The Orville on Hulu

It's hard to explain, but good storytelling, writing and acting sometimes pays off more than you think.

Even though for all intents and purposes, last night's episode was boring, it still resonated with me as a viewer. Aside from a fantastic guest role from Tim Russ (Tuvok) and some funny jokes (Wireless Telecommunications Facility acronym anyone?), there were some really good takeaways from the episode itself. All of our experiences and memories shape who we are as a person. You can't just delete one event or make one slight alteration to a person's life and expect everything else to stay the same. Similar to that Voyager episode "Fair Haven", where Janeway was altering that character in the holodeck to make him more attractive and appealing.

And then you think to yourself about how this episode would apply to us as well. Present day, people are obsessed with their smartphones and with stuff that in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter. Assuming humans are still around 400 years from now, what would they think looking back at how we are today? Will any of us actually be remembered centuries from now?

When you're able to take what should be a boring Star Trek episode, manage to keep me watching through the entire thing, and get me to come away with an emotional connection and response, being able to relate to the episode, relate to the characters, and think of how it applies to us as a people right now as I type this... that has to say something about the writing and the acting.

When you're able to take what should be a boring Star Trek episode, manage to keep me watching through the entire thing, and get me to come away with an emotional connection and response, being able to relate to the episode, relate to the characters, and think of how it applies to us as a people right now as I type this... that has to say something about the writing and the acting.
That to me, is the essence of what makes good Star Trek.

I would if I had any idea what I wanted to watch ...
Looking at other channels is the starting point. I found on Quest a program "Swamp Loggers" that I liked, admittedly it was about 10 years old. Problem is Quest is changing their schedule so "Swamp Loggers" isn't opposite "Orville" now I have to start hunting again.

3/21/19 episode was just the straw that broke the Camels back. I deleted it from the DVR immediately. Poor story lines and breaks in programming are just too much.

It's hard to explain, but good storytelling, writing and acting sometimes pays off more than you think.

Even though for all intents and purposes, last night's episode was boring, it still resonated with me as a viewer. Aside from a fantastic guest role from Tim Russ (Tuvok) and some funny jokes (Wireless Telecommunications Facility acronym anyone?), there were some really good takeaways from the episode itself. All of our experiences and memories shape who we are as a person. You can't just delete one event or make one slight alteration to a person's life and expect everything else to stay the same. Similar to that Voyager episode "Fair Haven", where Janeway was altering that character in the holodeck to make him more attractive and appealing.

And then you think to yourself about how this episode would apply to us as well. Present day, people are obsessed with their smartphones and with stuff that in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter. Assuming humans are still around 400 years from now, what would they think looking back at how we are today? Will any of us actually be remembered centuries from now?

I came away with much of the same thinking. Not the best of episodes but it kept my attention anyway and had a "real" feeling about it. They picked the perfect girl to play the part also. (Leighton Meester) A better episode than you might give it credit for.

Also this week was not limited commercial breaks. The difference seems to be many commercial breaks to even more many commercial breaks. :(

Also this week was not limited commercial breaks. The difference seems to be many commercial breaks to even more many commercial breaks. :(

The standard announcement about limited commercial breaks was included.

and some funny jokes (Wireless Telecommunications Facility acronym anyone?)
One of my favorite lines was after the game of Pictionary and all their friends had left. Malloy says something along the lines of "Yeah, sorry about `Dick van Dyke', I didn't know who he was and I did my best." You can imagine exactly what Gordon would have drawn without having to show it, which is funnier than what Seth would usually do (show us).

I didn't think the episode was boring at all, I think it is among the best episodes yet. No weird moclan mating rituals or broken metaphors about gender. Brutas smoked the cigarettes when I half expected him to do something weird and sexual with them. More like this please and more space battles. I did find it odd they acted as if this was the first time someone fell for a holo character, I'm sure it's happened before.

I was kind of expecting the girl to be his great great great great great grand mother
I thought the same thing, especially after he mentioned his mother/father (can't remember which) had the same name. So fully expected her and Greg to be his great-great-grandparents.

Especially after he slept with her and knowing Seth McFarlane's humor.

Ironic that the storyline had parallels to the first episode of "The Twilight Zone" that CBS All Access has up on YouTube for free. The idea that the people in our lives affect the person we are now; remove someone from existence and you're a different person.

And then I finished up "Lucifer" on Netflix which included a pair of never-aired episodes, the last one being a "What If?" episode where a key event in the past was changed. Almost the same premise, but in this case I didn't think of this episode from "The Orville" but "Stargate Atlantis" and their alternate universe where Shepard was a Las Vegas detective.

Anyway, just another week before "The Orville" returns!

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts