The NEXT HURDLE - 3/31/05

Even if Voom passes the March 31 hurdle there is still a much higher hurdle to get over...the mass exodus of employees. The customer care and sales unit is not a problem, they are staffed by a third party. The main operation in NY however is a problem. All of the employees recieved notice of termination at the beginning of the month. It only makes sense that most of them are looking for other positions both inside and outside of Cablevision. Any responsible adult, no matter how much they love the product, has to earn a paycheck. Any of us would do the same in this situation.

Voom has great potential, but its hard to ignore the press when you have a family.

mdonnelly said:
Facts are facts. The March 31st deadline is a fact. Ignoring VOOM's precarious future won't make it better. People who visit here have the right to make up their own minds, based on all the information that's available.

Skepticism serves a valid purpose on this forum. It makes us expand our thought process to see the side of an issue that we'd rather not see.
I would agree with this: but for the fact:: Voom is a HD service first and an SD service second, so the choice should be made on that fact, and no other, don't you agree:I told a fibby, I have to have SCIFI

kelljc said:
Voom is a HD service first and an SD service second,
And that's the biggest anchor around the service's neck, so to speak. There are those who would only watch HD and would never tune to a SD channel, but just like on E* and D* every missing SD channel represents a channel that some viewer MUST HAVE (like your craving for SciFi). The more missing channels your service has the more likely a customer will be lost or will feel the desire to have a second program service. When a customer must pay for a second service to get their channels it raises the total price they are paying - possibly beyond their pain threshold.

Voom needs a good way of getting SD to customers cheaply. Either that or abandon SD altogether and get to a price point where their HD offering as an add on to whatever else the customer has doesn't break the pain threshold. Of course, in either case Voom still needs to get the revenues needed to stay in business. "Cheap HD only" isn't a good revenue generator. "Enough SD to make people happy" is the only other way to survive.

JL

mdonnelly said:
Skepticism serves a valid purpose on this forum. It makes us expand our thought process to see the side of an issue that we'd rather not see.

You have been so wrong every time you don't give anyone reason to believe your impression of the fact. I think everyone knows what the possibilities are on or after March 31st. What you fail to realize that the desire for VOOM to continue is to succeed. Don't need somebody always yelling in our ears "The sky is falling." We know that possibility from the last two months. And yes, even those that are strongly VOOM know what can be a reality. We're not in a fog, you have been for not seeing the possibilities. Possibilities that have changed was you have said for two months that VOOM would be done. So far, you are wrong and they are right. Not saying that you will be wrong the next time but I would be careful about putting your reputation on the line again so firmly. :cool:

gutter said:
You have been so wrong every time you don't give anyone reason to believe your impression of the fact. I think everyone knows what the possibilities are on or after March 31st. What you fail to realize that the desire for VOOM to continue is to succeed. Don't need somebody always yelling in our ears "The sky is falling." We know that possibility from the last two months. And yes, even those that are strongly VOOM know what can be a reality. We're not in a fog, you have been for not seeing the possibilities. Possibilities that have changed was you have said for two months that VOOM would be done. So far, you are wrong and they are right. Not saying that you will be wrong the next time but I would be careful about putting your reputation on the line again so firmly. :cool:
There are no impressions of facts. You and I may extrapolate different futures from the same fact, but the fact doesn't change based on your viewpoint. Don't get me wrong. I hope that VOOM can succeed as a DBS. I just doubt that it will. And I'll try to make it plain that when I have an opinion, it's presented as an opinion. When I state a fact, I'll make sure it's a fact. Hold my feet to the fire when I don't (actually, I can't remember ever deviating from those principles). Everyone should do the same, and there'll be much less name calling around the VOOM forums. :)

Just a few observations:

1. Voom is still alive
2. Voom is still selling their services, and their web site is active

Those observations by themseleves are positive, everything else is unknown

jeslevine said:
Just a few observations:

1. Voom is still alive
2. Voom is still selling their services, and their web site is active
solardee said:
3. More channels are being added.
jeslevine said:
Those observations by themselves are positive, everything else is unknown
Yes. Everything beyond March 31st (less than 3 weeks away) is unknown. Enjoy it while you can.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)