The longest uplink (HD RSNs): Scott, can you rattle some cages?

Airblair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm not a demanding person. I enjoy my HDTV and Dish Network, but I usually don't get too worked up about which channels are available and which ones aren't. I have a job, evening classes, two DVRs, two kids, and an external HDD, which means that I have plenty of recorded material and no time to watch it already.

But hearing that NESN-HD is uplinked is too much. The HD version of my RSN, FSN Bay Area, has been uplinked since September of 2006.

I guess the other ones still not made available from that date include MSG, FOXNY, and FOXNE (since renamed to CSNNE?).

We've already missed Barry Bonds' home run chase; the Warriors' and Sharks' seasons are almost over; there won't be any meaningful college sports until September; and the Giants and A's won't be playing any meaningful games after around June 1, they both will suck so bad.

So my questions to Scott, or anybody who can help:

1) are those four channels the record-holders for the longest uplinked but not made available?

2) Can someone see why they're still not available?

3) Can we get an ETA as to when they'll be available? Frankly, I'd settle for a made-up date. Any information would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

I am sorry, I am not Casey Kasem and do not keep stats of the charts, so I can not answer those questions.

But please remember that because something is "uplinked" does not mean that the channel is actually being sent to the satellite.

The uplinks we report here are actually just table enteries made to the datastream. Your satellite receiver reads this datasteam to know where everything is. Its like a table of contents for satellite receivers. For our uplink reports we are reporting the changes and additions made to the "table of contents".

While uplink reports are normally a good sign that a channel or service is coming, there have been times in the past where channels have been uplinked (such as YES Network) which were never made available to customers and were removed from the uplink at a later time.

I am sorry, I am not Casey Kasem and do not keep stats of the charts, so I can not answer those questions.

But please remember that because something is "uplinked" does not mean that the channel is actually being sent to the satellite.

The uplinks we report here are actually just table enteries made to the datastream. Your satellite receiver reads this datasteam to know where everything is. Its like a table of contents for satellite receivers. For our uplink reports we are reporting the changes and additions made to the "table of contents".

While uplink reports are normally a good sign that a channel or service is coming, there have been times in the past where channels have been uplinked (such as YES Network) which were never made available to customers and were removed from the uplink at a later time.

I guess we just want to know what you've heard in regards to those channels. We all know that even when a channel is uplinked that doesn't mean it will be available.

Ya, ocasionally I am content with the fact that the NY Metro area only recieves 1 out of our 4 RSNs in HD (one we dont get at all), but seeing NESN up now along with the others months ago, is getting very frustrating.

Out of the 7 NY Metro teams (Rangers, Knicks, Devils, Islanders, Yankees, and Nets) that are not NFL, only one is shown in HD (Mets). Of course Nets and Yankees are not offered at all.

FSN Bay Area HD

I've asked Dish Network the same question, and also told them that when my current contract expires (Agust 2008) and if there still is no FSNBA HD, I will go with Direct TV. I'd like to get more HD channels like anyone else, but if anyone were to ask me if I could only get one more for now, my only choice would be FSNBA HD. I'm getting tired of waiting. :mad:

Scott, thanks for the quick response.

Please rest assured that question #1 was tongue-in-cheek.

And I know that an uplink doesn't mean that the channel is definitely coming. I remember the YES Network incident; I was glad that E* decided not to line George Steinbrenner's pockets at my expense.

It's just that . . . uplinks have to mean something, right? That contracts are close to being signed, or technical issues are being sorted out, etc. Every channel's situation is different, but I would assume Dish just doesn't uplink channels randomly--i.e. there must be some reason these have been up for 18 months but we still haven't seen them.

I'm just hoping to get some more information about these HD RSNs from you, or anyone else who might know something. Knowing that they're uplinked, but we still haven't seen them . . . well, pardon my coarseness, but the word it brings to mind is "blueballs". Please don't make me explain that.

They said on the Charlie chat (Oct?) that they would have FSNBA up by the end of the year. So which year?

S~

I hear you guys os FSNBA HD! It's very frustrating and ongoing requests to Dish Network regarding availability just keep spitting back canned responses. Maybe the name change on 03/31/08 to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area will be a catalyst? Not likely but that's the same day the Giants open up the regular season so who knows?

Actually the way the RSN's work almost none of them truly exist. They put a game up on one of the HDSKD channels then point the RSN to it, when the game is done they point the channel back to the slate.

Actually the way the RSN's work almost none of them truly exist. They put a game up on one of the HDSKD channels then point the RSN to it, when the game is done they point the channel back to the slate.

so technically NESN HD could be had for the bruins game tomorrow night? (wishful thinking.. :D)

This is from HighDefForum, early March answer to an email. "We are currently working with Dish to add our HD channel. I unfortunately do not have a specific date on when it will happen, but expect it to be in the near future." Could "Near future" mean "Soon"?

That's all we ask for, the games in HD. Besides football (Niners and Raiders), we have 4 professional teams in the Bay Area and all of their games are in HD. The bandwith is there, FSN tells us that the ball is on Dish Network's court so we know it's Dish Network.

On the off-chance that anyone at Dish reads this thread ... make no mistake about it -- RSN's in HD is the Killer App of Satellite TV. If/when Direct starts carrying Santa Cruz HD locals before Dish starts carrying FSNBA HD, I will immediately leave Dish -- with whom I've subscribed for ten years -- and switch to Direct. Getting FSNBA in HD should be a #1 priority for anyone at Dish concerned with customer defections.

Randall,

What do you mean by all of the games are in HD for the four non-football professional teams? FSNBA is currently advertising that they're covering 136 Giants games this season with 60 in HD. None of the four teams have all of their games in HD. It's more like 1/3 to 1/2 of the games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)