"The Price is Right" - Why Do All Contestants Where Lapel Mics?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I've been a longtime viewer of TPIR, remembering back to the early 70s when the show was "The New TPIR" (to differentiate the Bill Cullen-hosted version from the 60s), the syndicated nighttime show hosted by Dennis James, and the transition of the daytime show from 30 minutes to 1 hour. Didn't this happen when CBS ended the "Love of Life" soap which aired at 11:30am ET? But, I digress...

My question pertains to why and how long contestants on the current show have been wearing lapel mics? I did not realize this until a week ago when a female contestant stumbled while climbing the stairs toward the big turntable and Drew. The camera had a rear view of her (with Drew in the background awaiting her arrival from contestants' row) when she stumbled - her shirt flew up enough to reveal the mic transmitter clipped to the back of her jeans. When she finally reached Drew and turned around, I could see the mic clipped to the top of her shirt. From then, I've noticed that all contestants are wearing mics. How long has this been done? And, why is it necessary when the podiums in contestants' row and the showcase have hard-wired mics and Drew has a handheld mic which he can quickly pivot from his mouth to the contestant's? It would also seem that everyone in the audience (minus those who only wish to be spectators) would need to be "miked-up" prior to taking their seats - that's a lot of wireless mics to be handing out, as well as master control determining which mic to "make hot" when the "come on down" is given.

Eric

In the past, constestants were picked outside while everyone was lined up. DOn't know if they still do that.

S~

From what I understand is the people are miced after they get to contestants row. So when they come on down they are not wearing a mic, hen they get to the podioum they are not wearing a mic, but after commercial break they are wearing a mic.

I was a big fan of the Price is right, but not so much since Drew took over. I like Drew but he seems to have no control over the contestants like Bob did. People are walking all over Drew now when no one would have did that to Bob.

I was a big fan of the Price is right, but not so much since Drew took over. I like Drew but he seems to have no control over the contestants like Bob did. People are walking all over Drew now when no one would have did that to Bob.

yup. It should be called "Make an idiot of yourself" because it seems like everyone wants to make a fool of themselves. Maybe its a contest of how many random people you hug or hi five when coming down to contestants row.
The way they edit the show now it must take them 2 hours to take a 45 minute show

I like Drew. He doesn't take himself or the show that seriously. He laughs at some of the bullsh*t that goes on ,as much as I do. I must have similar sense of humor. OF course I liked his other show he had in the 90s too.

I too agree that Drew has grown into the role very well. I very much like the show and the way Drew handles it. It was a disappointment that Bob Barker was excluded from the 40th anniversary show because of animal cruelty issues. (One of the recent prizes included a trip to a rodeo).

I just saw this thread today and looked and yes, there are lapel mics so why is everyone trying to grab Drew's mic closer? lol

Maybe this had something to do with that:

bob-barker.jpg

To the original ?, at the beginning, none of the 1st 4 are miked. Then, magically, after the 1st person goes on stage, without a mike, the remaining 3 are miked. The next from the audience will be unmiked and if he/she goes on stage right away, they remain unmiked. If they don't go on stage right away, they too will magically be miked. This started a few years ago. Good quality cordless mikes are now quite cheap. But, my question is, where to they hide the transmitter? I have looked at the contestants for the last few years and I can never see it, or see a bulge under a tee shirt, handing from the back of the shirt collar, etc. The newer cordless transmitters can be quite small, but they have to be somewhere. BTW, I didn't think much of Drew for the host, but I too, really like him now. I never like the previous announcer; too much "announcer-man" stuff in his voice. But, George is great, especially reading the teleprompter and jumping on a trampoline or playing ping pong, or such. I also like his retro Shure 55 carnival barker's mike. BTW, I also thought that no one could ever replace McLean Stevenson on MASH, but Harry Morgan, IMO, was even better and a whole lot more realistic in the doctor role.

:welcome to Satelliteguys actodesco! (even though you have been here for 2.5 years!)

Thanks for the welcomes. Yes I have been around here for a few years and have gotten some good info in other threads. Back to TPIR mikes, my son said that maybe they are super miniature mikes and transmitters. I told him naw, can't be and he reminded me of the little blue tooth earpieces. And then, I added that we were 2 way, to boot. TV mikes don't need to be 2 way. So, maybe, the transmitter is just on the other side of the clip, behind the collar or shirt placard. In my former life, 5 years ago, I did some TV production and at that time there was nothing like it. The UHF Sennheiser units were probably the smallest, pro quality wireless mikes, at that time. So, I googled it and really found nothing similar. But, if the receiver antenna was on the edge of the stage or hanging from the lighting grid, it would probably work pretty well.

I am convinced that the selectees know in advance. I also believe that to be picked they must audition. And the biggest idiots are picked. Personally liked the show much better when Barker was the host.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)