The Cotton Bowl- End of an Era

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
The 2009 Cotton Bowl will be the end of an era, for it will be the last game at the old Cotton Bowl stadium- In 2010, it'll move to the new stadium in Arlington (where the Cowboys will move to next year, BTW).

With all the sadness about Yankee Stadium's farewell, I'd like to bring up that this is another great stadium with magical moments that'll see its final game soon.

The Cotton Bowl, though not as big as it used to be, still commands much respect as a revered and enjoyable game.

Many of us remember seeing our favorite teams play in this old stadium:

Salsa probably remembers when Miami beat the Longhorns 46-3 in 1991.

HD and Jimbo probably remember that Ohio State played in a Cotton Bowl in 1987- and won (They HAVE played in this game before- can't they do it again this year?)

I remember Texas Tech somehow losing to a plodding Bama team on an ugly field goal in 2006.

LSU has also had a number of historic games in the Cotton Bowl. In 1947 they played Arkansas to a 0-0 tie in a game to be called the "Ice Bowl." In 1963 they surprised the #4 Longhorns by beating them 13-0. In 1966 an unranked LSU beat the #2 Arkansas Razorbacks by a score of 14-7.

Although I'm too young to have attended any of those games, I have attended several Cotton Bowls. I froze my arse off at a few. The stadium is a relic by today's standards. It's time to say goodbye to that dinosaur and hello to the luxury that will be the new Cowboy stadium. :up

The Cotton Bowl was Heisman winner Doug Flutie's last game at Boston College on Jan. 1, 1985.

BC beat Houston that day, 45-28.

The stadium is a relic by today's standards. It's time to say goodbye to that dinosaur and hello to the luxury that will be the new Cowboy stadium. :up

Mccoy,

is there a reason why they never moved the Cotton Bowl to Texas Stadium in Irving?

same venue...different sport

World Class Championship Wrestling had their "Cotton Bowl Extravaganza" there from 84-88

85 was Von Erich's vs. Dynamic Duo in hair vs. hair
86 was Brody/Abdullah in the cage :D

Well I will be there in a few weeks with my dad for the Red River Rivalry. We usually go every other year. Oklahoma/Texas will still be playing there thru 2015 during the State Fair and they are trying to get Oklahoma State/Texas Tech but I don't think T. Boone Pickens wants to let OSU give up a home game in the newly renovated stadium that now bears his name in Stillwater.

same venue...different sport

World Class Championship Wrestling had their "Cotton Bowl Extravaganza" there from 84-88

85 was Von Erich's vs. Dynamic Duo in hair vs. hair
86 was Brody/Abdullah in the cage :D

Iceberg, I know what your talking about. I believe the hair vs. hair match was almost the blow off to the Von Erich's/Dynamic Duo feud. I think I've seen the Brody/Abdullah cage match. Was Fritz Von Erich the referee?

Mccoy,

is there a reason why they never moved the Cotton Bowl to Texas Stadium in Irving?

Good question Bill. I've often wondered that too. Probably to justify the Cotton Bowl stadium's existance. It's located on the Texas fairgrounds site in an area of town that isn't exactly family friendly. Other than the UT/OU game and the Cotton Bowl, I don't know of it being used for anything else. There's a huge concert venue on the fairground site as well, so the stadium isn't used for that. Maybe there was an issue with the city of Irving.

Anyone care to offer any input? :confused:

When I read the title I thought they were doing away with the Cotton Bowl. They haven't always played in the Texas Stadium so it isn't that big of a deal for me.

Iceberg, I know what your talking about. I believe the hair vs. hair match was almost the blow off to the Von Erich's/Dynamic Duo feud.

I think I've seen the Brody/Abdullah cage match. Was Fritz Von Erich the referee?

correct :D

pt 1 of the cage match
[youtube]CsAJ882MVcs[/youtube]

pt 2
[youtube]pcDrLVfc2l4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Who carried it on TV?
World Class had 2 versions of TV

The local version was on channel 39 (which was Christian Broadcasting Network of all things...now Telemundo) and on KTVT 11 (which was a Superstation and an Independent..now CBS) which had shows from Ft Worth

The syndicated version was from (as Gary Hart put) "The biggest sh**hole in wrestling" The Sportatorium in Dallas. Here in Minneapolis we had it on a new station on the "UHF" :D band KITN (which is now WFTC My29)

Who were the broadcasters? :D
just one...Bill Mercer :)

World Class had 2 versions of TV

The local version was on channel 39 (which was Christian Broadcasting Network of all things...now Telemundo) and on KTVT 11 (which was a Superstation and an Independent..now CBS) which had shows from Ft Worth

The syndicated version was from (as Gary Hart put) "The biggest sh**hole in wrestling" The Sportatorium in Dallas. Here in Minneapolis we had it on a new station on the "UHF" :D band KITN (which is now WFTC My29)

just one...Bill Mercer :)

You bring back fond memories of my childhood in Dallas. Watching "Prince Fritz Von Eric" and "Professor Toru Tanaka" at that Rat-Hole Sportatorium.
fujitanaka.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)