The CW in HD?

they can't...rules prevent them from adding any local outside of your area unless it is missing. This does not include the HD version

But he is asking about the Superstations which were grandfathered. Are we saying the legal law is that only the SD version of the channel is Grandfathered. I can't find that rule documented. Wonder if its because dish does not have the bandwidth to add the super station on a conus.

Why has no one mentined the yearly February 17th date which requires a phase-in for carriage of all HD locals in a market, if one is already carried? The requirement is currently 30% of the markets, but will increase to 60% on 02/17/12 and 100% on 02/17/13. Here in San Francisco it seems pretty apparent that we will have all of our locals carried in HD in about a month. I say this because they recently added three more (KQED, KRCB and KCSM) which makes for 11 of 15. I expect they will add the other four (KOFY, KBCW, KSTS and KKPX). This is a market's best hope for getting the CW in HD.
Because we were waiting for you.

But he is asking about the Superstations which were grandfathered. Are we saying the legal law is that only the SD version of the channel is Grandfathered. I can't find that rule documented. Wonder if its because dish does not have the bandwidth to add the super station on a conus.

Not sure, I kind of remember this being debated about the time of the digital switchover. The superstations were grandfathered by call sign i.e... KTLA and not KTLA - DT.

There is no such thing as the old SD station KTLA as no one can broadcast in SD, to me KTLA-DT is auto grandfather and thus allowed for HD. I still think it is Dish not doing HD nation wide it due to bandwidth issues. I have heard of some getting the superstations in HD if they are near the TV market and under the spot beam.

There is no such thing as the old SD station KTLA as no one can broadcast in SD, to me KTLA-DT is auto grandfather and thus allowed for HD. I still think it is Dish not doing HD nation wide it due to bandwidth issues. I have heard of some getting the superstations in HD if they are near the TV market and under the spot beam.
You are incorrect on this many stations broadcast in digital 480 format. That is SD.

The FCC in setting the percentages of DMAs that MUST be carried by certain dates has inadvertently guaranteed that the larger DMAs may be the LAST to get theirs included.

For instance if by adding 2 stations in DMA "X", Dish is able to fill that DMAs HD menu while a larger DMA "Y" may require they add 6 stations to full the DMA out, Dish naturally uses the 2 station option instead of the 6 station option which uses up much more bandwidth.

These "smart" people who craft these lovely regulations often see them as they are written while the subjects of their regulations look at them for the cheapest and easiest way to comply. Not surprisingly, these two views are often miles apart.

So I am in a smaller DMA, all they need to do is add CW and PBS in HD and I am covered making it count as one of percentages.. Sweet

You are incorrect on this many stations broadcast in digital 480 format. That is SD.

You know what I mean. The old Analog of KTLA can not legally be broadcasted over the air. It has to be KTLA-DT now. None of the big stations can broadcast over the air in Analog.
None of the Super Stations broadcast in SD over the air anymore, there all doing HD on there DT. DIsh just converts down.

This is why I say it is legal for Dish to do the SuperStations in HD, just they just dont have the bandwidth to do it as it would have to be on a Conus beam not a regional spot bean.

You know what I mean. The old Analog of KTLA can not legally be broadcasted over the air. It has to be KTLA-DT now. None of the big stations can broadcast over the air in Analog.
None of the Super Stations broadcast in SD over the air anymore, there all doing HD on there DT. DIsh just converts down.

This is why I say it is legal for Dish to do the SuperStations in HD, just they just dont have the bandwidth to do it as it would have to be on a Conus beam not a regional spot bean.
Most likely it has more to do with contracts than bandwidth.

Jim5506 said:
The FCC in setting the percentages of DMAs that MUST be carried by certain dates has inadvertently guaranteed that the larger DMAs may be the LAST to get theirs included.

For instance if by adding 2 stations in DMA "X", Dish is able to fill that DMAs HD menu while a larger DMA "Y" may require they add 6 stations to full the DMA out, Dish naturally uses the 2 station option instead of the 6 station option which uses up much more bandwidth.

These "smart" people who craft these lovely regulations often see them as they are written while the subjects of their regulations look at them for the cheapest and easiest way to comply. Not surprisingly, these two views are often miles apart.

Does someone have a list of these? I've got OTA, but still would be nice to set it aside for outages and disputes.

still waiting for KMAX-HD in Sacramento. They should add KTLA-HD to markets on the west coast and WPIX-HD to markets on the east that don't get CW in HD.

Superstations in HD outside their local spotbeams won't happen anytime soon, if ever. You're asking them to do something which would likely lead to the local CW affiliates invoking SyndEx on network and/or syndicated shows, and if SyndEx is invoked on even one show on a Superstation, that Superstation's availability goes bye bye from whatever local markets are doing it.

From today's up link report
Channel Additions:
6449(44) - KBCW [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 01 Spotbeam 16 (Mkt:San Francisco, CA-San Francisco, CA-CW) (NA)

Why has no one mentined the yearly February 17th date which requires a phase-in for carriage of all HD locals in a market, if one is already carried? The requirement is currently 30% of the markets, but will increase to 60% on 02/17/12 and 100% on 02/17/13. Here in San Francisco it seems pretty apparent that we will have all of our locals carried in HD in about a month. I say this because they recently added three more (KQED, KRCB and KCSM) which makes for 11 of 15. I expect they will add the other four (KOFY, KBCW, KSTS and KKPX). This is a market's best hope for getting the CW in HD.

From today's up link report
Channel Additions:
6449(44) - KBCW [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 01 Spotbeam 16 (Mkt:San Francisco, CA-San Francisco, CA-CW) (NA)

Yes, this looks like an additonal confirmation that San Francisco is going to be among the 60% of markets with all of their local HD channels available on Dish by 02/17/12. I expect to see KOFY, KSTS and KKPX added in the next four weeks or so. Hopefully, KBCW will be made available this coming Wednesday, now that it's been uplinked!

They have every Sacramento station in HD but KMAX-CW which shows the SF Giants games. It'd be nice to see the Giants in HD or the Raiders pre-season.

Most of the CW stations are on sub-channels and they would not be HD. If a sub channel is HD, you can be sure the main channel is pseudo HD as the bandwith for a station is the same if there is only a main channel or 43 or 4 sub channels.. they all have to fit in that fixed bandwidth spectrum called the channel.

Most of the CW stations are on sub-channels and they would not be HD. If a sub channel is HD, you can be sure the main channel is pseudo HD as the bandwith for a station is the same if there is only a main channel or 43 or 4 sub channels.. they all have to fit in that fixed bandwidth spectrum called the channel.
Bull!!!!!!!! With Variable Bit Rate and a good encoder it's easy to fit 2 HD channels in to OTA ch. Especially if they're 720P.

well then you better call some of those smaller markets that have 2 720p stations on 1 channel

Ya better call both network affiliates in Sherman Texas/Ada Oklahoma then and tell them they're doing it wrong
KTEN NBC 1080i
KTEN-DT2 CW 480
KTEN-DT3 ABC 720p

KRII CBS 1080i
KXII-DT2 MY 480i
KXII-DT3 FOX 720p

Also hate to say it but stations are doing 480i widescreen and calling it "HD"

I just noticed channel 254 added to my guide, at first it was marked as WPIX then later changed to CW. Anybody knows what the deal is what that channel?
If it is sticking for free it would make a good addition for those who don't get a local CW. Even if it's in SD it's better than nothing.

A while ago (a few years maybe) Dish added WPIX and I **Think** at the time was CW San Diego (was 69 now as moved to 6) to markets that didnt have a CW. Even after some markets got their "local" CW Dish has kept it

My market (Duluth, MN) has had WPIX as channel 251 for a few years now. Recently Dish added the local CW (KDLH-DT2) under channel 11 but we still have 251 as WPIX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)