The Last Straw

glenn z

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well, I finally pulled the plug. Here's what did it for me:

I have a 921. When I received L215 s/w update I was pleased to find that I was finally receiving program guide info for my OTA locals. Very happy man.

Then last month was L218 downloaded I lost my guide info for OTA locals. I was pretty pissed and called tech support. They agreed that it was a problem and would give me one month of Dish locals free until the s/w was updated.

Last night I called to cancel the locals (since the one month was over) and my guide info disappeared (pre L215 s/w). The tech support (& supervisor) insisted I was never receiving guide information for OTA prior to having Dish locals. They said it was impossible. They also said I should not have been given a free month of locals. They said the support individual last month misunderstood the problem and thought I was not receiving my OTA channels at all. WTF??? I walked them through the problem. They knew damn well what the problem was. Also, I wasn't freaking imagining my OTA guide info when L215 came through.

This finally pushed me over the edge and I cancelled right then. The 'customer retention' person kept saying "but it's only $5 a month. Why don't you just pay it?". I responded that if it's only $5 a month why don't they give it to me free so I would have the information for free as in the past.

What sucks now is Comcast can't get out for an install for two weeks. The good thing is I can still get my OTA locals and recorded DVR shows to watch so I should be o.k.

Adios Dish. Flame all you want. I just wanted to vent somewhere and this seemed like a good place to do it. :(

glenn z said:
This finally pushed me over the edge and I cancelled right then. The 'customer retention' person kept saying "but it's only $5 a month. Why don't you just pay it?". I responded that if it's only $5 a month why don't they give it to me free so I would have the information for free as in the past.

What sucks now is Comcast can't get out for an install for two weeks. The good thing is I can still get my OTA locals and recorded DVR shows to watch so I should be o.k.

Adios Dish. Flame all you want. I just wanted to vent somewhere and this seemed like a good place to do it. :(
Oops. Well, I hope they're worth the wait. Count to 10 next time, and don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Isn't it a pain to manually set timers (e.g., VCR) to record the shows you want? And then trying to remember what you recorded when "Local Program" shows up on the DVR menu?

glenn z said:
Isn't it a pain to manually set timers (e.g., VCR) to record the shows you want? And then trying to remember what you recorded when "Local Program" shows up on the DVR menu?

Yes it is a pain. I have to do this with locals on Dish because they want me to pay $5.00/mth to receive the data. However, D* gives it for free without charging customers. The data for OTA is there in the PG. Good luck with Comcast. Every provider has its flaws. I had both DBS providers and Cable and one can find various problems among them. The ultimate decision is that if you are not happy vote with your pocket because ultimately you are paying the bill, not anyone of us.

Thanks Sean. I never looked down that far on the homepage to notice the cable forums. I'll definitely check it out. I figure for $30 a month it will at least be a stop gap until D* goes to the next gen equipment.

I have a hard time believing that you would cancel E* because you do not have OTA info on every channel. I haven't had that since they came out with the 811. I just have the locals selected so that I can look on the locals and see what should be on OTA. Besides, you must be a reality junkie to have to have the info on the OTA channels because that is about all that is on the networks now. The real entertainment on OTA HD is well known on what nights and what times those shows come on. Not having the info is not a deal killer.... especially with MPEG4 around the corner.... but now that is just me!

Joe,

The problem is - let's say I record CSI one night, Law & Order & something else the next night. I then have three entries on my DVR that say "Local Program". PIA to start and see what it is every time. Plus, I was actually used to the manual process but then I mysteriously started receiving guide data (am I the only one that had this happen with L215???). Then to take the guide data away and have the CSR treat me like crap and basically tell me I am lying and never received the guide data. I guess I was having a crappy day and they pushed me over the edge. Well, I will get to test the cable waters and if I don't like what I get there I'll make the leap to D* after MPEG4. I just wanted to avoid any equipment costs with this change so cable made the logical choice.

Glenn,
No, you're not the only one to get 921 OTA guide data "by mistake" with L215. Many of us did, and then subseqently lost the data, AND the OTA's with L216, and then got the OTA's back (and guide data) with a free month of LIL's.

Now, here we are with L219, setting manual timers again for OTA stations. Yes, it's a royal pain. No, I'm not going to pay $5.99 for SD LIL's I don't want or need, just to get guide data. If they offered an option for OTA guide data for $1/mo, maybe I'd bite.

What I WILL be doing is paying rapt attention to how E* handles the MPEG4 transition. And I will also be paying rapt attention to what D* does during their MPEG4 transition. And just for kicks, I'll also be paying attention to what Time Warner is doing. At some point, I'll vote with my pocketbook and start griping about whoever it is I pick!

Brad

Brad you have my sentiments down exactly. Someone is going to have to start doing things right. I personally believe that neither D* nor E* is paying serious attention to the current crop of MPEG2 receivers (SD or HD). They half fix one thing and then mess something else up that is actually working.

As for using a DVR -- untill some gets one out that works the way that it is supposed to then my money will stay in my pocket. It will come out when MPEG4 is introduced and someone starts sending my LIL's HD signals out. That is where my money will be going!!!

As for not knowing what is on your DVR--- at least you have a copy to look at. Is it not time stamped (ie. telling you when it was recorded?) Man, if the current crop of DVR's do not even do time stamping I can see where you could go mad!!! Mad I say!!! :D

JoeSp said:
Brad you have my sentiments down exactly. Someone is going to have to start doing things right. I personally believe that neither D* nor E* is paying serious attention to the current crop of MPEG2 receivers (SD or HD). They half fix one thing and then mess something else up that is actually working.

As for using a DVR -- untill some gets one out that works the way that it is supposed to then my money will stay in my pocket. It will come out when MPEG4 is introduced and someone starts sending my LIL's HD signals out. That is where my money will be going!!!

As for not knowing what is on your DVR--- at least you have a copy to look at. Is it not time stamped (ie. telling you when it was recorded?) Man, if the current crop of DVR's do not even do time stamping I can see where you could go mad!!! Mad I say!!! :D
That's why they should let Tivo do the software for them. Tivo gets it right!

OHMIGAWD!

The man thinks that COMCAST CUSTOMER SERVICE will actually be BETTER than DISH CUSTOMER SERVICE?????????????????

I had Comcast for three years when I lived in Ontario and they had the WORST, most DISREPECTFUL , most ARROGANT customer service of ANY COMPANY with which I ever did business.

I agree, next time count to ten before shooting yourself in the foot.

The correct approach is to say you want to think things over and call back another time with a different rep in technical support until you get a reasonable discussion of your issues. Not all reps or their supervisors are created equal.

lol david, you are kinda two face there arent you? saying play the csr game till you get a good one with dish? yet right away comcast has the worst customer service? hmmmm something fishy there. The correct approach by the way is in the eye of the beholder, and make sure you are careful saying comcast, I think the proper thing is comcast in my area as all cable companies are different. I know the time warner in my area (now that they have some of their problems sorted out) is probably the best around. but that is in my area! do I enjoy dish YES. do I also enjoy my local cable co. YES I think garypen has it right in saying its just a utility company, dont fall in love with it, choose the one that suits you best, and for the OP comcast seems to be his choice!

disclaimer: in no way am I trying to put david down, just want to make sure he realizes to me his post sounds two faced

If i had SUCH a problem with what the guide said, and knew that $5 a month would fix it, i'd pay the $5. It's worth it to avoid the frustration.

$5 freaking dollars for something you seemingly need desperately. I question your sanity, good luck with comcast...

What if it was $10? Or $15? Where do you draw the line. It's just as easy to switch providers and get the information for free. Is the service at Comcast going to be as good? Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'll find out. I had Dish for 8 years and when I signed up, cable really sucked. As long as I can get HD & a DVR I'll prolly be o.k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts