The Next Wave of Directv HD Locals List

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have this information on a reliable source.

The following markets are scheduled to launch in April 2006:

Seattle, Minneapolis, Miami, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Diego, Charlotte, Hartford, Nashville, West Palm Beach & Birmingham.

The following markets are scheduled to launch in May 2006:

Phoenix, Cleveland, Denver, Orlando, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Raleigh - Durham, Kansas City, Columbus (OH), Milwaukee, Salt Lake City & Fresno.

AWESOME. Thanks for the heads up! Nice to see Hartford treated with some respect. Any ideas on Cincinnati? My brother needs the locals over sat badly.

Wow. That's mighty agressive. But April is a little later than E*'s stated release of HD locals: March 13th. I'd had thought D* might push up their roll out dates after hearing of Echostar's plans to deliver mid-March.

It may have to do with market penetration. Dish is way behind Direc here b/c Direc had locals years before Dish. I'd imagine Direc doesn't want to relinquish advantage in markets where they have a solid lead.

hdtvtechno said:
Seattle, Minneapolis, Miami, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Diego, Charlotte, Hartford, Nashville, West Palm Beach & Birmingham.
Phoenix, Cleveland, Denver, Orlando, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Raleigh - Durham, Kansas City, Columbus (OH), Milwaukee, Salt Lake City & Fresno.

and who is the reliable source, a D* worker or just some retailer, not to be negative, just dont wanna get my hopes up for may 06 when columbus turns on

hdtvtechno said:

If this is true they must not be going in DMA order like they said they were. These are the next 12 in market order:

13 Seattle-Tacoma
14 Phoenix (Prescott)
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul
16 Cleveland-Akron (Canton)
17 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
18 Denver
19 Sacramnto-Stkton-Modesto
20 Orlando-Daytona Bch-Melbrn
21 St. Louis
22 Pittsburgh
23 Portland, OR
24 Baltimore

Birmingham also has no pro teams either, this seems like a very odd bump up. If they were going to bump up much lower DMAs you would think they would have a good reason so I await to hear it.

Geez..."worker" could be anything from CSR or janitor, to uplink engineer or president. I think I'll wait until D* makes an official announcement to get my heart all in a flitter.;)

I've seen it mentioned that there may be some consideration of the percentage of HD subscribers in a market when determining the rollout schedule.

As with most things we "hear" in this arena, there may or may not be some truth to it, and I do not at all puport to be stating this with any degree of certainty or "inside knowledge", but it could explain why things don't necessarily follow the DMA listing verbatim.

I'm DMA #41 any ideas?

Also any idea on if I can call them and get upgraded to mpeg 4 dvrs now?

hank - you're in the Top 50, so either by the end of '06 or early '07.

EDIT: whoops...didn't see "MPEG4 DVR"...refer to lou_do's post..

Last edited:
hank527 said:
I'm DMA #41 any ideas?

Also any idea on if I can call them and get upgraded to mpeg 4 dvrs now?

They will not even be available until later this year. I have seen some reports that say the 2nd quarter of the year, and others ones that say the 3rd quarter.

charper1 said:
If they were going to bump up much lower DMAs you would think they would have a good reason so I await to hear it.
Just a shot in the dark, but how is HD cable penetration in Birmingham. Once you get to the 40-80 markets, there is not much difference in size so other factors such as DBS penetration and cable carriage could come into play.

For example, my market at #64 has no nets on any of the 3 main cable companies. So we may go ahead of a higher market since D* could see possible sub growth by offering something cable doesn't.

One other reason may be contracts and technical ability. If these aren't in line, then obviously a market can slip lower in the releases.

Status
Please reply by conversation.