The Orville on Hulu

From everything I've seen, it looks like CBS is already bracing for Discovery to be a flop, and they're entertaining the original anothology series idea again, that was proposed before producers settled on just Discovery.
Star Trek: Discovery Won't Be Shown to Critics
'Star Trek: Discovery' News: CBS Will Not Be Screening Upcoming Series for Critics

Also, found out why the Klingons had to be changed. During the CBS/Paramount split, CBS got the TV series and Paramount got the Movies. And since the modern Klingon design came from the movies, and not Next Generation, Paramount owns that Klingon design.

Since this takes place before the original series isn't the question why don't they look like those early Klingons?

Haha!

index.php.jpg

I'd rather watch a show like the Orville that has the flavor of Star Trek without it being Star Trek, than watch a show that IS Star Trek but just completely butchers the franchise.

I think the ST Discovery showrunners took notice of the darkness of DS9, followed by the darkness of the new Battlestar Galactica, and think that's all people want anymore in their shows of this sort.

That's NOT true Star Trek values as laid out in TOS, so it just doesn't interest me so much. DS9 was the only ST series I couldn't watch beyond the 2nd season, and haven't to this day.

Loved the "V'ger" background music while taking the shuttle over to the Ark ship. Reminiscent of "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky" from TOS, although they rolled in some other episodes as well. Can't wait to see what the Tribble analog is in this series. Or the "Cut of the Action", I imagine Seth would have great fun with that.

The show is a must-see now.

So, unless it REALLY bombs hard, (or costs far too much) I think they'll keep it around quite a while. Imagine the press IF they manage to do better ratings than the new Star Trek series, or even cause that one to be canceled early?

My only hope is that FOX (specifically Dana Walden) doesn't look at the ratings drop from having moved Orville to Thursdays and then think "Oh, this show is a failure, it lost 50% of its viewers and 18-49 demo from the Sunday slot, so we should cancel it." :mad

I mean, they should have expected that without the NFL lead-in, plus moving it to a work day at 9 pm, would obviously lower the viewership. It's not because the show's bad. It's because the time slot is bad.

I don't know if we'll ever get the numbers for Discovery for comparison, since it's not airing on network tv, but honestly I hope Discovery fails. Yes, the first episode was viewed by nearly 10 million, but that's only because it was broadcast on tv and because people were curious to check it out after a 12-year hiatus on Star Trek. Now that it's only airing on CBS All Access, I'm sure the viewing figures will take a substantial hit.

In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when comparing the first episode of Discovery with the first episode of Orville, Discovery had more total viewers, but Orville beat it by a wide margin in the 18-49 demo, which is more important from an advertising perspective.

Since this takes place before the original series isn't the question why don't they look like those early Klingons?
During the Paramount/CBS split, Paramount got the movies, and CBS got the TV series.

Since the look of the Klingons in TNG and Deep Space 9 was introduced in Star Trek the Movie, Paramount and not CBS owns that design.

CBS does own the look that came from the TV series, but I guess they didn't want to use 60's Klingons.

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode. It was a classic TNG type episode, and great. I also noticed their getting better at time the humor, so that it's there but not forced.

Yeah, as I said in the Discovery thread (which was pointed out I was in the wrong thread):

I think they'll find the sweet spot in the humor/seriousness department in due time.

I found last night's episode nicely done. Issac's "practical joke" on Malloy in retaliation for Gordon's previous joke, for example. Humor, what a concept!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts