The HD Absolute "Missing" SD Channels - anyone know why?

Oh come on, really now...I'm just asking a question. If my question screws up the only good deal in HD to be found anywhere, so be it.

34 channels have SD versions (82.9%). 7 don't. (17.1%). I just want to know why the 7 don't. I don really care if they take all the SD versions away, I just want to understand the inconsistency.

I didn't understand the inconsistency either and I got an answer (phone call) from the Dish executive address. They told me that the original HD channels in the HD Absolute package could not be activated without setting up the SD channels as well. They also told me that they intend to remove these SD channels in the future.

I would have no problem if they provided receivers for HD channels on analogue tv's. I wanted only HD channels, but I expect to have those available in the kid's room as well. So either SD versions of HD channels or receivers capable of receiving and performing on analogue sets. I am not asking for "free" SD channels, just the means to watch the HD channels I pay for on all the tv sets.

Anyway, this is a moot point as HD Absolute will be gone early in the new year...:(

I see them removing the SD channels. I speculate that on the Eastern Arc they will not want to have any SD channel that they have an HD version of the channel. This will save some capacity as the SD channels are turned off when HD channels are turned on. They probably will not want to have the issue of a sub getting a Dish pointed at EA only to find out that if they had a dish pointed out West they would get both the SD and the HD version of the channels. Then they would have customers wanting to point West then being told their market is only East for locals. Chaos and confusion would set in.

Tell your kids to watch what they get and get over it. Too many parents are catering to their kids whims. Tell them what they see is what they get.

Tell your kids to watch what they get and get over it. Too many parents are catering to their kids whims. Tell them what they see is what they get.

"WHAHHHH!!!!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!! WHAHHHH!!!!"

Yes those caps mean screaming. :D

I see the Hd only package as a just another bundle, I think that bundle should include the SD and HD versions of each channel. I have a lot of tv's and therefore a lot of tuners, several of my tuners are old DVR's that I purchased and do not lease I have one 501 and one 508, these are great for the kids tv areas as dvr's where I do not have hdtv's. For highdef I have one 622 one 722 in the rooms with the fancy tv's, all six of my tuners get a pretty regular workout. If the SD disappears I'd be sad but I'd save on extra reciever fees I suppose.

I see the Hd only package as a just another bundle, I think that bundle should include the SD and HD versions of each channel...
They already sell packages that meet that requirement. I believe the HD Only package was created more to see what kind of attention it would get and possibly keep some subs from leaving Dish. Dish initially ran into a difficulty in separating the HD channel from the SD channel but they have that worked out now.

HD Only works quite well for me. My kids are teens and our preferences are met by the channels offered in HD already. We only watch tv in one room, usually together. I would rather have as few extraneous channels as possible and pay as little as possible for the channels we are interested in.

I didn't understand the inconsistency either and I got an answer (phone call) from the Dish executive address. They told me that the original HD channels in the HD Absolute package could not be activated without setting up the SD channels as well. They also told me that they intend to remove these SD channels in the future...:(

We were told we would get the SD version along with the HD. This is no way to treat customers! :mad:

OKAY, this won't apply to everyone, but could mean a lot to some of us. I haven't checked Dish to see the channels, but if they go HD only, what will they do with the Golf channel, which is in HD only part time, and still puts a lot of SD programming since they don't have a dedicated channel. I eally don' tlike to wacth VS.

Yes, I am retired and do not have a real life, and one day you will too if all goes well.

OKAY, this won't apply to everyone, but could mean a lot to some of us. I haven't checked Dish to see the channels, but if they go HD only, what will they do with the Golf channel, which is in HD only part time, and still puts a lot of SD programming since they don't have a dedicated channel. I eally don' tlike to wacth VS.

Yes, I am retired and do not have a real life, and one day you will too if all goes well.

It's already an "HD" channel. Doesn't matter if most of the content is not HD.

HD Absolute had to contain some SD channels because it was not restricted to subs with VIP receivers only.

If it had no SD, many subs would lose the ability to use some of their receivers.

HD Absolute had to contain some SD channels because it was not restricted to subs with VIP receivers only.

If it had no SD, many subs would lose the ability to use some of their receivers.

So, you ask to be subbed to an HD ONLY package and yet expect to receive SD channels?

Yeah... ok.

What is so wrong with giving us the SD equivalents? There not taking up any bandwidth they don't take up already, and I don't see why Dish would have to pay extra (although maybe that's not true, anyone know?). What's the harm of having them?

As outlined, there are several reasns for HD subs wanting them. For channels with stretch-o-vision. To save recording space on SD programs. To get proper versions for our NTSC TV2 output.

8bitbytes,

Thanks for the response, but my confusion is that Golf (CH 401) is SD only, and not included in the HD only packages. THe HD version is VS/GF (CH 398) which carries only a few hours a day of Golf in HD, and the rest is VS. There are gold tournaments on during the VS time that are not on the HD channel that I DVR to watch later. So, if I don't stay with the top250 SD package, plus HD, I can't see CH401. Or am I wrong (usual situation with the better half)?

I agree with the thought by some here, that the all HD package now includes almost all channels we watch on a routine basis, and would probably switch if not for this, which is probably a good marketing tool by Dish to keep people signed on to the SD packages in addition.

No complaints, it is good to see the HD channel count rising.

Thanks

Golf and Vs are splitting out into separate HD channels in December, IIRC, so perhaps we'll eventually get both on E*.

I already get the SD versions of each in my Absolute package, don't you? 151 and 401 SD channels have been available to me since I got the package in February.

8bitbytes,

Thanks for the response, but my confusion is that Golf (CH 401) is SD only, and not included in the HD only packages. THe HD version is VS/GF (CH 398) which carries only a few hours a day of Golf in HD, and the rest is VS. There are gold tournaments on during the VS time that are not on the HD channel that I DVR to watch later. So, if I don't stay with the top250 SD package, plus HD, I can't see CH401. Or am I wrong (usual situation with the better half)?

I agree with the thought by some here, that the all HD package now includes almost all channels we watch on a routine basis, and would probably switch if not for this, which is probably a good marketing tool by Dish to keep people signed on to the SD packages in addition.

No complaints, it is good to see the HD channel count rising.

Thanks
Ah, ok. Sorry, I somehow thought VS/GF was what you were talking about. Hopefully, as this new satellite comes online and the next on goes up we will see more and more channels migrate to HD. I'm sticking with Absolute until it goes away and then I will probably abandon satellite tv completely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts