The Google Phone (G1)

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
Was wondering if anyone had this one and if they could give us a brief review. I was thinking about getting it. I have been a t-mobile customer since forever, (I think they were primco) and have always enjoyed the service quality, (sure its a budget type provider but dollar for dollar you cant beat it) 3G Is availible all over my area (I live in Orlando) So I will get the full benefits of the GPhone, (I also hear their 3g network is VERY fast compared to other 3g networks, likly because of lack of use)

So has anyone any experiance with this phone pros and cons (perferrablly about the phone not tmobile themselves)

I have been a t-mobile customer since forever, (I think they were primco) and have always enjoyed the service quality, (sure its a budget type provider but dollar for dollar you cant beat it)

So has anyone any experiance with this phone pros and cons (perferrablly about the phone not tmobile themselves)

Most of Primeco was rolled into Verizon Wireless. Most of T-Mobile used to be Voicestream.

I believe the GPHONE is not out yet. I could be wrong the last i heard was that google was working on some bugs and hope to have it ready by Feburary.

Well ive had my G1 for a couple days now and I must say I love it. Best phone Ive ever owned. The camera on it sucks though, its a waste of a feature.

The other downfall is the battery. 24hours is about all I can get although I am a heavy user at least since its still a new toy ;)

Got my G1 Android.

I have just got the G1 Google Phone and its great.

Apple doesn't have anything on this guy, except perhaps the iTunes. :D

My say that I have loving this. I am using it to replace a blackberry and I could not have made a better choice. I have always wanted an iphone, but I need to use this for work and the lack of a keyboard was too pedestrian. Plus I have tmobile for my wife's phone and I wanted to go with the cheap 2nd line option that they offer. So to get a smart phone and be with tmobile, that meant the G1 or another BB.

Well, the G1 was the better choice. Wow is this thing cool. Features that I like.

1. TouchScreen.
2. 3G/Edge Connectivity (beats my old BB)
3. 802.11 Nice to use a hotspot for better speeds.
4. Keyboard
5. Mp3 Player
6. Video Player (you tube built in)
7. Its a Linux box.
8. USB connectivity to my PC
9. SD Card for expandable storage
10. Extensive Google apps (Maps, Gmail, Gtalk, YouTube again)
11. App Store with lots of free apps.
12. GPS
13. Accelerometer

The thing that makes this phone a cut above is of course the open source nature of its OS. There will be other phones using this "Android" OS in the coming years, so I would expect that it will gain market share accordingly as there are more carriers and hardware vendors using them.

When you get the phone, they make you sign up for a gmail account. Luckily I already had one, so I just punched in the username and password and away it went. I brought up my Gmail, Gtalk contacts, etc. Maps found my L attitude friends and everything. The web browsing experience was also so superior to what I had with my BB. The touch screen makes all the difference in the world.

So after I get online and test out the phone's features its time to hit the "App Market". There are a ton of clever homemade apps here along with a few professional apps. On the pro side is a free PacMan from Namaco which is about as authentic as you can get. From google they have a gps tracker program which just made my Garmin obsolete, and a map editor that uploads everything to "my maps" in google. Just awesome.

Well, as you might expect I went download happy on day one and one of the items on the agenda was a "exchange" compatible app for my work email. I installed one and I get mail, calender and contact info from my company server.

In the fun department, I have a light-saber app which makes sounds based on the accelerometer. I am waiting for my 4yr old boy to shake the heck out of the phone. A terminal emulator was a welcomed app. I don't have root (yet), but it was cool to run "top" to see what was eating my my battery. With heavy use I have been putting this battery to its limit. I can see that it won't be like my BB where I could go several days without a charge.

Other notable apps were a visual voice mail app, the opera browser, and several utility apps (system monitor stuff, including one that mimics a tricorder).

So far very happy. I expect to hear more about Android phones in the future.

I love the G1 but waiting on for it to be on a real network . I was given a developers version which I used while i was visiting canada ( developers version is unlocked but cant use the app store ) great phone. I cant agree cyclone it really not doing much more in terms of productivity then my bb 7100i
As I have Google apps installed on my blackberry it like almost the same thing . ( here is what I have on my bb ) Gmail- well for my mail and even support google apps domains so it go beyond just gmail.com , gtalk, gsync which sync my contacts calendar etc with google. Since I altered the gmail app to pole the gmail server ever 3 minutes I dont even use my push email any more.

In terms of having fun the G1 from HTC totally blows away the BB tons of great apps that are well time wasters or mildly useful but for business productivty I dont think the G1 or iphone still are them with a deck out blackberry. even an old one like the 7100i crusing alone on iden packet data and amazing 30kbps a second it like being on the netin the 28.8kbps days.

I would have got a G1 instead of an iPhone, but throughout Cleveland, T-mobile is only 2G. Their biggest downfall far and away is their network. Had Sprint or Verizon picked up the G1, it would have been a wildly successful phone in my opinion.

I would have got a G1 instead of an iPhone, but throughout Cleveland, T-mobile is only 2G. Their biggest downfall far and away is their network. Had Sprint or Verizon picked up the G1, it would have been a wildly successful phone in my opinion.

And if T-Mo wouldn't have had HTC gimp it so that it only runs on the T-Mo's 3G frequencies, they could have sold quite a few to AT&T customers who aren't interested in the iPhone.

In general I like my G1 (have had for ~6 months), but I don't have 3G at my house which is a bummer, and their external (corporate) email support needs work. There's some other issues, but in general it's a good phone. Wouldn't call it great.

I live in Orlando and have 3g almost everywhere its great. My only complaint is the battery life. I barely make it a full day.. But I do a lot of web surfing..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts