The Dodgers are going the way of the Lakers starting in 2014

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Well, Time Warner got another team and this time it is Dodgers. Starting in 2014 Dodgers games will be on Time Warner cable. Since Dish does not have plans to add a Time Warner sport channel, I am sure they will not add the new "SportsNet LA" channel. Dodger fans get one more yer on Fox Sport.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodge...r-cable-sportsnet-la-20130128,0,1454054.story

"The name for the Dodgers' new television channel: SportsNet LA.

The Dodgers and Time Warner Cable officially announced their television contract on Monday, with the team-owned channel starting in 2014. The deal, pending the approval of Major League Baseball, covers 25 years and is believed to be worth between $7 billion and $8 billion to the team.

The Dodgers are to remain on Fox Sports through the 2013 season, but the team decided it wanted its own channel thereafter and negotiated with Fox and Time Warner Cable..."

Surely not another regional sports channel!:rolleyes: It's not as if we don't have enough of them as it is.

If they simply made them all a la carte it would not be so much of an issue, but they want every sub to have them even if they do not watch them.

Sports enterprises are going to kill the golden goose if they continue to fragment the market.

Only die-hard fans will overpay for one channel with one anchor product.

If they simply made them all a la carte it would not be so much of an issue, but they want every sub to have them even if they do not watch them.

Totally agree.I also feel that if individual teams are going to have their own exclusive channels,then they should be made available to anyone who wants to pay the price for them.Not just be available in select cities.

The problem is though that they see the number of fans that will pay verses the number of cable/DBS subscribers and come to the conclusion that they need it in everyones package to come out ahead on the deal.

The problem is though that they see the number of fans that will pay verses the number of cable/DBS subscribers and come to the conclusion that they need it in everyones package to come out ahead on the deal.

Yep and therein lies the problem.Only customers in the teams DMA would be able to watch the games.Just doesn't make sense to me.If I were a team owner I would prefer to have a contract with a national broadcaster.

If it's true that only 100,000 or so (a peak number maybe) have tuned into the Prime Ticket telecasts in the last season, then they must be counting on getting their money back from the suckers--erm, subs. Interesting gamble. Think I'm gonna dust off my old school AM corded set and listen to Vin call the games (for possibly his last season) like my grampa did.

And get off my lawn.

It's stuff like this that makes me say I could see "a la carte" but only for the RSN. Charge an RSN fee and let the people with real loyalty to a team pick up the channel and, by golly, do away with those blackout rules and if I'm a Twins fan in Georgia, let me pay for FSN North. Probably won't happen for reasons others have already stated: They want the channel in a package that everyone gets and would have far less eyes on the channel for what they'd likely charge a la carte.

How long until we have LA Dodgers Home, the exclusively source of Dodger home games, LA Dodgers Away, the exclusive source of Dodger away games? "If you don't have Dodgers Away, you are missing half the action!"

What will end up happening is FSN will eventually die in LA, or the three SoCal FSN channels will eventually be combined into one.

The difference between the Lakers channel and the Dodgers channel is that the Dodgers actually own this one. They have a hug marketing campaign set up, run by TWC. You will probably see other teams eventually go to the Dodgers channel.

So now we have an Lakers-only channel, a Dodgers-only channel, a PAC-12 channel, and two Fox RSNs for the Angels / Clippers / Kings / Ducks. And from what I understand the Lakers and Dodger channels are $4 a sub each.

Anyone with Dish in LA who likes their sports better start looking for other options now, because I can't imagine Dish picking up these new channels at that price. LA will likely become like NYC, with no RSNs available to Dish subs.

So now we have an Lakers-only channel, a Dodgers-only channel, a PAC-12 channel, and two Fox RSNs for the Angels / Clippers / Kings / Ducks. And from what I understand the Lakers and Dodger channels are $4 a sub each.

Anyone with Dish in LA who likes their sports better start looking for other options now, because I can't imagine Dish picking up these new channels at that price. LA will likely become like NYC, with no RSNs available to Dish subs.

Did DTV pick up the Pac12 or the Laker channel?There is the possibility that DTV will pass on the Dodger channel.That would put the squeeze on them imo.Seems like I recall DTV was considering RSN surcharges as well.My point being there are just too many of these rsns and at some point all providers are going to either pass on a surcharge or pass on the channel all together.

You think the LA area Cables are just gonna say, "Ummm, OK"?

Did DTV pick up the Pac12 or the Laker channel?There is the possibility that DTV will pass on the Dodger channel.That would put the squeeze on them imo.Seems like I recall DTV was considering RSN surcharges as well.My point being there are just too many of these rsns and at some point all providers are going to either pass on a surcharge or pass on the channel all together.

Not sure on the Laker channel and the last I've heard on the Pac-12 Network is that they could go a la carte on DTV (though it isn't a done deal).

Whats next? Half game channels? First half on Doger-1 second half on Dodger-2... What your provider does not carry the new Dodger-2 network?!?! How much are you missing out on, call your provider now and demand to see the ending of your favorite team...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)