The end for Traditional TV is closer then ever

Just got a notice from the landlord that they are switching the way we receive TV. We get internet and cable (IPTV) through Consolidated in our rent. They are upgrading us from DSL to Fibre (heck yeah) so we are going from 30/5 to 250/?? (they say 250 but they also said upload on DSL was 10). Anywho they are switching us to Directv Stream as Consolidated does not sell TV to new customers and hasnt since early this year. They still support the current subs.

So even the Telco is getting out of "traditional TV" (we have 2 cable co's here in town. Spectrum/Charter is the other)

Reactions: navychop
Just got a notice from the landlord that they are switching the way we receive TV. We get internet and cable (IPTV) through Consolidated in our rent. They are upgrading us from DSL to Fibre (heck yeah) so we are going from 30/5 to 250/?? (they say 250 but they also said upload on DSL was 10). Anywho they are switching us to Directv Stream as Consolidated does not sell TV to new customers and hasnt since early this year. They still support the current subs.

So even the Telco is getting out of "traditional TV" (we have 2 cable co's here in town. Spectrum/Charter is the other)
Telephone companies have been trying to get out of TV for YEARS.

Maybe I was thinking wrong,, maybe that was for a year ????
Doesn't sound right, but seeing I paid my TV package by the year, not the month... could be.
had to be for the year if it was in the late 80's early 90's
I had Turner Vision (can't seem to find anything about them on line at the moment) ....
yeah everything I search for just says either the founder passed away or when Dish bought them out
I know EVERYTHING i got, including the Sunday Ticket was about $800 for the YEAR.
$139 for the 1997 season through Superstar ;)

Looking at that site and seeing how **much** some of those packages were for the year compared to now is crazy how low they were

Telephone companies have been trying to get out of TV for YEARS.
So are some Cable Companies, WOW (Wide Open West) and Verizon Fios are the biggest, wanting to provide Broadband only.

had to be for the year if it was in the late 80's early 90's

yeah everything I search for just says either the founder passed away or when Dish bought them out

$139 for the 1997 season through Superstar ;)

Looking at that site and seeing how **much** some of those packages were for the year compared to now is crazy how low they were
Thats what made the C-Band so great ...
As I have mentioned before, my 1st year with the ST I paid $79.
$99 the 2nd year.

Reactions: Mr Tony
This is from several Years ago .... at least the one about Verizon adding Youtubetv.

• Sad
Sigh. As a FiOS broadband subscriber, article got my hopes up for a “free” subscription to YTTV.

Sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
This is from several Years ago .... at least the one about Verizon adding Youtubetv.
So, it has been going on for awhile.

I've noticed in the last two weeks Consolidated has kinda "given up the ghost" when it comes to the programming guide. I know they get it from someone (I think its Rovi which is also what Tivo has) and they get an update once a day (around 1am) but the last two weeks its been terrible. Some examples
-large swaths of "to be announced" or "-no title-" on channels
-generic guide info instead of a specific info
-on the sports channels its terrible. Yesterday on ABC they listed what is normally on a Monday instead of listing the bowl game in the afternoon and the NFL game at night
-ESPN and its sister stations are a mess. Programming is either wrong or just says "sports programming". Had nothing right yesterday between the bowl games, the cbb games and the NFL. They didnt even list the NFL game on ESPN or ESPN2 just "college football"
-Bally Sports North lists NBA basketball but "Teams to be Announced" in the listing and only for 2 hours. According to the listings the Timberwolves played 4 games in a row

I've called in previous times this has happened and usually it was "a bad batch of data we got" but when I called in a couple weeks ago I was told "it will be fixed in a day or two" but hasn't.

I use Sling for most of my recordings (except for channels I don't get on there) but Consolidated just doesn't care about the TV customers anymore. It will be interesting when we switch to Directv Stream. I'll be honest that's the best option because they are supplying 2 of the boxes (the C71KW) because most of the folks in the apartment complex are either near or at retirement age (I would say at least 70%) so it has channel numbers.