The BEST western movie EVER

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I love my westerns! I know most of them by heart since I have watched them over and over again so many times. I was trying to decide which one deserves the vote for BEST EVER western.

True Grit is obviously on this list, Eldorado, Four For Texas, Five Card Stud, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, too. But, I came to the conclusion that the BEST overall western movie of all time was....

"The Cowboys" with John Wayne!

These are all mighty close, so it was very difficult to decide.

I wish they still made westerns and cowboy movies!

YouTube - Great Moments in Speech Therapy

YouTube - John Wayne from the cowboys

YouTube - The Cowboys Revenge on the Miserable Wretch Bruce Dern for Killing the Duke; John Wayne

RADAR

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" has my vote, as the biggest and most epic western ever. It's got EVERYTHING!

The Cowboys is ok, but pretty wimpy compared to TGBU.

hhhmmmm i cant choose just one, as long as the duke is in it im good with it

The Searchers have to be on that list along with Once Upon a Time in the West (Henry Fonda as a villain!!)

And though it was a miniseries & not a movie, the original Lonesome Dove is best western (and the best TV) I've ever seen.

I can't pick just one, you guys have named some good ones and John Wayne is my favorite but some of the newer westerns are pretty good, like Unforgiven, Open Range, Hidalgo,
Appaloosa, 3:10 to Yuma, Dances With Wolves and the Lonesome Dove mini-series. My favorite western T.V. series would have to be Rawhide, Danial Boone my second (Not really a western I know but close enough).

Westerns aren't my favorite genre, but I still have some favorites. Some already listed: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Rio Bravo, The Searchers and Shane. I'll add: The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Ride the High Country, Maverick and Little Big Man.

hard to narrow it down to just one, so i'll name 3. true grit, silverado, the shootist. but there are many many great westerns.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite. Shane and High Noon are up there too.

I got a very good deal on the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Blu-Ray recently, and just finished watching it for the first time in many, many years. Its a good one as well, if a bit over-romanticized. The transfer is actually better than the reviews claim it is...

no ones mentioned tombstone yet, one of the better new ones, i watch it whenever is see it on

I don't know, it was so hard to come to the conclusion of The Cowboys as being the best overall. You all see why. There are so many others that are so great, how could anyone pick out just one!

But, just think about what is contained in the movie:

Cattle ranching, a good woman, gold fever, young boys acting up in school, riding horses, roping, branding and herding cattle, bad guy rustlers, guns, jail, soiled douds, a story telling chuckwagon cook, fears of the dark, fears of the unknown, experiencing the loss of a friend, dealing with unwarranted death, comical twists, a little history, a hard-nosed trail boss, getting drunk, singing songs, overcoming adversities, making new friends, establishing bonds, camping out, working hard, a strong hero that becomes a father figure, an awesome fist-fight and a murder, a sneaky plot for revenge, a hanging (almost), pride, honor and duty, dedication to completing a job, growing up the hard way, and an ending that leaves you happy and cheering!

Oh yes, and an excellent music score!

I just had to rate The Cowboys as the best because it had all these things written into it so well. It was all encompassing.

RADAR

My Favorite John Wayne western would have to be The Sons of Katie Elder. Tom Selleck is superb in Quigley Down Under, really liked that one

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts