The Official 4DTV Maps Experimentation Thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I think we should use this area for any idea's or information regarding the 4DTV maps using 4play or whatever. I decided to put this in an open area so we can get the most exposure for idea's and information.

I am attaching the 4play exe file to start this off.

Lets get into some good discussions about what we can do before D day Dec 31. At this point not much is happening with support from Comcast so we need to rectify this one way or another.

Note: This is not a hacking thread where anything will be used to circumvent any encrypted DC2 transmissions. This is all about getting into the channel maps and updating them ourselves.

ALL ARE WELCOME to chime in. :)

Attachments

• 4play.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 474
Assuming 4Play is going to work with a 920/922 as expected, the major impediment will, at first, be getting a reasonably priced BDM to USB/RS232C cable that will work with it.

Anyone found/have one that will work yet?

DRCars

...Anyone found/have one that will work yet?...

It looks like the "USB BDM NT" that's sold at usbjtag.com is probably the right thing. It's 60 bucks & supports a connection to the DSR401 & 405.

I've also seen where this adapter has been connected to a DSR920 for sure. We won't discuss what that guy was doing. Just knowing that he made the connection in the first place serves our purpose here.

I've never seen any reports of it being connected to a 922. It would be nice if someone with a 922 that's not already in the home entertainment stack & not already connected to the spaghetti, would pop the cover & see if it has the 10 pin header. Any takers?

Cheers

It connects to a 405? interesting stuff. I have a 405. I wonder if I could convert to c band and use the 4play program to look at DC ITC stuff with my own maps on a 405?

It looks like the "USB BDM NT" that's sold at usbjtag.com is probably the right thing. It's 60 bucks & supports a connection to the DSR401 & 405.

I've also seen where this adapter has been connected to a DSR920 for sure. We won't discuss what that guy was doing. Just knowing that he made the connection in the first place serves our purpose here.

I've never seen any reports of it being connected to a 922. It would be nice if someone with a 922 that's not already in the home entertainment stack & not already connected to the spaghetti, would pop the cover & see if it has the 10 pin header. Any takers?

Cheers
Here are some pics of the interior of a DSR922. Note that there is not only a 10 pin but a 5 pin header. This IRD had tuner & board problems after someone here shorted out my lnb lead-in coax while the unit was still on & didn't say anything.:mad:
Now it's spare parts only.:(

Hope they're what you were looking for.;)

Attachments

• DSR922 10 pin header pics 002.jpg
    DSR922 10 pin header pics 002.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 557
  • DSR922 10 pin header pics 003.jpg
    DSR922 10 pin header pics 003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 548
  • DSR922 10 pin header pics 001.jpg
    DSR922 10 pin header pics 001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 506
...Hope they're what you were looking for.;)

Sure looks like it, thanks! Pic #2 shows it the best. They even labeled pin #1 for us... how nice of them. :)

Cheers

Edit: I just noticed that the pic filenames aren't the same as the order. By pic #2, I actually meant the middle one. lol.

spare parts

Now that I have this one open, I'll cannibalize the motor relay board for my other working unit with pulse counting problem.;)
Helps to have an extra excuse to open these up!:D

Edit:Yeah, I threw in the far right pic for good measure.

Now....going by memory I think I remember....
The BDM cables that work with 4PLAY are P.E. micro
P&E Microcomputer Systems - CABLE_16/32 - CPU16/3xx BDM Interface (5V, Parallel Port) - 68HC16, CPU3xx, Interface Hardware/Cable
P&E Microcomputer Systems - CABLE_16/32LV - CPU16/3xx Low-Voltage BDM Interface (3.3V, Parallel Port) - 68HC16, CPU3xx, Interface Hardware/Cable

or Macraigor
Wiggler

Be carefull, as some cables are 3.3V and others 5V. I believe the 4DTV is a 5V box, but other models of IRD's are 3.3V (i.e. 401)

The Official 4DTV Maps Experimentation Thread ...Nice. Sounds vaguely familiar...wonder where this idea came from. :rolleyes:

And ya' got it stickied too! How 'bout that.... :bow

Last edited:
The Official 4DTV Maps Experimentation Thread ...Nice. Sounds vaguely familiar...wonder where this idea came from. :rolleyes:

;)

And ya' got it stickied too! How 'bout that.... :bow

Nice to know people in high places :D Thank You Ice.

I think that the experimentation thread would be best in the WUT section, so as to keep prying eyes out. If someone has a 920/922 and wants to play with the maps, they should sign up for WUT if they haven't already. Anything I come up with with the wiggler will only be posted in a closed area. I encourage others to do the same, we really need experienced programmers.

I think that the experimentation thread would be best in the WUT section, so as to keep prying eyes out. If someone has a 920/922 and wants to play with the maps, they should sign up for WUT if they haven't already. Anything I come up with with the wiggler will only be posted in a closed area. I encourage others to do the same, we really need experienced programmers.
I tried that...here ya' go: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpe...874-official-4dtv-experimentation-thread.html
For some reason 1. Interest died in July. 2. I asked for it to be a STICKY... That never happened, so it got buried in the old posts. That caused #1 I'm sure. And 3. TVROpro takes the idea, copies the name almost exactly and gets it stickied in here! :rant:FWIW that's the link to it. :rolleyes:

I agree that there are benefits to having it in a hidden area. But there are also benefits to having it in an open area. The closed area protects the info but the open area allows more input. At this stage we are fishing for people that are interested and can do something. If they are new to sat-guys and have no WUT access we could loose the help of someone who could really help out. Maybe at this point we should get all we can involved that can help out with the nitty gritty in this open area, then ask Ice for those who will be working on it that don't have WUT access to get it granted, then do the real deep experimenting and helping in a hidden WUT area. What do you guys think of that?

Euro
I didn't mean to take your idea or upset you. I know it wasn't flying in WUT because of access problems. Time is drawing near and we need to get this going so thats why I resurrected it here. The sticky part was done by Ice when I asked him yesterday. (Ice has been good to me about that and threads :) )

Last edited:
Does anyone have a save of their DSR920 memory map with the 4PLAY program with the generics in it? Even if the 4Play can not decode the saved file to a text file, all the data should be there in the saved file and it should be able to restore the generics to a receiver with no generics.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to spark some interest in open area, but people need to be redirected to closed area for any mapping, etc information (IMO)

Euro, why not ask ICE to sticky your post?

I don't see anything wrong with trying to spark some interest in open area, but people need to be redirected to closed area for any mapping, etc information (IMO)

Euro, why not ask ICE to sticky your post?
I did a while back, but it was a popular thread when I asked him, and he figured it would stay near the top and he'd keep an eye on it. Then after a while it died down. :( As our Moderator, he probably stays pretty busy around here and he probably just overlooked it.

I did a while back, but it was a popular thread when I asked him, and he figured it would stay near the top and he'd keep an eye on it. Then after a while it died down. :( As our Moderator, he probably stays pretty busy around here and he probably just overlooked it.

Ice is pretty good but he's human too and forgets things like we all do. I was talking with him concerning a trick for DirecTv yesterday on PM's and brought it up. Sticky's are the best to keep interest up. I was in the right place at the right time thats all.

Link to the thread in WUT

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpe...874-official-4dtv-experimentation-thread.html
For those with access, this one already has some good info. As tvropro and lonewolf454 said, it may be a good idea to keep the "general" talk in this open area, and then as more of the "4D'ers" taking part in this necessary project, get access granted to WUT, and more user-programming info is shared, we continue in there. I will ask Iceberg again, if it can be made a sticky, so it stays on top.

Status
Please reply by conversation.