The future of satellite TV is unclear

People have been forecasting the end of newspapers for decades and the end of radio for a while. Hasn't happened. I don't think local OTA is going away in the next 50 years, ESPECIALLY in smaller markets. Local news and weather is too important to people. Nothing can match the immediacy of a local broadcast. Cells? Only if you have cell towers. Internet? Only if you have cable/fiber.

People WANT their local news & weather. Now, maybe there will be more consolidation and you'll end up with 1-2 local broadcasters, but I don't think it's going away.
People want their news I read my news on my TV,facebook, Twitter I no longer read my news in our newspaper more and more folks are reading their news on the internet by the time you get your news to a paper it's way over with

Exactly. So having local OTA doesn’t matter or make sense. It could disappear without any true repercussions to someone’s well being. Granted, it is just another avenue they have available to them.

Women in prime demos want their local news and weather. I work with a bunch of them. Even the younger ones want to watch their local info every morning and usually in the evening. Local nets are NOT going away.

Reactions: sam_gordon
OTA will have a place for a while yet. Especially in rural areas where there's not much financial incentive for the cell carriers to provide a lot of coverage. ATSC 3.0 is right around the corner and that opens a whole new world of possible revenue and reasons for local broadcasters to exist. It will take time to get receivers to market but there are plenty of companies working on getting 3.0 off the ground. It's coming sooner rather than later.

Guess again..women will find other ways to get that info

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Nope. They want to watch it on their TV while they sit there eating their oatmeal. They aren't going to open a laptop or get on an iPad. Do you work with women? Are you married?

Thats the older generation...the newer generations use their phones...

Dangerous question here... who is "the older generation?" My ex-girlfriend is mid-30's and she watches the morning and evening news. But that's ok, you know everything Juan. I forgot.

Reactions: JSheridan
Thats the older generation...the newer generations use their phones...

So, totally anecdotal here, but this is what I've observed. Single, young people get all that info on their phones or some other device delivering the Internet. Once they are in a relationship, that begins to change somewhat. If/Once they have kids, it becomes much more like us oldsters. That said, our local weather and news channel broadcasts are available via Echo, Google Home, etc. now, so I am curious to see how that shifts things.

Dangerous question here... who is "the older generation?" My ex-girlfriend is mid-30's and she watches the morning and evening news. But that's ok, you know everything Juan. I forgot.
Its not that I know everything..its just like telling me all women get their music from am radio....habits change as technology changes....my parents still watch the CBS evening news...the younger generation could care less

Its not that I know everything..its just like telling me all women get their music from am radio....habits change as technology changes....my parents still watch the CBS evening news...the younger generation could care less

Rather than make speculation without those pesky things called facts, let's look at some hard data: "Women watch an average of 2 hours 34 minutes of TV per day:" TV's Big Role in America's Free-Time Gender Gap - The Atlantic

Reactions: TheKrell

I'm one of those old folks, just about 75. I gave up on newspapers a while back because, as has been mentioned, it's old news by the time I get it. I watch CBS news in the evening because it is there. If it wasn't, I have other ways to receive the news and I'd not really miss it just like the newspaper.

So, totally anecdotal here, but this is what I've observed. Single, young people get all that info on their phones or some other device delivering the Internet. Once they are in a relationship, that begins to change somewhat. If/Once they have kids, it becomes much more like us oldsters. That said, our local weather and news channel broadcasts are available via Echo, Google Home, etc. now, so I am curious to see how that shifts things.
You can get local news from the roku now

I'm one of those old folks, just about 75. I gave up on newspapers a while back because, as has been mentioned, it's old news by the time I get it. I watch CBS news in the evening because it is there. If it wasn't, I have other ways to receive the news and I'd not really miss it just like the newspaper.

Even newspaper companies don't consider themselves newspaper companies anymore. They are "digital media" companies. The only still print papers because they can still make a buck doing so. Once that ends, so will the printing. That said, their own research has shown them they cannot just shovel print content online. Very few people read in-depth journalism like you get in a newspaper online. The result? A less-informed populace, which does none of us any favors.

My kids don’t watch my Dish. They watch Netflix, mostly. My daughter has been stuck on YouTube. Unfortunately, she likes to watch people play video games. It’s weird. That was the worst part of video games growing up... watching others play while waiting your turn. Now that is HOW they want to watch.

she likes to watch people play video games. It’s weird.

I have to agree. It seems odd to me. I wanted to play video kids when I was a kid, not watch other people play them. Maybe it's the commentary they enjoy listening to? I guess some of these gamers are Youtube "comedians."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)