The Mnt. on Dish Network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nwoidaho

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Boise, Idaho
DISH Network has refused to carry the MountainWest Sports Network, the network supplied by Boise State University's new conference.

In Boise, only one service, CableOne, actually has all three channels Boise State's Football games will be broadcast on this year. CBS College Sports Channel and The Mnt. have been a big issue as CableOne and DirecTV have carried the The Mnt. since it's infancy while Dish Network hasn't budged or even been interested in carrying the Mountain West Conferences in-house channel. CableOne just added CBS College Sports as of August 1st to part of their premium digital tier.

CableOne's premium digital tier is roughly $11 more expensive then AT250+ Sports Pack.

Mountain West Conference Official Athletic Site

DISH Network has refused to carry the MountainWest Sports Network, the network supplied by Boise State University's new conference.

In Boise, only one service, CableOne, actually has all three channels Boise State's Football games will be broadcast on this year. CBS College Sports Channel and The Mnt. have been a big issue as CableOne and DirecTV have carried the The Mnt. since it's infancy while Dish Network hasn't budged or even been interested in carrying the Mountain West Conferences in-house channel. CableOne just added CBS College Sports as of August 1st to part of their premium digital tier.

CableOne's premium digital tier is roughly $11 more expensive then AT250+ Sports Pack.

Mountain West Conference Official Athletic Site

yeah, so?

Honestly if you want the Mtn you'd probably have to come to Directv. They carry it in SD and the games right now the football games in HD.

As its well known, Dish is too cheap when it comes to sports channels.
-They dropped RSN's
-They dont carry YES
-They dont carry the Mtn
-and HD sports...well we all know how thats going ;)

yeah, so?

That means in Boise State's HOME Market, only HALF of the Boise State's Football games will be available in HD on the CableOne's service. It's light years better then what the local affiliate or Learfield Sports could produce but the options for people on the lower end of the programming budget are going to take some serious issue without being able to find Boise State's Football games in a lower-tier programming package.

People all over Idaho are pissed off about this situation. When the consumer looks towards a national company like Dish to cover their Basic TV, Sports and Entertainment needs.. and can't even find the channels they want available as part of the service, It's frustrating. In a lot of markets outside of Boise and Idaho, channels like Versus and CBS College Sports are extended basic service, not an a-la-carte services.

I don't get it. Don't subscribe to Dish Network. That is the services they offer, you don't like it, get Direct TV or CableOne..... maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say?
You said Cable One's package is $11 more, maybe that's why Dish won't carry it MNT? They can't pass that cost on to you without changing your specific package to a higher price. Your local cable can charge (and do) whatever they want. Dish can't start doing that for each and every area, and I'm sure MNT won't let them sell it A La Carte. The only thing Dish could do is pass that cost to everyone, the exact reason they will not carry the NY sports channels. I know I don't want to pay anymore for other's expensive sports channels.
Keep in mind, the price structure was set up with one or two local sports channels for an area. Your area like many others now have three or more, and all want premium prices, but insist on being carried in the regular packages. I think those days are about over. Dish is just a ahead of the game, taking a stance. If Direct has your sports channels, that's who I would go to if they were important to me.

Last edited:
In the case of college sports local companies are often more responsive to your needs than national ones. Iceberg did make a nice suggestion though in advising DirecTv in your situation.

I don't get it. Don't subscribe to Dish Network. That is the services they offer, you don't like it, get Direct TV or CableOne..... maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say?
I think his issue is Boise State (much like other teams) moved conferences this year. So what about the customer who signed up in a 2 year agreement in say Feb last year and in June Boise says they're moving to the Mtn West. So now the customer can't get the games because Dish doesnt carry it. Throw in the fact he has 7-8 months left of a contract and I'd be pissed too

The Mtn is in the sports package on Directv by the way.

You said Cable One's package is $11 more, maybe that's why Dish won't carry it MNT? They can't pass that cost on to you without changing your specific package to a higher price.
why not put it in the sports package?

Keep in mind, the price structure was set up with one or two local sports channels for an area. Your area like many others now have three or more, and all want premium prices, but insist on being carried in the regular packages. I think those days are about over. Dish is just a ahead of the game, taking a stance. If Direct has your sports channels, that's who I would go to if they were important to me.
That makes no sense at all. Dish dropping channels sure isnt taking a stance. Its called screwing with the customers by dropping channels then locking them into a contract with no way out. It would be like having a Sprint phone because it works great in your town. Sprint then pulls all towers in your town resulting in very limited service and says "sorry. You're still in a contract"

I don't totally disagree, and have posted before Dish should have a "no questions asked" clause that lets you out of the contract if that happens. I don't think Dish can put it in the sports package without also carrying it as part of the regular packages in the market it covers. I'm Dish would if they could, just as they would do A La Carte tomorrow for every RSN.

Interesting....the D* site lists it as only in sports package...even when you run a zip on the RSN finder it doesnt show it
The mtn website says different
he Mtn. is widely available on DIRECTV's CHOICE, and above packages to subscribers in cities and states servicing Mountain West Conference institutions: Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming plus the markets of Dallas/Fort Worth and San Diego. Additional DIRECTV CHOICE package availability includes:

Albuquerque-Santa Fe service area in the state of Arizona
Cheyenne-Scottsbluff service area in the state of Nebraska
Denver service area in the states of Nebraska and South Dakota
Rapid City service area in the states of Montana, Nebraska, and South Dakota
Salt Lake City service area in the state of Idaho

But Dish singed a deal with Big 10 to do it that way. If you are in a Big 10 state (Philly area in PA and Nebraska excluded) its in AT120+ as a RSN. Everyone else its a sportpack option

Sports fans should go with Direct and the rest of us should pay less with Dish, cause the RSNs are not cheap. I wish Dish would drop ESPN and lower my bill $3.50 per month.

Sports fans should go with Direct and the rest of us should pay less with Dish, cause the RSNs are not cheap. I wish Dish would drop ESPN and lower my bill $3.50 per month.

boy there is a nice broad stroke of everyone. But I thought it was "want sports go with Directv. Want movies come to Dish"
"Pay less with Dish?"....hmmm interesting. I pay way less with D* than I would with E*..and get the programing I want :)
ESPN isnt a RSN. Its a basic channel

Interesting....the D* site lists it as only in sports package...even when you run a zip on the RSN finder it doesnt show it
The mtn website says different

But Dish singed a deal with Big 10 to do it that way. If you are in a Big 10 state (Philly area in PA and Nebraska excluded) its in AT120+ as a RSN. Everyone else its a sportpack option

I knew Dish signed that way, didn't know Direct offered it only in the sports package. Interesting.....

Tampa
Big10 is available to everyone with Directv (as long as you have Choice which is the basic package)
Dish its part of your RSN in the Big10 areas (Nebraska exempt right now)...the rest its on sports pack

The Mtn on Directv is included in the package in the states posted in the article I quoted. Everyone else its sports pack.
So if I live in Wyoming as example I get Root RM (formerly FSN RM), Altitude, Big10 AND the Mtn in my basic pack

I hate to repeatedly bring this up, but if the NYC sports fans are blacked out on Dish, the the rest of us are obviously open to have our teams be taken away. Mid-west and Southern college sports, that could compete with any big market pro team (fan base wise) aren't a high priority to Dish. As someone else saif, switch to cable are Direct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)