THE CW now on channel 385

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just noticed it around 2am and called DirecTV. The CSR had no idea what I was talking about but finally found it and submitted a waiver for me. I, like many people, lost my WB from Baltimore after the merge. I'm in the Johnstown/Altoona market, by the way.

-Dan

UPDATE: It's now 2:28am (waiver was requested around 2:10am) and my CW is already on. Thank you DirecTV! :)

Last edited:
So is available as a national channel like the other dns channels in that channel group ( 380/381 CBS 382/383 NBC etc ) ?

I called last night and got a clueless CSR on dns channels.

So is available as a national channel like the other dns channels in that channel group ( 380/381 CBS 382/383 NBC etc ) ?

I called last night and got a clueless CSR on dns channels.

Yeah, it appears to work just like the other DNS channels. I called and my CSR was also clueless and she was telling me that the system said that the channel was unavailable. She then looked some more and was able to find out how to submit the waiver. She submitted it and gave me the standand "this waiver could take up to 45 days" routine and we hung up. About 15 minutes later I turned to it and it was on. I checked my account page on directv.com and it is showing up as "Network: CW" on my programming summary section just like my NBC and FOX DNS channels do. I checked my billing activity screen and it is costing $1.50 just like the other's do so.. for a simple answer, yes, it works just like the other DNS channels do.

I would keep calling back. I'm sure you'll catch a CSR sooner or later that can submit the waiver for you.

-Dan

Well, I just tried it in Peoria, who does NOT have a local CW & the only thing it says is this:
Eligibilty review for the following:
5407 N UNIVERSITY ST
PEORIA, IL 61614-4736
Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

So, what it sounds like is this:

If you are in a LIL market that does NOT have a local CW affiliate already, (such as Peoria, IL) you are now getting it automatically as part of your local channel package & that it's automatically been added.

If you are in a non-LIL market, you have to qualify for it, just like any other network.
If D* shows you to be in a true white area for CW, then they'll let you add it.

got it now to move back to my dma and hope it sticks
moved back to regular dma cw still there thanks dtv
I did notice during my move back to real dma i lost pbs 384 bu toh well it saves me a buck 50 and my regular dma has 3 pbs feeds via dtv

Last edited:
I called again this morning and was told I need a waiver. I get the dns for the other 4 networks without waivers and my zip code says I'm eligible according to the website.

But the car was clueless again on how dns works.

Oh well D* just lost the $1.25 month it would have cost me.

Last edited:
I just ordered it. I was on hold for 15 in. waiting to talk to a CSR. On hold another 10 min while she researched this channel. Csr said I would need a waiver, and it would take up to 45 days. The CW channel came on 5 minutes after I hung up. I have distants and the website says I'm eligible for all, so I didn't think it would be a big problem anyway.

Just called, said they couldn't do it, she asked a supervisor, he said maybe could submit a waiver, but probably wouldn't do any good. I asked who I would submit a waiver to, and she didn't know..

I guess no go here.

I just ordered it. I was on hold for 15 in. waiting to talk to a CSR. On hold another 10 min while she researched this channel. Csr said I would need a waiver, and it would take up to 45 days. The CW channel came on 5 minutes after I hung up. I have distants and the website says I'm eligible for all, so I didn't think it would be a big problem anyway.

Who did they get the waiver from??

So D* added another distant network and the csr can look at the screen and see that you receive the other 4 distant networks offered by D*, but have no idea how to add CW.

I can go to the website and input my information and the screen says I'm eligible to receive CW distant , but a paid D* csr has no idea how to do it.

Who did they get the waiver from??

I guess it would be whoever the closest CW station is. In my case, the CW is not available over the air in my DMA. Also D* does not carry my locals. I would try playing CSR roulette and try again if the website says you are eligible. Tell them to submit the waiver anyway. They don't charge you to submit a waiver.
I bet even though they give you the waiver hassle, it will be turned on in less than a hour if the website says you can get it. If the website says Grade A or B, you won't get it unless the CW station in your area approves.

Here's the frustrating part: when that channel came on last Fall, I'll bet most cable subs didn't have apply for waivers or pay an extra $1.50/mo. for it.

Here's the frustrating part: when that channel came on last Fall, I'll bet most cable subs didn't have apply for waivers or pay an extra $1.50/mo. for it.

Probably because most cable subs had a WB or UPN station as part of that local channel package. So one of those stations became the CW. Last year I had the WB out of San Diego and no local UPN or WB on Direct. Since the CW network came to be, the local CW channel has been added to my sat package. No need for waivers and no extra cost.

My wife's happy because she watches The Gilmore Girls.:)

When I do it, it doesn't even list the CW. Just ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox.
I punched in several zip codes from the city listed in your sig. It appears you are in a LIL market area, which makes you ineligible for distants. I see D* doesn't offer a CW channel from your area. I bet one of the big four nets owns the right to CW in your area.
This means one of several things. The first is they have created a cable only feed in your area. The second is that they have a Low power SD station or a HD subchannel carrying the CW. D* is not required to carry a station that does these things. The local rights holder will block a Distant Station from being carried in your area to protect their ad rates.
I think even though D* has an agreement with the CW, the local rights holder can block the distant from being added since you are in a Grade A D* LIL market.

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER (I may be a rambling idiot. "Your mileage may vary")

Just called, said they couldn't do it, she asked a supervisor, he said maybe could submit a waiver, but probably wouldn't do any good. I asked who I would submit a waiver to, and she didn't know..

I guess no go here.

I had the same experience. But I called back later that day and talked to someone with a clue and she submitted a waiver. She said it could take up to 45 days. But it was on in 5 minutes! So I would call back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)