The Old PBS HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If it has the promos then it is for public viewing. It will very likely be 1 week behind local station presentation.

It's schedule matches up with my local affiliate, I think each PBS affilliate simulcasts it and timeshifts it. Charlie Rose is timeshifted an hour after NOVA, but NOVA was on schedule.

It's schedule matches up with my local affiliate, I think each PBS affilliate simulcasts it and timeshifts it. Charlie Rose is timeshifted an hour after NOVA, but NOVA was on schedule.
Not at the PBS affiliate I worked at. The signal that we took had fade to black and then bars & often tone tween the shows. Some like DFW (central) area use the mtn feed to push the sch an hr later. It all depends on the station. Some don't even follow the nat sch and record & present at the times they want.

From what I understand, the HD01/HD02 feeds, which are complete, are used for feeding any programming "live" that is not a special event. Shows can be recorded off of this feed to air at a later date, and I assume they are in many cases, but it is padded with promos and whatnot anyway. There is no feed of the News Hour at 7PM Eastern, for example, other than this feed.

HD03 shows the News Hour an hour early, Charlie Rose an hour early, etc. I believe this to also be where live News Hour events are aired, but I have yet to actually watch one here. This one goes to bars and tone.

HD04 contains all the oddball shows that aren't provided directly by PBS, so the ones that are produced by the member stations and distributed across the country. Again, this one goes to bars and tone.

- Trip

From what I understand, the HD01/HD02 feeds, which are complete, are used for feeding any programming "live" that is not a special event. Shows can be recorded off of this feed to air at a later date, and I assume they are in many cases, but it is padded with promos and whatnot anyway. There is no feed of the News Hour at 7PM Eastern, for example, other than this feed.

HD03 shows the News Hour an hour early, Charlie Rose an hour early, etc. I believe this to also be where live News Hour events are aired, but I have yet to actually watch one here. This one goes to bars and tone.

HD04 contains all the oddball shows that aren't provided directly by PBS, so the ones that are produced by the member stations and distributed across the country. Again, this one goes to bars and tone.

- Trip
They may have changed their feed set up since I worked for PBS. Almost every thing we took had bars & tone then a count count to on air. The majority of what went on air we recorded and replayed at the sch time. In fact some was more edited than others (we were supposed to take that-didn't always happen) Cause the former GM at the place thought that the station could be sued if we didn't take the more censored version. CE & I keep telling station people that that wasn't the case as that would mean that some one would have to sue both the University & the net as well as the station. Back to the subject though the main feeds may now have the promos so that there is never any black that could accidentally go on air. Some automation systems go nuts if they "see" black for more than 10 secs. I know that there were changes to come to PBS not long after I left and went to a CBS/Telemundo station. I worked for all the major nets except ABC. The worse to work for was FOX. Worked w/another eng/op when at the CBS station and he had the same experience w/ FOX as I had had. FOX and time schs don't always mesh up like they should. It's like their op center is plus or minus 5 secs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)