The end is near for Windows XP

...but overall the systems have been rock steady and easy to run (especially the desktops).
+1
New hardware, clean install, stay away from old NVidia hardware/drivers... all you need to do.

Sometimes I think if there was one checkbox switch to XP-type GUI (just like XP can be turned to Win2K), there wouldn't be so many complaints.

Diogen.

It's the redheaded stepchild of Microsoft.

I believe Vist will take that crown...

I am an old time PC tech. started in the Dos 2.11 days back in '82

Microsft gets rid of an operating system when they finaly get it stable and working...

sure XP has some quirks but it much better that Vista will ever bee in my opinion..

Microsoft is in for a rude awakening if they thing these large businesses will jump to Vista any time soon..

Saw a clip on the CNBC ticker this morning. Went to CNBC.COM and found this article:

Microsoft Earnings Preview: Yahoo/Vista Soap Opera
Microsoft Earnings Preview: Yahoo/Vista Soap Opera - CNBC By The Numbers - MSNBC.com

XP WON'T DIE - Many customers are clinging to Windows XP even though sales of new machines with XP are scheduled to end on June 30. This morning, Microsoft Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer hinted that deadline could get pushed back because of customer demand, especially from businesses who aren't upgrading to Vista.

Keep the faith brothers!:up

We are a small telecom construction business and we do in house engineering and have about 15 comps. Most are windows 2k and they are very stable machines. We have 3 XP machines including my HP dual core 2gHZ and they are pretty good as well.

We added 2 Vista laptops. The problem is that Vista is a major resource hog and why MS did something stupid like not make Vista compatable with Windows networking is really a BIG deal. Add to that drivers are STILL not available and you have reason enough to go back to XP pro.

After a disaster a couple weeks ago all new comps will be XP machines until I see MAJOR improvements in Vista.

P.S. and as for Microsoft Office....

www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite by Java. Works EXACTLY like office 2000. Even the same filetypes so you can move back and forth between the two if you have to.

Yeah some folks are having issues but nothing new with any new OS.. Overall I use it every day basis without any real big issues in the corporate world as well both Vista and Office 2007

For most part folks complain about anything new and change but for most part the OS runs great. The main issues I have seen are folks are trying to run things that are not compatible with the OS yet. Mainly 3rd party apps but most of the issues have seen outside the office world are things that users are doing to their machines. It's real simple before you upgrade to Vista make sure your current PC will run it and I advise that folks run the Vista tool which will check your machine make sure the hardware and software will work properly.

But like with any software some things run better on some machines than others that has always been the case. So just because some have a issue running Vista on their machine does not mean everyone else will. It all depends on whats been done to the machine and who is using it.. :)

Networking Side of things I use Vista and had NO issues.. Again with any network it all depends on who sets it up and how things have been configured. Overall on the Networking I had NO issues with Vista running on a network. Now one thing that will help things better which is already out on the Networking side of things is 2008 Server. Some folks are still on Win 2k which is ok but really by now its better to be at least on 2003 Server.

They made some changes on 2008 from 03 your looking at a 5yr gap. So just because folks dont update things does not mean the rest of the world going to stop making changes on the Server side same as with the OS.. So more you stay up to date in long run better shape you will be and longer you put things off the longer it takes to learn all the things that have changed.. Again I have not see any main issues with Vista on a network but that does not mean folks have not ran into some. Many times when folks make changes you just got to make sure you configure things the right way. Since some folks dont know how to they want to point the blame at the OS or something else. When in reality they just dont know how to properly setup things so it takes someone else doing it for them or you must learn how to do it yourself..

Vista had issues seeing SMB shares set up on Linux boxes.
But those were resolved before it went gold code, IIRC...

Diogen.

Too many people, too many corporations complaining to blame it on the installers.

Let's face it... when Windows XP was released in 2001 it sucked as well. Don't you realize all you Vista bitches were just the "REAL" beta testers? XP ran ok with Sp1a, but with SP2 it does very well. Sp3 improves on that. Not bad after 6 years. it will take Vista 2 or more years to get good as well. I see many businesses not upgrading because guess what.. their software won't work on Vista. Once business changes.. everyone changes.

You can now purchase the downgrade to vista option. My advice just buy OEM Vista BUSINESS and reload your Vista certified machines yourself. Or buy them preloaded with
Vista Business. Also using Diskeeper 2008 improved my performance on my SATA drives by 15 percent!!!

Has anyone read anything about the next version of Windows.. I read somewhere that it is going to be called Windows 7 and expected to be released late 2009 or early 2010... also heard that Microsoft is planning to do major OS changes (New Operating System) ever couple of years after that.

Has anyone read anything about the next version of Windows.. I read somewhere that it is going to be called Windows 7 and expected to be released late 2009 or early 2010... also heard that Microsoft is planning to do major OS changes (New Operating System) ever couple of years after that.
Two Microsoft years is ten human years.

Vista was supposed to be major, but we come to find that nothing has changed; it is just more fussy.

Two Microsoft years is ten human years.

Vista was supposed to be major, but we come to find that nothing has changed; it is just more fussy.

Don't be silly. It runs slower and burns more memory, requiring new faster computers to keep pace. It has more junk embedded that has absolutely no place in an operating system. All that new junk provides lots of new security holes, thus providing employment to the folks at Symantek for years to come. What better definition of a major release is possible :)

Partial Timeline of Releases

Release Date ---------- Product Name ---------- Version ---------- Notes

2010 (planned) Windows 7 (codenamed Blackcomb, then Vienna) NT 7.0 Future release

February 2008 Windows Server 2008 NT 6.0.6001 Current

July 2007 Windows Home Server NT 5.2.4500 Current

November 2006 (volume licensing)/January 2007 (retail) Windows Vista NT 6.0.6000
Current. Version Changed to NT 6.0.6001 with SP1 (February 4th 08)

April 2005 Windows XP Professional x64 Edition NT 5.2.3790 Current

April 2003 Windows Server 2003 NT 5.2.3790 Current for SP1, R2, SP2

March 2003 Windows XP 64-bit Edition 2003 NT 5.2.3790 Unsupported

October 2001 Windows XP NT 5.1.2600 Current for SP2 and SP3

February 2000 Windows 2000 NT 5.0.3700.6690 Extended Support until July 13, 2010

July 1996 Windows NT 4.0 NT 4.0 Unsupported

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)