The Good Wife

This is the last season and it won't be back , so at this point the show has probably already finished filming for the year anyway. I'm betting that we won't see that many more new episodes , between specials , sporting events , etc before the finale in early May.

This is the last season and it won't be back , so at this point the show has probably already finished filming for the year anyway. I'm betting that we won't see that many more new episodes , between specials , sporting events , etc before the finale in early May.

According to IMDB, there are 5 episodes left.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MikeD-C05
And hopefully it will have a happy ending.
Well I wonder how they can wrap up a 20 year marriage that is obviously never worked. The job , I can see the all female law firm that Diane is proposing. Maybe the female partners go out musically singing like in the First Wives Club : "You don't own me......":biggrin

While "The Good Wife" is done, I am hearing some buzz about a possible continuation of the show a la "The Practice" > "Boston Legal"
Lots of speculation with nothing concrete.

The series finale ended up pretty much the the way I expected to. So, I was disappointed.

Yep . No happy ending for the good wife. I would think that they would allow her at least a boyfriend at the end. Sad ending and not really worthy of the show.

(It has been more than 36 hours since this episode aired so anyone reading this thread should expect spoilers!)

1) She did not end up a loser. She ended up alone and seemingly friendless. There is a difference. In her face you saw the range of emotions: despair, to sadness, resignation. She's slapped: shock, sadness, anger dissolving into determined resolve... and she walked off to the next chapter in her life. Perfect!
2) There is a particular style of story-telling of which I am a fan. It has a name, but I am having brain-lock right now. In this style the character ends up in the same state at the very end of the story as at the beginning. If you watch the first 10 or so minutes of the pilot and the very last few minutes of the finale, you will see all the parallels. That is not to say "nothing happened". It's to say another cycle begins. The character is smarter, wiser, different by what happened in the story, but here (s)he is again ready to take on the next challenge.

A movie which I love tremendously disappointed me at the end because of this. (Spoilers for those who haven't seen "Boyhood") If you look at "Boyhood" it starts off with a 6 year-old looking at the sky and pondering what's to come. At the end, the same boy, now on the verge of being a man 12 years later is sitting in the desert with friends looking at what could become his wife. He looks at her, looks into the distance, back at her and back into the distance with a smile. I WANTED SO BADLY for him to lay back on the desert ground and look up at the sky before the cut to black. Why? he would be pondering the same questions he did 12 years earlier, only with the new perspective only age, experience and wisdom can bring.

"The Good Wife" did just this in the series finale. It is SOOOO much more satisfying than riding off into the sunset with a new beau or some sort of sappy hug and say good-bye sequence.

(It has been more than 36 hours since this episode aired so anyone reading this thread should expect spoilers!)

1) She did not end up a loser. She ended up alone and seemingly friendless. There is a difference. In her face you saw the range of emotions: despair, to sadness, resignation. She's slapped: shock, sadness, anger dissolving into determined resolve... and she walked off to the next chapter in her life. Perfect!
2) There is a particular style of story-telling of which I am a fan. It has a name, but I am having brain-lock right now. In this style the character ends up in the same state at the very end of the story as at the beginning. If you watch the first 10 or so minutes of the pilot and the very last few minutes of the finale, you will see all the parallels. That is not to say "nothing happened". It's to say another cycle begins. The character is smarter, wiser, different by what happened in the story, but here (s)he is again ready to take on the next challenge.

A movie which I love tremendously disappointed me at the end because of this. (Spoilers for those who haven't seen "Boyhood") If you look at "Boyhood" it starts off with a 6 year-old looking at the sky and pondering what's to come. At the end, the same boy, now on the verge of being a man 12 years later is sitting in the desert with friends looking at what could become his wife. He looks at her, looks into the distance, back at her and back into the distance with a smile. I WANTED SO BADLY for him to lay back on the desert ground and look up at the sky before the cut to black. Why? he would be pondering the same questions he did 12 years earlier, only with the new perspective only age, experience and wisdom can bring.

"The Good Wife" did just this in the series finale. It is SOOOO much more satisfying than riding off into the sunset with a new beau or some sort of sappy hug and say good-bye sequence.

I too saw it as coming full circle.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

Well I didn't like the ending. I see what you are saying about coming full circle , but it looks to me like nothing changes in her life except cycles of humiliation , and then shame followed by hurt and then repeat. I hate to think that she learned nothing in the 7 years we watched, to learn to overcome this dsyfunctional cycle. I wanted her to divorce Peter, walk off in the sunset with her new beau and get her happy ending. But I am a sap for happy endings.

Reactions: KAB
But she did learn something. She was not the same person at the end as she was at the beginning of the series. At the beginning of the series she was always worried about what others thought. She was always questioning her self-worth and measuring herself by other's metrics. She was constantly trying to please others to feel she was accomplishing a goal. She was constantly trying to find a way to be a truly independent person. By the end of this episode, she was no longer in need of public affirmation. She no longer needed nor sought the support of others to move forward. She was a truly independent person. However, to do this she had to cut ties with everything and everyone. She moves on to the next stage of her life free of encumbrances and a better, stronger person because of her experiences.

Happy endings are fine, but there is no such things as "happily ever after." One just moves to the next set of challenges.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
ok , ok , you can rest your case. I concede that you're right. :clappingI guess I didn't see all that in her character development and you did. I just hope that the actress who played her doesn't have to wait long for her next series on tv. She is definitely a "good actress" even if she didn't turn out to be a "good wife". :hatsoff

cbs very close to ordering a spinoff of the good wife with christine baranksi, cush jumbo, and possibly carrie preston. show would begin airing in january on cbs all access. could be announced as soon as wednesday at cbs upfront!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)