The great Comcast Sports Net/Dish TV HD fraud.....

OK, so I guess I'm finding this out the hard way. Installed two days ago. From looking at the website, is next to impossible for someone who is not a Dish customer to see what is really going on here. In my case both NESN, and CSNNE are shown in the channel listing as being in HD. I sign up, and now find out that both of those channels are in SD 95% of the time, and only in HD when dish decides it's worth their time. BS! I am calling now, and will lose it if these two channels are in SD all of the time!
Almost all local games (NBA, NHL, etc...) should be in HD, at least on the East Coast. The Celtics game that preempted the Revs match-up was almost certainly HD.

taminloudon said:
OK, so I guess I'm finding this out the hard way. Installed two days ago. From looking at the website, is next to impossible for someone who is not a Dish customer to see what is really going on here. In my case both NESN, and CSNNE are shown in the channel listing as being in HD. I sign up, and now find out that both of those channels are in SD 95% of the time, and only in HD when dish decides it's worth their time. BS! I am calling now, and will lose it if these two channels are in SD all of the time!

As the previous poster stated, in HD for live games only. Good news as a fellow New Englander and NESN/CSN New England viewer, Dish is very good with our games, as we are pretty much the only region in the Northeast that Dish carries RSNs for, with the exception of Pittsburgh. NYC, Philly, and Buffalo all not on Dish. Other than Pittsburgh, the nearest to us is MASN, which Dish only carries in SD.

taminloudon said:

On Dish the RSN'S only are in HD when one of the major league teams they carry plays. On NESN that means the sox and bruins. If both play at the same time one will be on the NESN alternate which may or may not be in HD. During the run up to the stanley cup and throughout last baseball season NESN/DISH had about a 99.9% record of all games being in HD and shown from the beginning. I must admit I don't follow the celtics so I can't comment on CSN NE, but in theory the same should take place.
Until hockey is over it is best to double check the guide/NESN.com for the alternate channel listing. Usually the sox end up on the alternate channel...

The other part of this is that the part time HD for RSNs should be explained when customers sign up.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Virtually every pro game will be in HD on NESN and CSNNE. Losing it will get you nowhere.

Actually it did. Canceled with no term fee. Refunding all costs accept two days of service. I'm looking for mls Revolution games. These will always lose to any other NE team on hd. Actually turns out even when there is no conflicts it is still broadcast in sd. So it's a now go for me. The online subscription mls live is actually better quality than the sd channel. I know because I had it last season. The real reason to be upset is that this information is not available on their site. Actually the online programming guide shows that the hd channel is showing the same content that the sd channel does. When on fact it is not. Try it. Look at your local CSNNE channel through the online guide. Shows the hd channel with content that is not being aired. That's how I got out.

No sir, mine does not show a program in HD when it's not. In fact there are times the program IS in HD and doesn't show till that day as being so. For instance the HD channel of NESN shows NESN HD, with no programmng info...

I do agree the average person does not know any of this till they get the service, and would have no idea to ask.

I do agree the average person does not know any of this till they get the service, and would have no idea to ask.

Agreed. I have gotten over most of my anger about them not carrying full time HDRSNs ever since the middle of last summer when they started carrying almost every game I tried to watch in HD.

I would still like full time but they have gotten better. It is completely misleading that they clearly say they carry these RSNs in HD on their website with no mention of them being part time though. That's the part of this that ticked me off the most. I would have never signed up with them in the first place if they had been up front.

We'll see how it is this April when the MLB, NHL, and NBA all have games almost every night.

Tampa the guide on your DVR is correct, the guide on mydish.com shows the content playing on the HD channel. See image. Both NESN, and CSNNE are listed in HD and SD. The online guide shows the content playing on both channels. This is a blatant lie. They will be the first to tell you that HD content is only available during certain time for certain games. As a new customer checking the channel listing, and looking at this guide is the ONLY way to determine if the service will work for you. In this case, they are falsely advertising that content is available on these two HD channels.
Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 9.53.25 AM.png

Actually it did. Canceled with no term fee. Refunding all costs accept two days of service. I'm looking for mls Revolution games. These will always lose to any other NE team on hd. Actually turns out even when there is no conflicts it is still broadcast in sd. So it's a now go for me. The online subscription mls live is actually better quality than the sd channel. I know because I had it last season. The real reason to be upset is that this information is not available on their site. Actually the online programming guide shows that the hd channel is showing the same content that the sd channel does. When on fact it is not. Try it. Look at your local CSNNE channel through the online guide. Shows the hd channel with content that is not being aired. That's how I got out.

Revolution games are usually in HD. This past weekend the Celtics took precedent and they always do. The alt dish Channel 440 had the game in SD. Which made me watch it even less than the 3-0 thumping did. Once or twice last year their games were JIP when they were at 730 or 800 usually only 30 minutes in. Home games that start at 7:00 always seem to get full HD (barring Celtics)

The one thing that is frustrating about NESN HD on DISH is when the College Hockey east playoffs don't get HD coverage. They're at TD garden and it's a sort of big event for the region, but yet they don't get HD'd.

Well I was aware of the Celtics issue this past weekend. This meant that the Revs game was not broadcast at all on Dish. So the "original" air date for Dish was the following day the 18th. Neither of these were in HD. I understand that "reruns" might not ever be broadcast in HD. So with that info in hand I looked at the guide (on my dvr) for next weekend. The Revs game on the 24th is again this is being broadcast in SD only. So I decided to pull the plug after two days of service. Without anything else to go by all I could see was 24 months of service of which I was stuck in SD most of the time, and paying top dollar for it. The $59.99/season for MLS LIVE via the web is in HD, and looks much better even over the internet than the SD Dish channel does. Hell being a soccer guy I can even pay for FoxSoccer Live online. That is much steeper though at $170/season. Hulu has all the shows the wife likes, and at $7/Mo I can't beat that. Netflix streaming $8/Mo if you feel like that too. All said and done a lot cheaper than Dish, Direct, or Comcast for me. I figured I would pay a little more, have some nice DVR features, and get other sports too. I realize I'm certainly the odd ball. I like the Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins, but can certainly live without seeing them. I do enjoy my soccer though.
So basically it comes down to the fact that I found it pretty sleazy that the "not HD all the time" thing was all but impossible to find out before you get the service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)