The Future of HD for Dish?

DirecTV quote of 150 HD channel capacity is by using the new generation MPEG4 encoder’s with six HD channel’s per transponder. Dish could play the same game with their 18 to 32 HD CONUS transponders transmitting HD now.

Hmm, I am going to buy a Ford Truck because they say by the end of the year it's gonna get 90 miles to a gallon. It only gets 15 mpg now, but they say it will do 90mpg by end of 07, so I am gonna go ahead and buy it now. hmmm see a problem with this ?

Oh, as far as Voom bashing, our family likes Equator, Monsters, Kungfu, rave, and family, so it's not at all bad !!!

Hmm, I am going to buy a Ford Truck because they say by the end of the year it's gonna get 90 miles to a gallon. It only gets 15 mpg now, but they say it will do 90mpg by end of 07, so I am gonna go ahead and buy it now. hmmm see a problem with this ?

Oh, as far as Voom bashing, our family likes Equator, Monsters, Kungfu, rave, and family, so it's not at all bad !!!

No but if you read Motor Trend and they had an article about the Ford Truck coming out the end of the year with the new system that allowed it to get 90 miles to a gallon, you just might order one. Or maybe you saw it at the auto show - but this is a much truer analogy than yours for sure.

Also, if you think mentioning the fact that the VOOM channels have low ratings - that means low in terms of viewership numbers, not low in terms of the content shown.

As a matter of fact, more people watch every RedSox game on NESN in just the Boston DMA than watch ANY show on VOOM (and that's on a NATIONAL basis). Now that only says more people are interested in that program, not that the program is not worth watching.

That is not a bashing of VOOM.

AFAIK, none of the Superstations at this time are HD enabled. IIRC, TBS has announced they will have the Superstation up on D* later this year. For WGN, from web site, http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/about/site/feedback/:

What is HD enabled? KTLA here in Los Angeles is one of the Superstations. They broadcast in HD, but are not carried in HD by E*. They are not even available in HD in our LIL HD.

AFAIK, none of the Superstations at this time are HD enabled. IIRC, TBS has announced they will have the Superstation up on D* later this year. For WGN, from web site, http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/about/site/feedback/:

What is HD enabled? KTLA here in Los Angeles is one of the Superstations. They broadcast in HD, but are not carried in HD by E*. They are not even available in HD in our LIL HD.

AFAIK, usually the Superstation feed that goes out on satellite is not exactly the same feed as what the local station broadcasts. There are syndication rules on some programs that say they can't show them nationwide, just local. So what folks in Chicago can see on channel 9, which shows HD locally, may not be what is shown on the Superstation, which isn't set up to distribute a HD signal. That said, I don't know if KTLA also in the same situation as WGN and WTBS but looking over at Lyngsat I don't see them as being on a uplink for HD.

DirectTV has been claiming in one form or another that lots of HD channels are "coming soon" for a couple of years now.

Yawn.

The current DirectTV promise of a "surge" in HD channels to quell the "HD insurgents" demanding more HD content is likely to be just another ineffective and failed DirectTV management strategy.

Its not a question of having to convince me, you or anyone else whether or not its a loss. I simply stated that VOOM has very low viewership (because it DOES). If it is something important to you, that's great. But NO ONE else carries even one channel of VOOM. I definitely read many more posts of people wanting MLB, or RSN or mainstream HD channels than VOOM.
Where are you getting this information?

I was a D* sub for almost 7 yrs...switched to V* because I wanted a range of quality HD content, then followed their offerings to E*.

I haven't looked back. D* is in 'a little more action, a little less conversation' mode right now, in my book.

I like movies and docs and a range of other programming choices--and I pay a premium for it and HD. D* makes plenty of money from the folks who must have every game...I'm not their target market, apparently. That's fine. My money is going elsewhere and I'm happy w/ the hardware, the programming, the whole nine yards (if you'll pardon the sports analogy ;)).

E* will have my business until they prove they're not interesting in my programming wishes. Those who don't find Voom channels et al to their liking have ALREADY made their choice, so quoting D* sub surveys is rather pointless.
It's the cable stragglers who hold the most new sub potential, anyways.

Where are you getting this information?

This is actually some of the easiest info to figure out. VOOM is only available to a select number of DISH customers - correct? Can it be a million total? And it is ONLY on DISH!
http://www.voom.tv/voom/about_us/index.html

Do the math yourself. With a total POSSIBLE viewership of such a low number - there is no way the ratings would be substantial for any channel or program.

To each his own, I have both DirecTV and Dishnetwork in HD... I watch something off Voom everyday... it might be 2 or 3 days before I watch something on DirecTV HD ( I'm watching Nbc nightly news SD right now because I'm grandfathered for the distants on DirectV)

To each his own, I have both DirecTV and Dishnetwork in HD... I watch something off Voom everyday... it might be 2 or 3 days before I watch something on DirecTV HD ( I'm watching Nbc nightly news SD right now because I'm grandfathered for the distants on DirectV)

What is it that you are missing - I am making a comparison of ratings of viewership, I am not in any way judging the content or worth of the offering.

That being said, viewership ratings of VOOM programs are LOW. Viewership ratings of RedSox games (and that is just one example) are higher than the total viewership at any one time of ALL VOOM channels combined. The numbers just don't lie.

More burgers are sold than steaks in this country on any given day, too...what IS your point?

That its a niche premium suite of channels? Doh. You're kidding?

Stick w/ your 50 CSI spin-offs, derivative sitcoms, and whatever else you want to claim is 'compelling' based purely on the dumbed-down American audience numbers--fact is, E* is making bank on V* from an increasing number of HD-focussed subs, and I bet some of those are D* defectors (like me). Premium means just that...its not the average and a smaller slice of the programming world by nature.

Let those who see the value of Voom be. You're not making any salient points to the OT by pushing FUD.

I think you need to learn to read more carefully. All the guy is saying is that those channels don't have a huge fan base - and I tend to agree. He has not said some people. Don't love it. You need to accept the truth that obviously most people don't care about VOOM.

And I'm saying that 'most people' could carry over to a discussion of any number of programming options that still are a premium draw to a service. The point being made is point-LESS.

HD is only in what percentage of homes? So Voom is limited to them. And what percentage of homes w/ HDTVs actually sub to any kind of HD content? Minimal.

But those who DO, they are looking for compelling HD content...and a good number of that number are finding out about and subbing to E* and Voom programming. The HD enthusiasts look to Voom as a sort of killer app...but they are indeed in the minority at the moment. And...

Nobody disputes that. But if someone comes in wanting solid HD content, to turn around and start twisting the argument to Voom's small numbers when the whole darn HD content game is ABOUT small numbers right now (but growing--and E*s new subs this past year were increasingly the lucrative HD-centric kind)--that's sort of ludicrous. Point is, HD's niche playing is a fact...right now. But E* has gone after that market with gusto, and that's why I'm their customer.

We'll see how things pan out over the next few...and whether talk triumphs over a solid deliverable which I'm enjoying AS I TYPE.

Well now comcast has almost caught up with dish. I'm deciding wether to upgrade to dish mpeg4 or go with comcast and their ditch the dish promo

Still hope comcast can come to an agreement with HDNet

So far it looks like only dish has:
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Voom (15) (which the only time i watched 1 channel was the bond filmfest)
HGTV
FoodNetwork

Only Comcast Has:
WPBF
WPEC
WFLX
WPTV
WXEL
Versus/Golf
INHD

There are Nielsen numbers available for the RSN's I'm sure - but I would tend to agree that NESN has higher viewership than all of VOOM combined when the RedSox are on. What's the difference anyhow? Watch whatever you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)