The future of satellite TV is unclear

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Deeper Dive—Is satellite TV worth saving? | FierceVideo
Deeper Dive—Is satellite TV worth saving?
DirecTV and Dish Network had a lousy 2018. Combined, they lost a staggering number of subscribers, which raises the question: Can satellite TV be saved? And if so, is it worth the effort?

According to the Leichtman Research Group’s newest figures, DirecTV and Dish lost 2,875,000 net video subscribers in 2018, compared to a pro forma loss of about 1,510,000 subscribers in 2017. Those numbers are shocking in their own right, but are even more stunning when considering that those services lost only 40,000 subscribers in 2016.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It all comes down to cost. The greedy providers seem to be of the opinion they can get whatever they want and even streaming prices are set to rise dramatically. I read somewhere that Direct TV NOW is raising their prices significantly which will almost certainly cause subscriber losses.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It all comes down to cost. The greedy providers seem to be of the opinion they can get whatever they want and even streaming prices are set to rise dramatically. I read somewhere that Direct TV NOW is raising their prices significantly which will almost certainly cause subscriber losses.

The market will correct itself eventually.

Reactions: navychop
My wife and I have found ourselves watching a whole lot more YouTube and even Amazon Prime. We’ve always been happy to get the 250 plan, for certain channels. Equipment is really good, save for occasional glitches. When it works, it’s great.

But now, we have to consider that around $130/month is just too much, especially as our viewing habits are changing.

And we’re getting error code 04 more. Gotta run checkswitch.

I guess I’ll have to see what we’ll lose by dropping to 200, and what we’d save - and if we dropped the second HWS.

Project for May or June, after vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My wife and I have found ourselves watching a whole lot more YouTube and even Amazon Prime. We’ve always been happy to get the 250 plan, for certain channels. Equipment is really good, save for occasional glitches. When it works, it’s great.

But now, we have to consider that around $130/month is just too much, especially as our viewing habits are changing.

I guess I’ll have to see what we’ll lose by dropping to 200, and what we’d save - and if we dropped the second HWS.

When you drop the second HWS it might be time to get that H3! Red recording light be damned!!! :D

If you drop to the 200 from the 250 you'll lose the American Heroes Channel (Formerly Military Channel) among others.

Here's a thought... Are the providers the greedy ones? What about the ones they buy from? Production companies and sports organizers. Are they the greedy ones? What about the ones they buy from? Actors, directors, writers, grips, best boys, coaches, players, trainers, GM's, etc. :D

If you drop to the 200 from the 250 you'll lose the American Heroes Channel (Formerly Military Channel) among others.

I have AT250 and I looked last year in dropping to AT200 and I would lose a lot of channels including all of the Encores. To save $10 a month it is not worth it. I did drop the News Pack recently, as I was paying for $10 extra just to get BBC World. On the internet there are feeds of BBC News elsewhere for free. Plus PBS runs it at night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts