"The Minnesota Channel" comes to PBS (subchannel)

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Minnesota finally gets a statewide PBS channel. Right now each area has its own PBS with different schedules. But through subchannels, now there is a statewide option

Minnesota's first statewide TV network is now a reality. The "Minnesota Channel," produced by Twin Cities Public Television, is now seen on these digital subchannels:

KWCM-DT3 Appleton

KSMQ-DT4 Austin

KAWE-DT6 Bemidji

KAWB-DT6 Brainerd

KCGE-DT3 Crookston

WDSE-DT4 Duluth

KFME-DT3 Fargo, ND

KTCI-DT2 St. Paul

KSMN-DT3 Worthington
The "Minnesota Channel" carries programming about Minnesota and its neighboring states. It will also carry live coverage of the Minnesota legislature. All of Minnesota's bordering states have had statewide public television networks for years, but Minnesota has not had one until now.

I wonder what is on KSMQ-DT3??

edit: nothing. Per the KSMQ site (ksmq.org) they show DT1, 2 4

DT1 is the same as analog
DT2 looks like some teaching thing
DT4 is MN channel

Imagine my surprise when I subscribed to HD service only to realize that PBS was not in the local channels offering by Dish.
I looped my antenna through my DVR and now I get all of the TPT stations and programming guides on the guide in my DVR.
I live in Minneapolis so the signal strength is pretty darn good.
I love the increased programming you get with HD.

Mike

You're lucky because California only has a C-Span type statewide network ("The California Channel") and all you get out of that is our feuding state legisltors or our "Governator" Arnold. I wish Calif PBS outlets would do what your state and so many others have done.

I wonder what is on KSMQ-DT3??

edit: nothing. Per the KSMQ site (ksmq.org) they show DT1, 2 4

DT1 is the same as analog
DT2 looks like some teaching thing
DT4 is MN channel

It's there, but my HD USB stick doesn't list out the channels but rather three KSMQ channels. My STB is due to arrive this week from the repair shop. If it shows a 15.4, I may call KSMQ and see if they are planning to put anything on a 15.3 channel or at least find out why it's listed at 15.4. We now get 11 OTA digital channels.

You're lucky because California only has a C-Span type statewide network ("The California Channel") and all you get out of that is our feuding state legisltors or our "Governator" Arnold. I wish Calif PBS outlets would do what your state and so many others have done.

what makes this different is some states the main channel is the state run channel. Iowa, Georgia, Mississippi & Nebraska are a few states where basically its one PBS station and a bunch of translators across the state to get the signal across. This is a subchannel

I live in Minneapolis so the signal strength is pretty darn good.
I love the increased programming you get with HD.

Mike
I'm happy too. I have a outdoor antenna but last night for fun I took the UHF antenna from my 811 (for remote distance) and hooked it up to the antenna in and could get almost all the Mpls channels. I couldnt get 17 or 41 but the rest came in :)

We now get 11 OTA digital channels.

you'll be getting a 12th soon. Fox 47 is adding RTN (Retro TV Network)

Quincy Newspapers, Inc., has signed up to carry Equity Media's "Retro Television Network" brand on digital subchannels of all but one of its TV stations. The stations are KTIV (Sioux City, IA), KWWL (Waterloo, IA), KXLT (Rochester, MN), WQOW (Eau Claire, WI), WXOW (La Crosse, WI), WKOW (Madison, WI), WYOW (Rhinelander, WI), WAOW (Wausau, WI), WREX (Rockford, IL), WSJV (South Bend, IN), and WVVA (Bluefield, WV). No launch date was given. QNI flagship WGEM (Quincy, IL) will not carry RTN, presumably because it already has two subchannels. It's not clear what this announcement means for Equity's KWWF/22 (Waterloo), which was one of the original RTN stations; adding coverage on KWWL-DT would expand the station's coverage area.

you'll be getting a 12th soon. Fox 47 is adding RTN (Retro TV Network)

Did I ever tell you how much I love you? :haha

I got my HD receiver today and hooked it back up and it was indeed 15.4. So I called KSMQ and the lady I spoke with said they will be adding 15.3 shortly, but their main goal was to get the Minnesota Channel up and running first. She also mentioned more channels will be coming from the other stations, so I wonder if she wasn't already aware of KXLT planning to carry RTN (they share the same broadcast tower).

I'm excited for RTN, but I wonder if 10.2 (CW) now broadcasts the WWE in HD on Fridays. Haven't had a opportunity to check, but plan to this week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts