The End Of The 922

If they are getting rid of the 922 why can you still buy them from dish retailers?
Good point.....If I remember right as of a year or so ago....even if you bought your own vip922 the sling part has been deactivated....So there part of the way there making it on its way out the door.

I had the ViP 722k with the external Sling adapter and now that I have the Hopper 3, I wouldn't go back. The DishAnywhere app playing Sling content from my 722 worked, but there were times that the receiver would reboot, or the stream would take a minute or two to settle down. With the Hopper 3 the video quality of the streamed content seems far superior and launches quicker. The remote controls seem to operate faster, too.

I had used the analog back-feed from my ViP 722k to feed the old NTSC TV in the guest bedroom. I had it running to Channel 37 (one feature I liked about the 722 was the ability to use any open UHF channel, not just channel 3 or 4) and the stereo MTS made it not a bad way to watch Dish. For some reason the UHF remote in the guest bedroom had reception problems and would miss commands more often than accept them.

FWIW, I still have my old ViP 722k (no Sling as I sold that to someone at work). I'm still trying to figure out how best to utilize the 722k since I can't add it to my account for use in an RV or outside the house. I thought about using it with the Dish Pay as you go service but information about that is surprising hard to get good information about that service.

I bought a Tivo Ota Roamio unit from Bestbuy online and when it arrived I hooked it all up and tried to switch my lifetime membership warrenty from the old series 2 unit to this one and it didn't work. I called the customer service number the next day -due to their restricted hours of business- and the guy said you can't switch it. So I said that wasn't posted online when I bought it. He said that it was their policy. So I said: Ok , I will just take it back to Bestbuy and get my money back. He said Sorry nothing he could do. I said well you can tell your company you have lost a sub for life. I think that your policy sucks. You can cancel my account. He said they can't cancel it because you have lifetime membership on your series 2. So I said whatever and hung up. STUPID policy. Tivo would rather not sell their receivers I guess.

They have always offered lifetime. The Roamio OTA was the only exception of no lifetime on the unit unless you had purchased a unit that had lifetime on it (that started last May or so....). The previous monthly units they wouldnt allow it. So I upgraded to a Basic Roamio and they threw lifetime on it :)
(already had a S3 with Lifetime on it)

wrong:( several years ago the quit offering new lifetime activations on any box. I was shopping for a lifetime tivo andended up buying a used tivo from someone here.

not only did it save me money, but its worked flawlessely

best buy i made

I was annoyed that tivo dropped the lifetime, just when i was shopping.

their customer service is pretty good but not perfect..........

dish and its endless software issues was far worse

I live alone but I have a guest room in the apartment, family or friends will stay over. I can change the 922 over to Duo mode, bam, my guest room has it's own TV now. No extra fees. I'll pay for programming, that's fair (relatively). Not for extra boxes to sit unused most of the time. Bedroom does not need HD
I do not know if it will affect your decision, but a purchased Joey can be activated / deactivated any time you want, so there is no need to pay any fees for the time when it is not being used. If your guests stay less than a day, you can activate / deactivate the Joey the same day and pay zero Joey fees for that visit.

Just received a call from Dish stating the 922's will become inactive within a few months. Options are to either upgrade to hopper or 722 w/ sling. She tried telling me the 722 is newer than 922. Can't be true since the sling is built into the 922 and I upgraded from the 722 to 922. I wish I could have the Hopper 3 without sharing my DVR with my roommate. They have 612. I like my 922. If I have recorded shows on my EHD connected to 922, will I be able to watch those on the 722?

They have always offered lifetime. The Roamio OTA was the only exception of no lifetime on the unit unless you had purchased a unit that had lifetime on it (that started last May or so....). The previous monthly units they wouldnt allow it. So I upgraded to a Basic Roamio and they threw lifetime on it :)
(already had a S3 with Lifetime on it)
Right. (and this is more for Bob) And the Mini was also originally monthly only, but then later sold them with "Lifetime" included, and, if you called to request it and willing to pay a one-time payment of $59 (about that price), extended the Lifetime to those who were paying monthly for the Mini. So, those people were really P.O.ed because everyone else got a Mini for the original or later reduced price with Lifetime. TiVo granted no credit for all those several months, some for years, towards the one-time fee. Not beating up on TiVo, just sharing the facts.

Bob, if you don't have your S3 with PLS, then TiVo may offer you an upgrade, at hundreds of dollars, to the Bolt. The Bolt comes with first year free, but monthly ($14.99 or $19.99) or annual ($149.99) after that. Further, TiVo's new Liftetime now re-named "All-in" option is $599 with no MSD. If TiVo gives you a discount on the box, you may have to pay FULL rates for any of the monthly, annual, or All-in options.

I think Bob is in for a shock when he gets up to speed on TiVo as of today. I would like to see TiVo around for many years, but business is business. I understand TiVo is under pressure to survive, but while the new pricing looks good on the spreadsheet, it will only accelerate TiVo's demise, IMHO.

Of course, this is not to absolve Dish, DirecTV, nor the cable companies for its notorious fee structures.

Reactions: navychop
Now, back on topic: I really liked my 922 the two years I had it. I have to say, I was well aware of the reports of problems, but I just got really lucky because it was a great experience. Then we upgraded to 2 Hoppers There were 2 things I liked about the 922 that Dish did NOT carry over to the Hopper, but I wish they had:

1.The dark blue EPG. Much easier on the eye than the white of the Hopper.

2. Finding channels by NAME. This one was great and very useful and I've needed it a number of times since we got the Hopper. There are some channels--because I may not watch those but very rarely--for which I haven't a clue where located. Finding channels by name is a GREAT feature that is truly useful. But time marches on.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts