the Dish 2016 predictions thread: Post your predictions here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Spring or early Summer IF it is already created and up and running and being tested by the early testers. Glitches and software bugs are still there ,but a lot less then when they released receivers like the 921pvr and 922 dvr -which both sucked big time. DISH releases the newest receivers when it at least works now out of the box or they don't put it out there. They learned this from all the years of failed to launch receivers and they had to replace them at a terrific rate. Like the 7100/7200 webtv/dishplayers -after the Microsoft vs DISH lawsuits were in the works. Also the horrible 811 receiver that I wanted to take a hammer to on a daily basis while I had it.:oldmad

i just wonder if dish will allow all the channels that have hd feeds to go all HD.i am just wondering i know that this wont happen just pondering the idea to you guys.directv will be going all HD this year i wonder if dish will make it happen.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
i just wonder if dish will allow all the channels that have hd feeds to go all HD.i am just wondering i know that this wont happen just pondering the idea to you guys.directv will be going all HD this year i wonder if dish will make it happen.
I bet Directv doesn't go all HD.
They may not install SD equipment anymore, but I find it hard to believe every channel they have will be in HD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop
I bet Directv doesn't go all HD.
They may not install SD equipment anymore, but I find it hard to believe every channel they have will be in HD.

According to Dish Facebook page, one of the DIRT members said they are not installing SD equipment anymore either.

Reactions: Troch77
According to Dish Facebook page, one of the DIRT members said they are not installing SD equipment anymore either.
That's Good for us.
But same as I said about Directv, everything still won't be in HD.
It just might all be MPEG4.

Which is what I'm still predicting for this year, Dish HD will be all MPEG4.

Last edited:
There's still millions of MPEG2 receivers on the western arc, Dish isn't going to spend that kind of money to replace all of them. Same with DirecTV.

There's still millions of MPEG2 receivers on western arc, Dish isn't going to spend that kind of money to replace all of them.
I didn't mean SD, I meant HD.
I just Clarified it better in my post.

Through attrition, but I would guess that number is a lot lower, especially after the 8PSK conversion. That took care of a big number of the receivers. As to my point, they are no longer installing SD equipment. Moving forward will only be HD equipment, and as customers leave or upgrade, their equipment will be removed. Funny thing is they will likely come out with a grandfather clause in the near future. You can maintain your SD equipment, but if you upgrade or disconnect or something like that, changing equipment will be mandatory. Making those owned ones worthless, that is my prediction.

Reactions: navychop
we're 2 days in the year and Dish already has one with Rapid City NBC (KNBN) ;)
I'm sure there are plenty of local retrans agreements up this year
Sure, but probably not at the level of a Tegna, Media General or a Sinclair. Then again, I guess it was DIRECTV had just ended their verbal battle with Media General so maybe they're due.

Through attrition, but I would guess that number is a lot lower, especially after the 8PSK conversion. That took care of a big number of the receivers. As to my point, they are no longer installing SD equipment. Moving forward will only be HD equipment, and as customers leave or upgrade, their equipment will be removed. Funny thing is they will likely come out with a grandfather clause in the near future. You can maintain your SD equipment, but if you upgrade or disconnect or something like that, changing equipment will be mandatory. Making those owned ones worthless, that is my prediction.
Dish has only 13.8 million customer, Everyone on Eastern arc is MPEG 4. Not sure what that number is , But I would bet it's about 5 million if not more.

So that leaves around 8 + Million on western arc.
I would say more then Half are HD.
Plus the ones as Chad already stated were already upgraded.

I bet the SD only crowd is less then 2 million.

But by All means if someone knows, I'll be surprised if it's Higher.

With upgrades and New equipment coming this year, I bet it's not going to be very hard to get most customers off of SD.

For those of you making predictions about a new Hopper, do any if you want to predict when it would actually be available?
Do you really suppose that someone claiming to have heard about a 12 tuner DVR would have drop dead dates to go with? Why not throw in a date certain along with the other hogwash?

Do you really suppose that someone claiming to have heard about a 12 tuner DVR would have drop dead dates to go with? Why not throw in a date certain along with the other hogwash?
I thought it was 16 tuners?

Did you know last year, was the first time in 666 years that Halloween fell on a Friday the 13th??

And Troch, we got there the same exact way. That was precisely my thinking.
Agree, 4 years ago sure , SD customers to HD , Yes Big expense.
But them SD customers have been dropping like flies across the board.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)