The microHD & wifi router don't mix!

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
So I figured I would tiddy things back up now that the microHD was working good. I took the old trusty Fortec out and put it in the closet. Straightened my wires and put everything up like it was supposed to be. I pulled up a channel and it was nothing but dropouts. I went to another satellite. Same thing! Uuhh...Houston we have a problem. I hooked up the Fortec again and no dropouts. Now I really had a problem. I traced everything down to figure out this intermittent issue. I almost ran another cable into the blistering hot attic! After looking at everything over and over I finally figured it out. My wifi router(used as access point on my second VLAN) was killing the signal. Everytime I plugged the wifi back in, the signal went crazy. I ended up having to move the wifi AP about 12 inches from the microHD and everything was fine again. So to be safe I moved thing over to the opposite side of the TV.

I never had this issue with the several receivers except for the micro. I even have the wifi router still sitting on top of my DirecTV H24 DVR still. I'm guessing this is probably due to shielding in the other receivers or them being in metal cases and not a plastic one like the micro.

So if you are having issues with erratic signal, start checking for some sort of interference. It sure drove me nuts for an hour or so.

Attachments

• 2012-07-07 13.16.38.jpg
    2012-07-07 13.16.38.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 2012-07-07 13.16.53.jpg
    2012-07-07 13.16.53.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 208
I have my microHD sitting on a shelf right on top of my Sony Bluray player which is RIGHT under my cable modem, various powered external usb drives, and my Dlink DIR-655 (set for G and N mixed) wireless router, those are all only about 6 inches above. I have had no apparent issues with the microHD acting erratically due to the signal swamping the receiver.

Why don't you test further, by building a grounded Faraday cage around the microHD?

Better yet, build one around your router case, before you microwave yourself into a french-fry! lol

It is a high powered Ubiquiti router. Think it is 600mw. Residential routers are usually 30-50 if you are lucky.

No need to test further. I can reproduce the issue every time by putting the micro next to the router.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Are your Satellite cables grounded? I had that problem with the mercury II before I grounded my cables close to the receiver -- my mercury II plug was on an inverter that would not tolerate a 3 wire grounded cord on another (much older and factory miss-wired) piece of EQ. The micro does not have a power line ground, so must get the RF ground by a ground wire or the cables.

{I had to install an isolation transformer on the older EQ. to make it safer. I have now replaced it.}

Are your Satellite cables grounded? I had that problem with the mercury II before I grounded my cables close to the receiver -- my mercury II plug was on an inverter that would not tolerate a 3 wire grounded cord on another (much older and factory miss-wired) piece of EQ. The micro does not have a power line ground, so must get the RF ground by a ground wire or the cables.

Yep. 4 lines come from the fta pole to the house to a 4 lead ground block connected to the earth ground.

My other FTA receivers have 2 lead wires too but they are metal casings which ended up being grounded from the coax. So they are little ferriday cages and work great at blocking 2.4 GHz.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts