv found on ku-band.
Al

OK, thanks - that's something I wasn't clear on. Everyone I see here talking about 4DTV is doing so in the C-band forum, but I haven't really looked around that much either. I know there's a lot of DCII on Ku but I didn't know if any of it was part of any 4DTV packages or not.

pestie said:
OK, thanks - that's something I wasn't clear on. Everyone I see here talking about 4DTV is doing so in the C-band forum, but I haven't really looked around that much either. I know there's a lot of DCII on Ku but I didn't know if any of it was part of any 4DTV packages or not.
While there is Ku stuff, you need the c-band side for the authorization and to get the guide. This is where the big dish comes into play.

I've got it running on my 5' dish but I concider my dish to kind of be a freak of nature as far as 4DTV goes :p .

pestie said:

Hi There...

You need a dual C/KU feedhorn of course with both LNB's...Sat X4 is a pretty good KU band bird...

Skyvision actually sells a reasonably priced X4 ku package too! KU is a lot less forgiving than C band though...your dish must be "right on" the mark but once there..has very good PQ!
Regards
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts