The birdog meter

sayser

Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I got a birdog off of ebay and it has teh direct tv program in it. I don't have teh usb cable that goes with it. My question is can I use the direct tv 119 satellite that is already programmed into the birdog to find the dishnetwork 119? Or will it read that it is not found? Please help thanks!!!!

No. The DirecTV data for the 119 is going to have the 22-32 transponders in it and the DISH data will have 01-21 in it. So a DISH LNB probably isn't likely going to be passing any transponder frequencies above 21 and so you won't show a lock on a meter trying to tune the higher transponders. I think there are some DirecTV D-Tube LNBs out there and that could go in to the 119 slot on the 500 just for pointing purposes. Give it a try though, I could be wrong and DISH is passing those higher transponders through their LNB, seems worthless for them to do it though.

If I recall, you can buy a shielded USB cable to download a new set of satellites. Unshielded USBs don't work if I remember correctly.

Your best bet is to get a cable from Birdog and update your meter. I haven't had any luck finding satellites without being on the proper display screen. It won't say "found" at any rate. It is possible that the meter will show you are getting signal, but it won't identify it. Birdog's website has a lot of info about all this if you haven't checked it out yet.

Directv's 119 LNB doesn't receive the lower transponders because they put the 3 transponders from 110 on the lower end of 119. So any Birdog data plan for DirecTV 119 isn't going to include those lower transponders. It's just a question of if DISH's LNBs for 119 are tuning the higher transponders on 119 that DirecTV uses. A twin or a triple might not, however, a regular dual or single ought to since they can be used on 110 and that satellite does go up to T31.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts