The ice storm cometh

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Started freezing rain here Friday evening and lasted all day yesterday, then changed to icy snow through the night. Trees snapping all over, power was out about 4 hours yesterday and must have flickered during the night as clocks were flashing this morning. I finally got a generator last summer so that made things much nicer than the January 1998 ice storm when we without power for 10 days. I should get off my butt and take some pictures.

And I did.

Attachments

• ice storm 13 2013-12-22 005.JPG
    ice storm 13 2013-12-22 005.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ice storm 13 2013-12-22 004.JPG
    ice storm 13 2013-12-22 004.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ice storm 13 2013-12-22 002.JPG
    ice storm 13 2013-12-22 002.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 78
  • ice storm 13 2013-12-22 003.JPG
    ice storm 13 2013-12-22 003.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Power finally dumped here about 12:30 am,got tired of looking at the candle around 3 or 4,went out ,dumped some gas in the generator,started on the second pull.Router was working again so played with the netbook,mostly updates,don't use it much anymore.Went out around 8 to try to start moving the 3" of sleet,on top of the ice.Had enough of that by 2:30 went over got some more gas,came home and now I'm getting gassed,can you say bourbon .:D

Still on generator at our studios. Got backup internet plan for when Charter Cable goes out. Power company says restoration will be Christmas night, 11:30. But, like "Scotty" on Star Trek, they tend to over-estimate. Hoping for a sooner restoration, but our LP gas company is keeping us stocked....and, if it runs into Christmas, I can see us having a "friends without power" Christmas party. We shall see

Yesterday in my neck of the woods we had a 4 hour power outage. Toronto still has about 200,000 powerless. Most of the damage was trees and limbs falling across overhead power lines. Temps are falling today. Most should be back online late tomorrow. Must say though it is quite picturesque with everything covered in ice.

Tongue in cheek comment follows: Power out in May 2005 -- new lines run in September 2013 -- might get power to property sometime in 2014. End of tongue biting.

I really do hope you are all safe and that you were all prepared. Not having back-up plans is scary. Not having the back-up supplies is scarier! My back-up plan, right now, is to replace one of my failed generators... The expense of that meant I got 3 new portable propane heaters to at least keep us warm!
Not having trees that can come down on us was not part of the plan - but it is a comfort that we do not have that worry. We had enough food for last years 19 day ice storm, and one neighbor took his big tractor out for another neighbor's emergency needs.

No ice here but 25 to 30 MPH winds. Business as usual.

Still about 200,000 without power in the Toronto area and temp is at 12[SUP]0[/SUP]F.
Won't be much of a Christmas for them. Some will not get back on the grid until the weekend!

Yesterday in my neck of the woods we had a 4 hour power outage. Toronto still has about 200,000 powerless. Most of the damage was trees and limbs falling across overhead power lines. Temps are falling today. Most should be back online late tomorrow. Must say though it is quite picturesque with everything covered in ice.

I was out for 2 full days. I live in town, on a major route. The Tim Hortons on the highway exit about a half mile from me was consistently lined up out the door.

Oh, My! All these bad reports from the ice storm. Even with a generator, I am very thankful it missed my location. My Christmas eve wish is the temperature goes up enough to melt it all away where it hit and the power crews can get the power back ASAP. Having built power lines for 10 years, I know what a difficult job it is to put all that stuff back in place. The work is bad enough. The question from powerless persons on why is it taking so long makes it even worse. It is a hard job.
Merry Christmas to all!!!

Well the power just came back on, It's been out since 9am yesterday. This was the second day working for the town of Northport (Maine) cutting the many trees draped onto the road, most not passable or single lane. Some of the tree limbs on the roads nearer to the ocean had at least 2 inches of ice built up and breaking constantly. Looks like I'll be working for the town for the rest of the week, so no Christmas for me this year but I can still get all my presents delivered by morning.:D Merry Christmas everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)