The Dust Bowl-PBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
FYI, a new Ken Burns documentary on PBS. This is the 2nd part and conclusion of the movie and repeats at 9pm C, 12midnight and 2am. I'm sure the entire thing will repeat a few more times. It's very interesting, informative and intense story of the great drought and dust bowl conditions of the Midwest during the 1930's, is much more in-depth than any other
coverage I've ever seen on this part of our nation's history. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn more on this subject. I haven't seen all of night one, but this 2nd part runs right at 2 hours, if you're recording. *My air times were taken from the national feed on satellite, Titan TV.

Quite interesting and informative. Especially the first person accounts. Have never seen, or heard them, that before.

I saw something about the dustbowl a year or two back, don't remember if it was PBS but pretty sure it was because I didn't have Dish at the time. It was pretty interesting.
Some guy did a recreation, they used some big fans and he was in a shack with a rag tied over his face and couldn't handle it. Then he tried it with a legit dust mask and that didn't help either.

Must have been rough back then. My yard is mostly dirt and it's ultra fine, much finer than talc or corn starch and it gets all in my house, it coats everything in thick layers and it happens really fast and I have no idea how to stop it.
It really makes my life miserable. I can't imagine how that must have been. I don't blame them for bailing out, I would too. And that stuff got in their lungs and really messed people up.. OMG.....

I want to see these shows. I know my dad is interested in them too because he and I have talked about the dust bowl days before and I think he saw the saw documentary I saw.

Thanks! :)

It will be shown a few more times...but looks like PBS World so SD only

Saturday at 8 & 11 Central on PBS HD is the next HD time ;)
Part 1 is 8-10
Part 2 is 11-1

You can pick up The Dust Bowl part two, at 3am Eastern time Thurs morning Nov 22 , on the PBS HD channel from AMC-21 (sid 3) on the 12180 mux, then again on Saturday (Nov. 24)Part 1 is on at 9pm Eastern same channel. Part 2 then starts at midnight.
Part 2 is 1hr 54minutes .
Not sure how long part 1 is but guess it is about the same time.

Can't imagine having a 3' accumulation of dirt in my yard after a storm, any more than I could imagine 3' of snow.

I have a lot of relatives and friends who lived in the dust bowl and then headed to southern california in the 30s.

Hey Dee_Ann!

Thanks for the heads up on that DVD sale and thanks to Turbosat for starting this thread! I was intending to catch the program on PBS, but work schedules made me forget all about it and I doubt if I would be able to view it now anyway. I placed an order for the BR disc offered.

Ken Burn's stuff is fantastic and this is a must have item! I know that my folks grew up as kids during this time and that makes it all that much more familiar and interesting for me.

RADAR

Except for one series he did a few years ago. I can't remember the name but it was like 10 episodes about World War II.
My dad requested me to record the series for him, this was before they got FTA.

It was DREADFUL.... There was this continual droning on of some mournful music the entire time and some monotone narrator prattled on and on for hours on end.
Not to mention the constant imagery of death, destruction and suffering.
It was horrible.... After sitting there listening to that cr*p for 10 something hours I was so depressed I wanted to jump off a bridge.

I told my dad after that that I would never again record war cr*p for him, tough luck..

Except for one series he did a few years ago. I can't remember the name but it was like 10 episodes about World War II.

It was DREADFUL.... There was this continual droning on of some mournful music the entire time and some monotone narrator prattled on and on for hours on end.
It was horrible.... After sitting there listening to that cr*p for 10 something hours I was so depressed I wanted to jump off a bridge.

I told my dad after that that I would never again record war cr*p for him, tough luck..

You just described Bob's "Feel Good Film of the Year." :D

Seriously, I'd be sitting next to your dad glued to the television...I love WW2 and Hitler (aka History Channel) footage.

My son watches stuff like that all the time, also scans the news and reads the worst stuff. It's horrible. Then he wonders why he's always depressed.... DUH!

"The War" was AWESOME! It loved the way it focused on the personal stories while at the same time giving a great overview of the entire war from just before Pearl Harbor day to VJ day. But to each their own.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)