The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Not a fan of his band. The leader of it looks like he can't figure out why he is there and appears very nervous.

Last night's show stunk, the best part of it for me was him explaining the technical issues they had the night before.
Yeh, Batiste was a strange choice. He is more of a jazz scholar than a "TV Band" leader. Does appear to be a fish out of water.

Yeh, Batiste was a strange choice. He is more of a jazz scholar than a "TV Band" leader. Does appear to be a fish out of water.
It worked for Branford. I could see the show being tweeked soon if it doesn't work out. I wonder how they will fit the what appears to be the Colbert Report format into the Late Show.

Why is CBS talking to Jay Leno?

OK it is a little early to start that rumor.

Last edited:
The best part of the show is the opening sequence. That technique that forces reduced focus makes it look like a miniature stop-motion set they built.

It may turn out that the written bits continue to work better than the interviews. After nine years of Colbert's alter-ego, it feels like the guests are confused by the real Steven.

I want to know why everybody is still wearing suits and ties? Steven had to in the CC gig to promote the conservative aspect, but here he needs to be more relaxed and let his guests relax, too. I think we're past the Mad Men dressed to the nines at work era.

Do people still dress in a suit and tie to go to work?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Many do. Just about every late night host does. Kimmel claims his ratings went up significantly when he srted wearing suits and ties.

The best part of the show is the opening sequence. That technique that forces reduced focus makes it look like a miniature stop-motion set they built.

It may turn out that the written bits continue to work better than the interviews. After nine years of Colbert's alter-ego, it feels like the guests are confused by the real Steven.

I want to know why everybody is still wearing suits and ties? Steven had to in the CC gig to promote the conservative aspect, but here he needs to be more relaxed and let his guests relax, too. I think we're past the Mad Men dressed to the nines at work era.

I know I don't ,but I wear a uniform every day being in security and all.

Did he leave more because he wanted to tour or was it that he could not handle the routine of the show.
Touring, and did not like the gig. Hated the "banter" Leno expected from him.

Touring, and did not like the gig. Hated the "banter" Leno expected from him.
Banter with Leno did look bad no matter who the band leader was.

So Colbert needs to loosen up with the interviews, is is way to serious. Letterman had a way to take a tough subject and inject humor. I don't know if Colbert just can't do that or isn't opening up more. He also needs to at least talk to his band leader or someone as a sidekick.

Any chance that we see Rupert anymore?

This political show will be #4 in a 3 show niche. CBS is looking to preach to its own choir. The mainstream, whatever their politics, will move on to broader discussions.

I think I have had enough of the show. I will only watch relevant highlights from it on other shows as necessary. It simply isn't my cup of tea and it certainly isn't a replacement for Letterman.

I will say the Joe Biden interview was some of the most moving television I've seen. But I can understand that what worked for Colbert on Comedy Central is falling flat on CBS. I wonder how long Moonves will keep that Big Red Switch in the "Late Show" position and not throw it back to "Mentalist"?

All depends on where you work and what place in time. Over the 29 years in my office I had a t-shirt with pictures of the great places I had visited in the USA. Then, when I went to meetings in the early years 200 people in the room had suits on. You could find about three or four that did not. I had mine on. By the end of that 29 years the only ones that had a suit on were on the stage. Time changes everything.....

After the second week the show is getting more comfortable. The Tim Cook interview went well, and the schtick of "The Hungry for Power Games" worked perfectly with the dome overhead showing the Tribute to the Fallen, with Rick Perry the Tribute from the Texas District.

This week I just watched the 3 minutes that UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon was on the show.
I guess I´ll just watch depending on who will be on his show.

I bet their ratings aren't as good as Letterman were.
They are actually better than Letterman. Still not beating Fallon.

The show is improving slowly, I just don't know if he can hold on to the Colbert Report format much longer. He needs to open up his comedy away from politics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)