The Limitations Of Satellite Rears Its Ugly Head

What kind of signals do you get without the rain? You might need a repoint. Even in the "wet" state I live in, I rarely get any drops of signal.

The weather in the ATL metro area was unuusal for sure.
The storms in the area were due to a stalled front which caused "training". This is when rain systems continue in the same places for extended periods. It happens.
Fortunately heavy rains such as that are rare.

And, of course, in emergency weather conditions it is really the most important time to be able to obtain information from your local news channels, but if signal is being lost, so much for emergency preparedness.

Western Arc here. Unfortunately I'm pretty certain I can't use Eastern Arc due to trees, there's one gap in them that the installer said my signal level was great through for the 1000.2 dish... obviously not.
In NC ...Signals for 1000.2
119.....Tp 14 70-75 tp15...78-82... tp 16 same as tp 15...tp 21....70-75
110.....tp 14. mid 70's....tp 15 lo 80s tp 16....upper 70's...tp 21....mid 70's
129....tp 17..mid 50's...tp 18 upper 50's...
These are what I achieve on every install.

Another cause could be a loose cable connection. Never hurts to grab a couple of 7/16" box wrenches and make sure all your connections are tight inside and outside.

And if the fittings ARE loose, unscrew them all the way and look to make sure the center conductor hasn't gotten corroded. If it has, you might want to change the fittings.

Well its clear and this is what I am getting.

110 TP14 Low 70s
110 TP15 Upper 60s
110 TP16 Low 70s
110 TP21 Low 70s
119 TP14 Upper 40s
119 TP15 Upper 40s
119 TP16 Upper 40s
119 TP21 Upper 40s
129 TP17 Low 50s
129 TP18 Upper 40s

Marietta, GA

also dont forget the ham radio repeaters you all can monitor in ATL. I am sure ARES and skywarn is active there so you can actually hear reports from the NWS in peachtree city

The internet went out too so yesterday I was totally in the dark. First thing I did when I got the internet back was order one of those hand crank/solar powered radio/flashlight and even cell phone charger combos.

Well its clear and this is what I am getting.

110 TP14 Low 70s
110 TP15 Upper 60s
110 TP16 Low 70s
110 TP21 Low 70s
119 TP14 Upper 40s
119 TP15 Upper 40s
119 TP16 Upper 40s
119 TP21 Upper 40s
129 TP17 Low 50s
129 TP18 Upper 40s

Marietta, GA

The 119's are all well below accpetable minimums..You have an alignment problem.

In NC ...Signals for 1000.2
119.....Tp 14 70-75 tp15...78-82... tp 16 same as tp 15...tp 21....70-75
110.....tp 14. mid 70's....tp 15 lo 80s tp 16....upper 70's...tp 21....mid 70's
129....tp 17..mid 50's...tp 18 upper 50's...
These are what I achieve on every install.

That is about what I see in upper midwest. Dish support says my signal is "very good". I still lose signal almost every time it rains. Dish support says that is "to be expected". At least the rain fades are usually brief. Before I got Dish, it seemed I had just as much trouble with Comcast, but the outages were much longer. While it can be very annoying when it happens at the climax of a show or during a key play in the game, it still beats the alternative!

Last edited:
50 and above on signal strength is acceptable signals to get on any sat with DISH. IF you don't get at least 50 on a dish 1000.2 sat dish you definitely have a sat dish alignment problem.

The 119's are all well below accpetable minimums..You have an alignment problem.

Maybe elevation is just a hair to high - just a hair and another "hair" to the west. Seriously, a very small movement in the right direction can be made that will make a large difference in 129 and only a small difference in 110, but in your case it will also bring 119 into perspective - it can't help to, its in between the two.

Get mid 60's and you'll have no problems and some headroom. Get 60 at least. 50's AREN'T good enough. The people who aren't complaining have signal mid 60's and above.

They will be here today. Since I have DHPP its free unless they have to move the dish.

I had the initial install from hell. Started with the installer telling me English was his 3rd language. This house had Dish with the previous owner, the dish was installed up by the roof, second floor trim pointing SE. I was switching from Comcast. I do have tall trees in the back yard in that direction. The installer took the dish that was way up high down and puts a new one on the side of the house at eye level. And he ran cables EVERYWHERE. Took 6 hours and he could not get it to work, had to call for someone else to come and help. I told this to the CSR yesterday and he was like, sorry, I bet it was frustrating. Whatever.

I live in Doraville,Ga and ours did go out for a little monday. I am not sure about Sunday since I work and go to church afterward so I dont get home to late in the evening

Tech is here now. The 129 LNB was just sitting in the holder, there was no screw. He is going to put in a 1000.2, but he was like, wow you are lucky to be getting 129 at all.

Eastern Arc more suseptable to rain fade?

I bet your on a Eastern Arc Dish...

I get knocked out from our afternoon showers..

Its not that bad...out of service for short time..

Scott,

Why would you say eastern arc? Would that mean it would go out more if your
aimed at that sat?

I live in South Florida..I assume Im using that sat as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts