the honeymoon is over...

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
I am just completing the 3 month promotional period with Dish. I decided I would like to lease an additional standard receiver for a 3rd TV. Under the promotion, I could get 4 receivers installed free; however, now my status with Dish has been lowered to the dreaded "existing customer."

I asked Dish to send me an additional receiver to lease and they said it would cost me $149! I said I would install it myself and after putting me on hold, the CSR said it would still cost me $149. However, I could purchase the receiver from them for $113 and install it myself.

The lesson learned is -- make sure you order everything exactly as you want it when you go into these promotions as a new customer because, immediately after installation, you become a pain-in-the-a$$ existing customer and they could care less about you...

What a way to do business!

grb said:
I am just completing the 3 month promotional period with Dish. I decided I would like to lease an additional standard receiver for a 3rd TV. Under the promotion, I could get 4 receivers installed free; however, now my status with Dish has been lowered to the dreaded "existing customer."

I asked Dish to send me an additional receiver to lease and they said it would cost me $149! I said I would install it myself and after putting me on hold, the CSR said it would still cost me $149. However, I could purchase the receiver from them for $113 and install it myself.

The lesson learned is -- make sure you order everything exactly as you want it when you go into these promotions as a new customer because, immediately after installation, you become a pain-in-the-a$$ existing customer and they could care less about you...

Welcome to reality!!!!!!!

grb said:

Thats how it is where ever you go, doesnt matter your provider or what service(s) you may be getting. SBC charges $149 just to run a phone jack that a sub contractor will run for $59.

Van said:
Thats how it is where ever you go, doesnt matter your provider or what service(s) you may be getting. SBC charges $149 just to run a phone jack that a sub contractor will run for $59.

You are absolutely right! D* is the same when it comes to existing subscribers. However, it still amazes me that they all choose to treat their customers that way. With promotions and freebees given away to attract customers, you would think they would want to protect their investment...

Anyway, I found another receiver (4700) stashed away from 1999 when I originally had E* and all I need now is an SW21 switch, which I am buying from them ($19 plus shipping & tax). They tell me the existing card is eligible to be reactivated, so I'll be all set when I get the switch!

So, I guess the honeymoon is back on... :)

That don't make any sense. You would have to have DP equipment now. That 4700 is Legacy using an SW21 is not gonna do you any good.

What equipment do you have now? What receivers, LNB's, and any switches if you have them.

Dave nye said:
That don't make any sense. You would have to have DP equipment now. That 4700 is Legacy using an SW21 is not gonna do you any good.

What equipment do you have now? What receivers, LNB's, and any switches if you have them.

I have an independent dish that I am using for this one (4700) receiver. The dish is a Dish 500 and I don't know what the LNB's are -- they are the ones that I had with the original 1999 installation. So this is not integrated with my current existing installation(Dish 500 + 61.5 dishes).

I spoke to tech support and they told me that the switch I needed was the SW21 (2 feeds [one from each LNB] to the one feed for the receiver).

korsjs said:
just curious, what are you using the 4700 for?

Just as a third receiver. I should have had it installed under the promotional "4-rooms free" installation, but didn't think I needed a third room at that time.

update

Just an update on my additional receiver installation...

I got the SW21 switch and got the dish set up to receive both the 110 and 119 satellites. Dish Tech told me I could use the old smartcard from 1999 and they would send me a new one so that I could receive all channels. The software on the 4700 was supposed to update overnight but it didn't and I could only get 2 tech channels. I got a new tech rep and discovered that they no longer support the software for the 4700. However, since I had the dish home plan (included in my promotion), they would send me a 4900 receiver as an exchange for the 4700.

It arrived yesterday and is now activated! So Dish finally gave me what I wanted (an additional free receiver) -- I just had to work the system a little. The additional cost over my free promotional installation was $34.51 ($29.52 delivered for the switch and $4.99 activation fee). I probably could have gotten the switch cheaper, but I felt I had a better chance of getting what I wanted if I got it from Dish. And I was really happy I didn't have to buy a new smart card!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts