The Orville on Hulu

I'm finding that I'm humming the theme song for Orville now, like I used to do with the previous Trek series' themes.

Discovery, on the other hand... *facepalm*

Reactions: Pepper
FOXNOW App, whatever your platform, is what I use to watch. Avoids all those pesky Live Sports entanglements...

Is FoxNow a free app? Add supported?

I liked episode 5 too, though I'm a sucker for time travel stories. :D

Is FoxNow a free app? Add supported?

I liked episode 5 too, though I'm a sucker for time travel stories. :D

Time travel stories give me a headache.

1: Without her, they originally died from the "Dark Matter" and the Orville was destroyed.
2: She came back in time through the wormhole to save them and steal the Orville
3: They destroyed the stable wormhole. So, it would no longer exist in her future, and she couldn't have come back to save them.

Loop back to number 1 infinitely.

They should have ceased to exist right after destroying the wormhole... In which case the wormhole would pop back into existence (since they no longer existed to destroy it) then she'd come back to save them, etc, etc, etc...

1: Without her, they originally died from the "Dark Matter" and the Orville was destroyed.
2: She came back in time through the wormhole to save them and steal the Orville
3: They destroyed the stable wormhole. So, it would no longer exist in her future, and she couldn't have come back to save them.

They should have ceased to exist right after destroying the wormhole... In which case the wormhole would pop back into existence (since they no longer existed to destroy it) then she'd come back to save them, etc, etc, etc...

Bet you're a joy at parties.. :p:p

I hate poorly done time travel stories. Good ones like TNG's Time's Arrow are highly satisfying.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
I believe Captain Mercer said that the moment Pria saves the Orville it created a quantum uncertainty event (the Orville exists/doesn't exist) and so the timeline that Pria comes from where the Orville was "destroyed" still exists and the timeline the Orville nows occupies exists, but doesn't include Pria coming back to since the Orville was never destroyed. You could make the case that the Orville wouldn't have been destroyed if they hadn't diverted to rescue Pria in the first place and she sabotaged the navigation systems. And really, they only have her word that they were supposed to die. How do we know the whole thing wasn't set up by her in the first place?

So I'm fine with the Orville and the crew surviving their "Fate". The Timeline we're watching is the one where the Orville wasn't destroyed, obviously... ;)

Oh, the Transporter Trinket that Ed grabbed from Pria should evaporate the same as she did. Now, to be fully compliant, there should be no record of her, so it will be interesting if the show comes back to this personal transportation device in a future episode.

Right you are. This is why I like time travel stories; it exercises the brain. One thing that bothers me about time travel into the past is not just the logical paradoxes, but what I call a "freestanding time loop". This is a time travel story where events are logically consistent, but there's no way for the loop to get started in the first place. Now when I was younger and could still remember things, I could have listed the number of stories I read with freestanding time loops. Alas, now I'm older and haven't thought about them again until now. The memory engrams are gone. :crying

Reactions: Tampa8
What's an engram????

Ah, did you ever watch The Ultimate Computer from TOS? From Memory Alpha:
An engram or memory engram was an impression made physically in neural tissue of the brain by any mental stimulus, thereby explaining the persistence of memory.

Shortly before 2268, Dr. Richard Daystrom developed multitronics – a method of constructing a computer that could think, and of impressing memory engrams upon its circuits. The result was the M-5 multitronic unit, developed with Daystrom's own engrams. As Daystrom was near a nervous breakdown at the time, the M-5 was (like its predecessors M-1 through M-4) "not entirely successful". While multitronics showed some promise, it was eventually superseded by isolinear circuitry. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer")

The ultimate computer could potentially have replaced the entire bridge crew of the Enterprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts