The Nightmare On My Street!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
I know that Sat Guys has a computer section but like me, most of you probably don't go there. Since this computer is what I use to access Sat Guys I figgered I could put this here so you guys could see the nightmare on my street.

This is one of four multiboot computer systems I have. I have one other system besides this one that has identical hardware with the exception of the number of hard drives in it.

Two of these systems have an Asus P5K Pro socket 775 motherboards that I bought around 2009/10. They have been modified to run an Intel Xeon x5460 socket 771 processor that's a 3.61GHz Quad core server processor. They have 8GB of DDR2 memory in both. The one system here in the shop that I use the most has 8 bootable hard drives in it with 2 of those being SSDs with Linux Mint on one and Ubuntu Linux on the other. The other 6 have various flavors of Winders from Windowz XP to Windows 10. Several of those drives have two partitions on them and are used for storage. None of the primary boot partitions are larger than 80GB. Power supply in this one is 750 watts and it has an additional 150 watt power supply mounted on the back side of the desk that powers two 2 TB drives that I use to backup stuff via 3.0 USB ports.

Both these systems have older ATI Radeon 1650 PCIe video cards that I use specifically to run Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament 99 video games. They also have USB 3.0 PCIe add in cards to help speed up data transfers from the DVR drives used on my Satellite receivers.

Ennywho, I just wanted you guys to see what this "Gear Head" has done to modify his computer like he's done with race cars all his life.

Is "Gear Head Computer Nerd" an oxymoron?

Attachments

• puter1.jpg
    puter1.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 353
  • puter2.jpg
    puter2.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 321
You need to add water cooling to one of those systems, be more like a race car. :D

Reactions: Elkview
Nicely done! :clapping

BTW, isn't Unreal Tournament so 2003?

? Well, don't know exactly what you mean by that statement, but, Unreal Tournament 1999 was the first one that was released. There has been several released since then and I do have a copy of UT 2004 but I can't play that one or Quake IV because they give me motion sickness??

I spend most of my game time on UT 1999 though as it's single player game is about as close as I've seen to actual online gaming, which I gave up years ago because I'm internet challenged ping wise. You can't play against guys with a 30/40 ping when you're pinging 150!

And while we're talking about "Big Boyz Toyz", how about these two. I sold the dragster back in April of 2015 because it had gotten too expensive for my Social Security income. I still have that yellow car, which is a 1955 Studebaker Commander Pro Street/race car that's street legal too I might add. I built that car back in 1990/91 and it's got a full tube chassis and roll cage in it.

The best the dragster ever ran was 4.95 ET @ 142 MPH in the Eight mile. The Studebaker's best was 10.09 ET @ 137 MPH in the Quarter mile. That dragster, with it's raw speed and acceleration was the most fun I ever had with my cloths on. Nope, naked 71 year old fat guy doesn't paint a pretty picture does it? :censored :sorrysign

dragster2.JPG studepd.jpg

Must the race car influence. I'm a motorhead and build my own computers, but they never turned out like that. ;)

Yeah but yours is too neat and too expensive! :wink If I spent that much money in a computer I'd have to do a reverse mortgage on my house!

One thing for sure though is no one would ever mess with mine cuz they'd be afraid they'd get snake bit! The side cover never goes on mine as I'm always horking with it doing this or that. It's mate that's in the house does have the side cover on it as the Wife uses that one about as much as I do. That one only has 4 bootable drives in it, one of which is an SSD running Linux Mint 17.2.

Looks like the tuner card gets some air flow from the video cards... :)
Cool build though!

Nice. It gives me some ideas. Most people go buy a new PC though. But I have cases that are over 10 years old. I just upgrade my tower PC's as I go along. I never considered mounting stuff the way you do though.

Thanks for those amazing pictures, I know i haven't kept up with all the computer gadgetry now-I couldn't identify many of the parts of either computer, esp Magic's-I swear I saw vacuum lines on it like in my car engine! Can you see the 3 letter guys confiscating a computer like that and trying to figure out how to turn it on! LOL
The Studebaker is definitely sharp, LG.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Nice. It gives me some ideas. Most people go buy a new PC though. But I have cases that are over 10 years old. I just upgrade my tower PC's as I go along. I never considered mounting stuff the way you do though.

RE: Mounting stuff the way I do............... Keep in mind that pretty much nothing on/in that system is permanent. It's something that I'm always changing in one way or another and it's in my shop/garage so it doesn't have to be neat. :wink

Ran across some pictures just now of a gaming computer I built and used back in 2003. Back then I was a member of a LAN gaming outfit called Lynchburg Area Network Gaming, aka, LANGaming.net was the website address. We used to meet about twice a month at someone's house and play the games of that era, ie, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, UT 1999, Quake III, Medal of Honor, etc.

I called this computer my "No Case" and it would work even better today with the flat panel monitors. The idea was to limit how many trips I had to make to the car to get my stuff out and back in. I built the frame for it while I was working night shift as an industrial maintenance machinist for RR Donnelley in Lynchburg, Va. It was quite a conversation piece at the time.

1.jpg
6.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)