Status
Please reply by conversation.

bic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I need some help.

I'm located north of 53 degrees Lat. on the Pacific Coast. Any signals I get from the sats are a little weak so i need a good sensitive receiver; with blind scan and hopefully an accurate signal meter. I'm only interested in the Ku band as my back yard wouldn't handle a C Band dish.

I've got a 1 meter Fortec dish with an Invacom QPH 031 LNB mounted on a STAAB HH120 motor.

I should be able to get about 4 true FTA satellites but all my Nfusion will pick up is Galaxy 25; and it doesn't do blind scan. I don't like it.

What brand of receiver should I be looking at? I've been researching CNX, AZbox, and Sonicview but am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

A lot of people will say Coolsat 5000 is the best. It blinds scans well, but you have to pick up used ones.

Pansats are good too.

I use a Fortec Mercury II for blind scanning also. They sell it now under the name Fortec Dynamic...

Azbox doesn't blind scan.

Several people lately complaining about those nfusion things, and I"ll second the Fortec Merc/Dynamic boxes-got two of them now ( in case I manage to tear up one, so far that hasn't happened, haha). They are good blind-scan receivers and they don't lock up if they happen to find an HD signal when scanning, like some do.

I use VS Ultra,Coolsat 5000,Mercury II and Pansat 9200 hd...The Merc and Pansat are great..,but the coolsat 5K wins my vote..fast scan and very easy to use..just a overall great machine!..good luck on ur choice.

I think the OP needs to be explained, what type of sat signals and channels he would be able to ID, lock to, and watch using suggested above STB models, and if its possible to ID channels with one of suggested models, and watch using another model, if the 1st STB ain't capable to, and what tools and techniques to use for that.

I think I would look for an HD capable receiver such as the Pansat 9200 or Coolsat 8200, many feeds and channels are going mpeg-4 dvb-s etc, and they decode AC3 audio that many of the good standard definition channels have. 8PSK can be added on later if you want. Pansat and Coolsat make good real FTA blind scan receivers (IMHO of course).
-C.
EDIT: Coolsat 8100... No I don't think there is an 8200, sorry for the typo.

Last edited:
The Pansat 9200 blind-scans, even DVB-S2 supposedly if you buy the right 8PSK board for it. I didn't know there was a Coolsat 8200, but I don't think the 8100 blind-scans anything at all.

Thought the 8100 did blind scan.. maybe I am glad I passed one up on ebay a few months ago :)
-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts