The Orville on Hulu

Once again they are using their single sex species in broken metaphors about homosexuality and gender politics. Single sex species are a real thing and they don't have males and females, that's why they are called single sex. Worse they define male and female by behavior, fertility, and physical appearance, stereotypes they are fighting against. I wish they would give up on being woke because they suck at it. And for the guy who is going to tell me I don't have to watch it, well you don't have to read my comments.

Reactions: primestar31
Except the Moclans aren't really a single-sex species.
It was established in s1. They explicitly say the Moclans are a single sex species. But then they started calling infertile Moclans, female, in some attempt at a gender metaphor. Infertility isn't a gender, it's a medical condition. The writers probably thought they were inventing something but single sex species exist and all individuals are both male and female.

It was established in s1. They explicitly say the Moclans are a single sex species. But then they started calling infertile Moclans, female, in some attempt at a gender metaphor. Infertility isn't a gender, it's a medical condition. The writers probably thought they were inventing something but single sex species exist and all individuals are both male and female.
I guess you didnt see the episode where the little girl was hatched and forced to become a boy

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I guess you didnt see the episode where the little girl was hatched and forced to become a boy

That was episode 2. :D About a Girl IIRC. There was also an old lady Moclan who was forced to live in a monastery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
There can't be a sex change if you only have one sex. What would they change it to? The answer is they corrected sterility. The so called "male" secondary sex characteristics are just normal Moclan physiology at sexual maturity. The lack of those traits isn't a gender.

There can't be a sex change if you only have one sex. What would they change it to? The answer is they corrected sterility. The so called "male" secondary sex characteristics are just normal Moclan physiology at sexual maturity. The lack of those traits isn't a gender.
watch the episode

Reactions: TheKrell
Didn't ST:tNG have an episode where the species needed three genetic parents to produce offspring?

I'll continue to watch, for now. At least it's not a yet-another-dystopian future attempt at Sci-Fi.

They have two sexes. Watch that episode. IF one is born female, they do a surgical sex change and make it male.

Didn't ST:tNG have an episode where the species needed three genetic parents to produce offspring?

I'll continue to watch, for now. At least it's not a yet-another-dystopian future attempt at Sci-Fi.
ST:ENT had a 3-sex species, ST:TNG had an androgynous race that had tendencies toward one sex or the other.

Thanks, I knew it was on the Enterprise, but it was a question of which Time? ;)

I also remember the Trill from Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. The episode on ST:tNG where Doctor Crusher had a romance with a Trill and couldn't handle it when the Trill transferred to a different body was at the essence of "Love is Love is Love": are you in Love with the spirit/soul, or with the physical container of that soul? (I guess I read enough Heinlein at an early enough age to "grok" what the writers wanted to convey in that episode.)

Maybe I was thinking of the species that had a "surrogate" sub-species that was used to carry the two dominate sexes' offspring. Does that ring a bell?

(I really need to go to work; I could chat about this all day, but I feel my manager might be annoyed...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts