Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
Hey all -
I have a sonicview 4000 that I picked up in feebay for cheap. Hooked it up to my Fortecstar 90cm dish pointing to G19 97W. My wife is Thai so she watches the Thai channels.

I am not impressed with the low picture quality. I am using the RCA (red,white & yellow) jacks. The composite jacks (red, blue green) are even worse for some reason.

My MercuryII had produced a much better picture for some reason.

My question:
Now that the pirate ship has been sunk, There are many good deals on feebay. If I had say $100 or less to spend, What would you recommend?

(I still like my mercury II)

I would recommend the Coolsat 5K/6K also. No experience (or little) with the Pansats, so I cannot vouch for them with any authority.

I rate the Coolsats very high as they do everything you ask them to and they are inexpensive (even when brand new).

They blind scan very well (a must for FTA and feed hunting).

They are simple, straightforward and easy to set up and use.

They are versatile and durable and run for years without failures (as a general rule).

They are small and unobtrusive in an entertainment center. They run quiet and generate very little heat.

The tuner is highly responsive and quick to lock.

Channel lists and settings are very easy to control and navigate. Even though there is a quirk with using Channel Master channel editor, it works extremely well as long as you understand why it isn't exactly perfect... Channel Master is not directly compatible for transferring data to and from the Coolsat. You have to utilize the Coolsat loader and save the file, then open it with Channel Master to edit the channel list, then save the edits and reopen the file with the loader to send it back to the Coolsat. During this process some settings revert to defaults and you have to reset these manually. Not a big deal, however and there are some work-arounds if you use specific peripheral equipment (i.e. certain switch types).

I personally love my Coolsat 5K! It is awesome and from what I have read from others, the Pansats sound just as good. These units were advertised as FTA boxes and they are truly good at that!

The Coolsats can operate a motorized system with great ease! The two best models from Coolsat are the 5K and 6K and they are phenomenal for FTA use!

They cannot be beat as far as I can tell. Sometimes a manufacturer just comes up with the most simple but most effective design. The Coolsat 5K and 6K are just that.

You remember the bumper sticker slogan about guns and gun control? Well, for me I love my Coolsat with just as much fervor and would say... "You'll get my Coolsat when you pry it from my cold dead hands!" And you might have troubles even then!

I am using the very same Coolsat 5K that I bought ~5 years ago. I have rarely turned the power to it OFF and it is still running right now! Viewing RTN (RTV) EAST - Magnum PI.

This little tiny SD box just cannot be beat!

RADAR

Hey all -
I have a sonicview 4000 that I picked up in feebay for cheap. Hooked it up to my Fortecstar 90cm dish pointing to G19 97W. My wife is Thai so she watches the Thai channels.

I am not impressed with the low picture quality. I am using the RCA (red,white & yellow) jacks. The composite jacks (red, blue green) are even worse for some reason.

My MercuryII had produced a much better picture for some reason.

My question:
Now that the pirate ship has been sunk, There are many good deals on feebay. If I had say $100 or less to spend, What would you recommend?

(I still like my mercury II)

I find it surprising that one receiver would have better PQ than another on G19. Some channels (especially on G19) are VERY over compressed so as to fit more of 'em on the satellite. This is just how they look or so I thought. Have you actually done a side by side comparison?

I have both a Pansat 3500SD and a Coolsat 5000 and they both perform really well!
By all means, pick up a few if they are cheap!! :)

Hey all -

)

Does it have third party software on it? Try reinstalling the latest factory bin.

I don't have the sv4000, but have the sv1000 (same thing essentially), and though I don't use it now (no USALS) I don't remember the picture being that bad using component (R B G) connections.

If I could, I would drop the 100.00 limit, wait awhile if I had to, save a little more money, and move to the FUTURE, instad of the past, and buy an Azbox. It will make all those other receivers look like analog boxes, as long as you keep your Mercury to blind scan. That's the only thing the Azbox is missing. But it can do SO much more than just 4:2:0 SD. SO much more. :up

Have the prices come down on these receivers yet? what are they currently going for approx.? are you really able to web browse with them, and lastly how easy would it be for me to use a Mercury II receiver for blind scanning in tandem with the AzBox?

Have the prices come down on these receivers yet?
bought mine 2 weeks ago for 285 shipped

are you really able to web browse with them,
you can but its cumbersome with the remote

and lastly how easy would it be for me to use a Mercury II receiver for blind scanning in tandem with the AzBox?

If you have a dual LNB just hook up the azbox to the empty line. Otherwise use the loop out of the merc ii and hook up the azbox

If I could, I would drop the 100.00 limit, wait awhile if I had to, save a little more money, and move to the FUTURE, instad of the past, and buy an Azbox. It will make all those other receivers look like analog boxes, as long as you keep your Mercury to blind scan. That's the only thing the Azbox is missing. But it can do SO much more than just 4:2:0 SD. SO much more. :up

Stogie,

I also have the AZBox (PREMIUM) and an AB IPBox 9000 HD and a bunch of others. For SD, I'd still put my Coolsat 5K up against them all! Understandably, I am comparing apples to oranges to an extent, but I have used the Coolsat for so long, I cannot help but tout its benefits (if only for SD signals).

Now the AZBox is quickly becoming (looking like) a great receiver to use for HD signals where the Coolsat falls short. If after a few years, it is still a part of my entertainment center, I will be proud to let you know. Right now, the AZBx is looking pretty good and a contender in FTA, if they come up with a way to allow a good efficient BLIND SCAN, then it will be no match.

RADAR

as for the OP question, Pansat or Coolsat

You cant go wrong on either one

Absolutely! But, let us not forget to include the Fortec Star (Dynamic and other models). Remember that I bought a Dynamic and it pleased me very much. I haven't been disappointed with this brand/model either. I found it to be similar to the Coolsat and I would stick it up on the same pedestal for SD receivers. Yeah Baby! :)

RADAR

another voice:

While I don't necessarily disagree with the posts above, there are a number of good receivers left out of the discussion.
One is the Visionsat IV-200, usually found on Ebay for modest prices.
It's got decent: 1) switch control; 2) motor control; 3) blind scan.
And it's got PVR capability if you add an external USB drive.
We have more info about it in our Review Department, as well as most of the receivers discussed above.

edit:
Also, search back for any threads asking the same: recommended fta receivers
This has been heavily discussed, and there will be more comments worth reading.

Stogie,

I also have the AZBox (PREMIUM) and an AB IPBox 9000 HD and a bunch of others. For SD, I'd still put my Coolsat 5K up against them all! Understandably, I am comparing apples to oranges to an extent, but I have used the Coolsat for so long, I cannot help but tout its benefits (if only for SD signals).

Now the AZBox is quickly becoming (looking like) a great receiver to use for HD signals where the Coolsat falls short. If after a few years, it is still a part of my entertainment center, I will be proud to let you know. Right now, the AZBx is looking pretty good and a contender in FTA, if they come up with a way to allow a good efficient BLIND SCAN, then it will be no match.

RADAR

Preaching to the Choir my friend...I have THREE coolsat 5000's. :D

I only use one of them, in my bedroom. I scan with the Vantage, which is the most HORRIBLE excuse for a FTA box I have ever used, but it blind scans DVB-S2, so I hold my nose and put up with it. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)