The "New" DirecTV HD DVR coming out soon!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbos said:
Why do you hate it ?
Because it's not a TIVO or because you have not become comfortable with it or don't like the software ?

Curios, just want your opinion.

Jimbo
I will say up front that I've had Tivo (both stand-alone and D*) for about 3 years. But I haven't really found much at all that I like about the R-15. I don't like the look of the interface, I don't like the navigation, etc. Since the receiver is in our bedroom, we don't really use it to tape anything - more to pause or rewind once in a while. But the couple times I have taped things I have downright hated the navigation, and even playback of recorded programs.

Maybe I'm just biased... :D

FlyingJ said:
I'm not upgrading to HD until then. I'm not buying a HD TV until then as
the HD TV's won't have HDMI V1.3 until Spring of 07. I'm not buying a
Blu-Ray Disc player until then as those won't be upgraded with HDMI V.1.3
until Spring of 07. And I won't get my AT9 Dish until next year as well.

Like all of the rest of you, I really got excited about all of new technology
and wanted to upgrade. But I'm glad I've waited and will wait until next
year. Enough of this hand-wringing about D* and the equipment.

Wait it out.

Agree it just depends on what you want. I got and HDTV (component only, no DVI or HDMI) about 4 years ago when the only HD channel I could get was HDNet. In the meantime I've enjoyed 4 Superbowls in HD, lots of HD sports in the past 2 years and just about every prime time show in HD now. It's kind of like buying or upgrading a computer. If you keep waiting for the "latest and greatest" you'll be waiting forever. :D

FlyingJ said:
Ohhh Podman, hey to each his own but...I sure have enjoyed the last year and a half of the NFL, College Football, etc...in HD on my 108" screen in the den with the kids! As they say..."Priceless"!

Same Here I have Enjoyed watching TV in HD for a couple of years now. Why Wait for new tech if that is the case you'll always be waiting :D

bonscott87 said:
Agree it just depends on what you want. I got and HDTV (component only, no DVI or HDMI) about 4 years ago when the only HD channel I could get was HDNet. In the meantime I've enjoyed 4 Superbowls in HD, lots of HD sports in the past 2 years and just about every prime time show in HD now. It's kind of like buying or upgrading a computer. If you keep waiting for the "latest and greatest" you'll be waiting forever. :D

Isn't that the truth. My 4 year old Mitsubishi HDTV was top of the line when I bought it, but is component only. But we also have enjoyed the past 4 years of HD programing. Especially like HDNet and hockey games in HD. The problem is the big original investment makes it hard to replace, but it would be nice to have the newer DVI or HDMI inputs for a little better picture quality.

lou_do said:
Isn't that the truth. My 4 year old Mitsubishi HDTV was top of the line when I bought it, but is component only. But we also have enjoyed the past 4 years of HD programing. Especially like HDNet and hockey games in HD. The problem is the big original investment makes it hard to replace, but it would be nice to have the newer DVI or HDMI inputs for a little better picture quality.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you...
I have enjoyed my 60' XBR RP watching mainly sports and HD prime time shows..
Before I got the HD set, I NEVER watched network TV, now I have 3-4 shows I watch on a regular basis.
I will probably start looking for a new TV late next year., I will let the technology introduce the latest and greatest then look them over closely and see what I like best, I see a lot of these TV's are now coming out with over 2 million pixels, can't imagine what another year of so will bring.

The MPEG4 format had better be figured out entirely by then......
It will be awesome to watch the Red Wings in HD this year

Jimbo

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but it sure seems that this MPEG4 has been "coming soon" for quite some time! I remember when I had my Voom that this technology was all everyone was talking about (and we all know what happened to Voom). I am very skeptical, now, to all these claims of MPEG4 "coming soon"

Ill believe it when I see it!

blitzpb said:
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but it sure seems that this MPEG4 has been "coming soon" for quite some time! I remember when I had my Voom that this technology was all everyone was talking about (and we all know what happened to Voom). I am very skeptical, now, to all these claims of MPEG4 "coming soon"

Ill believe it when I see it!

It is here and has been for a while. D* uses it for all its HD locals and some RSN games, to local markets. E* is also using it but not sure in what capacity.

ericlhyman said:
One of the avsforum posts said it is now going to be "late fall" for the HR20-250.

I have seen rumors and heard of responses from CSRs of from the end of August, to the end of the year. When I ordered my new H10-250 the other day, I was told "SOON", for what that is worth. Guess SOON covers from now till the end of the year anyway.

In February I jumped from D* after 7 years to Dish for the HD. I'll definitely jump back if the HD comes and if the HR20 gets the bugs worked out. I had two HR10-250's and loved them. When DirecTV replaced a dead dsr7000 with the R15 that was the end. I office spaced it. Here's to hoping the hr20 is 100x better!

is there any method of using an H20 and having it burn to DVD or a stand-alone tivo? I guess you could do this, but no HD right?

Sure... there is nothing stoping you from using the 480i (or possible the 480p) signal from the H20 to a DVD Recorder...
Or the 480i to an stand-alone Tivo (a lot of people already do this)

Or are you refering to the HR20, which the above two should still be true.

I feed video from my H10 and my HTL-HD receivers, to the analog input of my computer. Edited it, add menus to it and burn it to DVDs. (Just another thing you can do with it).

I have also fed it directly into my tabletop DVD burner, but like to do the computer thing better, as I can make custom menus, and they can be played on a large variety of DVD players.

Won't truly be DVD quality since you're doing an analog capture/encode.

Are we allowed to discuss Tivo hacking here? I get my forums confused.

cheer said:
Won't truly be DVD quality since you're doing an analog capture/encode.

Are we allowed to discuss Tivo hacking here? I get my forums confused.

I think he was asking about recording the SD signal output (A/V or S Video connections). There are not any consumer HD burners out there that I know of. It would be the same thing as sending your A/V outputs to a VCR, except you would be sending it to a DVD burner. It wouldn't be hacking anything.

I didn't say it would. I was implying that there's another (better quality) alternative but I wasn't sure if we're allowed to discuss it.

cheer said:
I didn't say it would. I was implying that there's another (better quality) alternative but I wasn't sure if we're allowed to discuss it.

OK, got you now. Misunderstood your statement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts